Just tell us the truth
mhb2941

Dear Verizon,

You really seem to miss the level of frustration that exists by not providing the 8.1update.  It is not days behind, not even weeks, it’s months behind.  Something is obviously going on that you (Verizon) are not telling us (Verizon Windows Customers). It is almost as if you wish to end your participation in the ecosystem entirely.  Regardless, you owe us a better explanation that references to company policy and curt “we here ya” styled replies. 

It is not as if your customers are being unreasonable, we simply wish to know when you will provide an upgrade. If the answer is never, at least tell us.  Trust me, deal with this now, it is not the Nokia/Microsoft brand being hurt – it is Verizon.

As a business, we always stay current with upgrades and demand our vendors provide them in a timely manner. You have failed on this point.  Failed! Either report the truthful status of the delinquent upgrade or our entire company will make a change, and not just the Windows phone users.  

A very frustrated customer

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Just tell us the truth
evilkingteapot
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand the frustration with Verizon but I am beginning to think they're not the only one's at fault here. For months I was steaming that there was no Cyan update and in the past Verizon has been painfully slow in getting out updates. In some cases they've even discontinued work on updates they said would be available. Their lack of communication to both the customer service reps and customers does not do Verizon any favors. You would think that someone would just address the problem directly and say "this is why Cyan is not out yet." And for that I say "Verizon, you suck."

But now that Joe Belfiore has come out and tweeted that "MS/Verizon are working on some bug fixes-- VZW taking the quality seriously. We aren't sure how long it will take, but work is underway." I know that everyone loves Joe because he's Mr. Likeable. He always pumps the social media channels but he got where he is because he's good at what he does - interacting with people. What I'm seeing from that statement is that Microsoft is downplaying the severity of the bugs that Verizon may be finding with Cyan. And with Microsoft's history of crap updates, I don't really blame Verizon here. Verizon makes money selling and supporting things that work with Windows Phone. So if MS breaks a bluetooth stack and someone's heart monitor stops working, Verizon will get the flak for it.

If Microsoft/Nokia/whatever you want to call them now is really serious about pushing regular updates to phones like Apple does, than push your providers to allow OTA updates on your schedule. Or here's a better idea - maybe not barrage the hell out of me with Cortana ads when I can't use Cortana. It just makes me mad at the brand. Wait until the software is out before hyping the hell out of it. Maybe someone can ask their 8.1 phone with Cortana if Cyan will ever be ready for release.

There are lots of reasons why I don't think Windows Phone will continue to be a viable platform and am considering switching to a new phone and possibly service provider at the same time. You make Windows Phone 8 incompatible with Windows Phone 7, you require developers to use Windows 8.1 to use a version of Visual Studio that will work with Windows Phone 8............ It just kills me because I think Microsoft has a good platform, but they really need to send someone to Harvard business school to study how Apple does things. If you're going to buy Nokia and go all in then GO ALL **** IN! And I don't mean paying CNN analysts to use Windows Phone as a kickstand for their iPhones.

Tidbits
Legend

I just want to say...  Apple is a poor comparison.  It's a placebo effect.

If you ever join ADC you'll find out some devices and for certain carriers are finished long before others do.  The only thing Apple does is wait for ALL of them to be finished before pushing them out.

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

But Cortana is available on many models, including VZW's M8. They should advertise it. Further, Mr. Belfiore is being diplomatic. Verizon is being silent. Verizon probably just recently bothered to test the update and kicked it back. AT&T seems to have worked with MS right when they got their hands on the update. We'll be lucky to see it before the year is over.

vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Alexvrb,

Att's devices are experiencing bugs with the 8.1 update.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits, I thought this to be the case about Apple. But Microsoft is still not agile enough, because if Microsoft waited to release when all devices were updated, and hid from the public that some phones were finished while others were not, then all Windows Phones would be obsolete twice over.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I am not going to say what I said months ago.  I wrote it over and over, and tried to get people to do things differently.  FCC, BBB, and so forth and so on isn't working.

At this point all I am going to say is:

Look at Europe if you want to change how updates are done.  They blame the manufacturers, and we blame the carrier.  They have the results we want. 

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits, go back and look at my post, I never was on that FCC, BBB bandwagon. I assume you were lumping me with such users.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Go back and read my post number 5, I am blaming a lot on Microsoft here.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I wasn't pointing at you at anyone really. I know someone will eventually come in saying should do what everyone has been doing for the past 6 years.

I am going to get called a troll or Verizon shill. Someone may claim they have insider information and reveal anything to back it up or even say anything about said information other than people should believe him.

I am waiting for those guys to come in this thread so I thought of taking a preemptive strike.

0 Likes