Re: Lumia 929 (now "Icon") moved to January
AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

So I've got my Incipio Feather case for the Lumia Icon all ready and waiting for Verizon to actually RELEASE this damn thing, and noticed my 928 is significantly shorter but not much narrower than the 929 will be (about the same thickness).  A much more subtle difference than I was expecting (like holding the ginormous 1520 in my hand).

Also I highly recommend the Incipio Feather.  In addition to protection, it has the textured plastic feel and is easily the thinnest case available for my 928 (and probably the Icon too).

0 Likes
tabletman

Same boat as you.  Been waiting for this phone since October.  I'm rocking an iphone 4 right now and nearly every day I almost throw it at the wall.  From everything I've heard Verizon was waiting for the Nokia Microsoft deal to go through.  I'm stuck on a family plan that we just signed our parents up on as well so I may end up with a shiny new Android phone soon if they are truly waiting for the merger to complete and Microsoft to take over order fulfillment to vendors.  I agree with you that no matter how you look at it it's a failure on Verizon, Microsoft and Nokia's parts to bring this phone to market.  The missed out on the Christmas buying season for Verizon.  What they did do successfully was with AT&T and T-Mobile.  They sold the crap out of the Lumia 520 at the $59 price point cash and carry (T-Mobile Lumia 521 was slightly more expensive at $69).  If Verizon would have had a value Windows phone at that price point I would have bought it JUST to try it out while waiting for the premium phone.  Alas, despite standing here with money in my hand Verizon, Nokia and Microsoft failed to sell me something.  Unbelievable. 

0 Likes
wulfAlpha

In theory I agree with you. The dearth of windows phone 8 on Verizon is ridiculous. But why would Verizon wait for the Nokisoft deal? I'm not affiliated with Verizon but I still haven't seen any rumors that agree with that statement. Do you have a link? I'd like to check it out. If not that's fine, I'll just continue to ask qui bono?

Sent from my Windows Phone

0 Likes
tabletman

just random scuttlebutt. Verizon is too tight-lipped to be able to say

which is why we are all relegated to rumors. I follow @evleaks and a few

others on Twitter to get what scant info there is. I wish I had something

solid to offer you, but it seems the most plausible because can you think

of a good reason to NOT sell a phone with a 20 MP camera during the

Christmas shopping season? I can't come up with any good ones.

0 Likes
Kohld
Contributor - Level 1

On one hand I really do not care if Verizon likes the rumors being spread around about their internal business dealings but on the other hand I hope it has them gnashing their teeth in outrage as I feel that way about their pathetic customer relations.

The reality is if only one side is talking then we can only listen to one side.

I am scrambling right now trying to find an alternative to ordering this phone, if it ever does come out, or any other phone from Verizon. My long term goal is to get all of my devices off contract so I can take my business elsewhere but I may have to bite the bullet and buy one last device to carry me over. It is too bad they no longer offer the 1 year contracts as that would fit perfectly in my plans.

0 Likes
Kohld
Contributor - Level 1

Well since the phone has not appeared, and Verizon is still ignoring us, I gave up, after my current phone locked up 4 times today, and went with a cheap android phone to carry me over while I let each of my family's phone contracts run out. This time next year I hope to be a former customer.

Good luck everyone who is still hanging in there.

0 Likes
AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

HAHAH!  If I want a Verizon phone I have to import it myself from China!  This is ridiculous on top of ridiculous!

http://wmpoweruser.com/verizon-nokia-lumia-icon929-now-on-sale-in-china/

0 Likes
wulfAlpha

Say whaaaaa!? Lol beyond ridiculous! I guess Exclusive doesn't mean what I thought it meant. Inconceivable!

but any way. I haven't given up hope yet but a warning to Verizon, if my contract runs out before this phone comes out im outta here!

0 Likes
tabletman

I cant believe I let myself believe that Verizon would bring us what we

wanted. Im starting to think about taking my family plan to ATT. Truth is

they (ATT) move more quickly to adopt and they seem to discuss plans more

openly with their customers than Verizon. Im very unhappy with they way

Verizon seems to be intentionally supressing Windows Phone and boxing us

into an IOS and Android for our choices. "You want a Windows phone? Sure.

We have three. There are more models of the iphone to choose from than the

Windows phones we offer."

0 Likes
Kohld
Contributor - Level 1

Have you also noticed that almost no OEM's offer built-in mobile broadband for Verizon? The only one I have seen lately that had them as an option was a Lenovo laptop.

Every device I have lusted after the last few years have mainly had AT&T as the only option. It seems that Verizon's arrogance extends to dealing with the OEM's as well as the customer.

It is unfortunate the way the business model has evolved for mobile devices in the US. We need to find a way, other than government regulation, to break their stranglehold on the devices so we can purchase the devices that meet our needs and move freely between providers without having to replace them all.

0 Likes