Issues connecting Trophy to computer
homerchuck
Enthusiast - Level 1

Previously, when I connected my Trophy to my computer, I would get a drop-down menu that asked me if I simply wanted to charge the phone, download data, etc. I am afraid that the last time I was exiting it, I may have clicked on the "do not show this menu again" button. Anyway, now when I connect the phone to the computer I get no menu. In fact, when I go into "My Computer", the phone is no longer even recognized or listed as a connected device. It will still automatically sync photos when I open Zune. I don't think that connecting it to the computer is even charging my phone at this time, although there is an indication at the upper right corner of the phone screen that it is being charged.

I have called Verizon tech support three times. The first person told me that if I place my finger at the top of the screen and pulled down that the missing menu would open back up and I could uncheck the box that I may have erroneously check saying that I didn't want to see the menu again. That didn't work and there was no such menu provided. The next time I called tech support we discussed trying to resolve it through Zune but did not get anything resolved. The third call to tech support ended up with him suggesting a hard reset. I resist that shotgun attempt at a solution because of all the other repercussions and unfavorable consequences that I have experienced on resetting of previous phones. Basically, I do not think that tech support has been  able to offer a solution because they are, unfortunately, not particular conversant with Windows phones. They're nice, but that doesn't fix my phone.

I also tried this solution suggested in this forum for resolving the problem when the USB is not recognized. However, that will not work for me because when I power the phone back up and hold down the camera button, I get the message to plug in my phone, but since my phone is now no longer recognized by either my home or office computer, nothing happens.

What must I do so that my phone is recognized by my computers and to restore the menu? When I first plugged my phone in last night at home, after dealing with it earlier at the office with my first call to tech support, I did get a message that it was downloading current drivers. However, the phone never showed up on "My Computer". Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Issues connecting Trophy to computer
jstfinkaboutit
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Previously, when I connected my Trophy to my computer, I would get a drop-down menu that asked me if I simply wanted to charge the phone, download data, etc. I am afraid that the last time I was exiting it, I may have clicked on the "do not show this menu again" button. Anyway, now when I connect the phone to the computer I get no menu. In fact, when I go into "My Computer", the phone is no longer even recognized or listed as a connected device. It will still automatically sync photos when I open Zune. I don't think that connecting it to the computer is even charging my phone at this time, although there is an indication at the upper right corner of the phone screen that it is being charged."

I don't remember ever seeing the "charge/download/etc prompt" you talked about, however, if this is something that came up in the Zune software, it's a pretty easy fix. Assuming you're using Windows, of course (I say this because I don't know what the options are for the Mac software): Open the Zune software, in the top right, you'll see "Settings | Help." Click on the "Settings" text. On the left of this screen, you'll "Collection" with a triangle pointed at it. All the way at the bottom, you'll see "General." On the options that show up on the right, you'll see a bolded "Warning messages" headline with a button under the text to "reset warning messages."

"The first person told me that if I place my finger at the top of the screen and pulled down that the missing menu would open back up..."

This sounds like the tech misunderstood your question/problem, if you put your finger on the top of the screen of the *Trophy* and swipe down, it'll show the Verizon signal, wifi signal (if connected), bluetooth, etc. As far as I know, this functionality doesn't exist in the Zune software.

"I also tried this solution suggested in this forum for resolving the problem when the USB is not recognized. However, that will not work for me because when I power the phone back up and hold down the camera button, I get the message to plug in my phone, but since my phone is now no longer recognized by either my home or office computer, nothing happens."

Also, earlier in this post, you said that if you open Zune, it'll automatically sync. You don't have anything to worry about, the computer is recognizing it; Windows Phones, by default, do not show up in 'My Computer.' When the phone is connected to your computer, if you look to the notification center (the area to the left of the clock), you may see a USB drive icon with a check mark. If you right click this, you should see an "eject htc..." selection, assuming you haven't customized the name of your phone (for me, it shows up as "eject Rob's Trophy." If you see this, it's installed correctly, and there's nothing to worry about.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jstfinkaboutit
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Previously, when I connected my Trophy to my computer, I would get a drop-down menu that asked me if I simply wanted to charge the phone, download data, etc. I am afraid that the last time I was exiting it, I may have clicked on the "do not show this menu again" button. Anyway, now when I connect the phone to the computer I get no menu. In fact, when I go into "My Computer", the phone is no longer even recognized or listed as a connected device. It will still automatically sync photos when I open Zune. I don't think that connecting it to the computer is even charging my phone at this time, although there is an indication at the upper right corner of the phone screen that it is being charged."

I don't remember ever seeing the "charge/download/etc prompt" you talked about, however, if this is something that came up in the Zune software, it's a pretty easy fix. Assuming you're using Windows, of course (I say this because I don't know what the options are for the Mac software): Open the Zune software, in the top right, you'll see "Settings | Help." Click on the "Settings" text. On the left of this screen, you'll "Collection" with a triangle pointed at it. All the way at the bottom, you'll see "General." On the options that show up on the right, you'll see a bolded "Warning messages" headline with a button under the text to "reset warning messages."

"The first person told me that if I place my finger at the top of the screen and pulled down that the missing menu would open back up..."

This sounds like the tech misunderstood your question/problem, if you put your finger on the top of the screen of the *Trophy* and swipe down, it'll show the Verizon signal, wifi signal (if connected), bluetooth, etc. As far as I know, this functionality doesn't exist in the Zune software.

"I also tried this solution suggested in this forum for resolving the problem when the USB is not recognized. However, that will not work for me because when I power the phone back up and hold down the camera button, I get the message to plug in my phone, but since my phone is now no longer recognized by either my home or office computer, nothing happens."

Also, earlier in this post, you said that if you open Zune, it'll automatically sync. You don't have anything to worry about, the computer is recognizing it; Windows Phones, by default, do not show up in 'My Computer.' When the phone is connected to your computer, if you look to the notification center (the area to the left of the clock), you may see a USB drive icon with a check mark. If you right click this, you should see an "eject htc..." selection, assuming you haven't customized the name of your phone (for me, it shows up as "eject Rob's Trophy." If you see this, it's installed correctly, and there's nothing to worry about.

0 Likes
homerchuck
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much for your well thought out reply. Interestingly, I am glad I did not follow the suggestion of tech support to reset my phone. They also thought I should've had a USB display symbol display along the top edge of my phone screen which, as you point out, is not the case.

Unfortunately, I still do not have  menu which has been displayed previously, although I followed the steps you provided in the Zune software (which were entirely accurate). As you pointed out, my photos are being downloaded automatically to the computer via Zune. But, Zune is limited to photos, music and videos.

The display along the tray on the bottom of my computer does include the USB drive icon and when I hold (or click) my cursor over it I get not one, but two, displays pertaining to my phone, e.g., "safely remove Windows phone USB" and "safely remove wmp 6985" (referring to the phone's model number).

Appreciate greatly your help and insight.

0 Likes
jstfinkaboutit
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Unfortunately, I still do not have  menu which has been displayed previously, although I followed the steps you provided in the Zune software (which were entirely accurate). As you pointed out, my photos are being downloaded automatically to the computer via Zune. But, Zune is limited to photos, music and videos."

Ok, two things:

1) Are you trying to sync content other than photos, music, and videos to the Trophy?

2) I'm guessing this prompt was on the phone itself, right? If so, I don't see any 'reset warning' messages in the settings on the phone itself similar to the Zune software, so the only option you may have is to reset the phone to defaults, which I wouldn't recommend doing unless its a last resort [ie, I had an issue come up where I could use all of the built in features of the phone (play music/video, browse pictures, send/receive texts, make calls, browse people hub, post messages to networks), but were I to open any other app, it would go back to the front page tiles because the apps crashed]. So at this point, you've got one option left which will essentially do what you want, but still you won't get that prompt:

-- You can setup Zune so that it doesn't open when you plug in your Trophy, so it will only charge the phone, but not synchronize.

In the Settings->General in the previous post, there's an option to 'Start the Zune software when i connect a compatible device' that is most likely checked. If you uncheck it, whenever you plug in the Trophy to your computer, the Zune software won't open and the phone will still charge. When you want to sync, you just open the Zune software yourself. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
homerchuck
Enthusiast - Level 1

1) Haven't tried to sync anything but photos yet, but since you can only attach photos to emails, I was thinking about other means to move them around (especially since the Trophy is touted as a business phone with Word, Excel,etc.).

2) Yes, the prompt was on the phone.  I agree that a reset is a last resort that I am nowhere near utilizing. Thanks for the tip about how to stop Zune from auto syncing.

Appreciate your help. I really do like my phone, just wish Verizon gave it a little more respect.

0 Likes
jstfinkaboutit
Enthusiast - Level 3

1) Haven't tried to sync anything but photos yet, but since you can only attach photos to emails, I was thinking about other means to move them around (especially since the Trophy is touted as a business phone with Word, Excel,etc.).

This is one thing I don't understand with Windows Phone, but I've grown to accept the limitation. The best option for Word/Excel/Powerpoint/OneNote is to go into your SkyDrive account (which connected to the Windows Live ID thats entered on your phone) and upload any documents via your browser. At that point, you can go into the Office app on the phone, go to your Skydrive account and open up the documents you've uploaded in your browser on your phone. Once this is done, it works great--- make changes on the website, it'll update the documents on the phone next time you open it, or update it on the phone, it'll sync to the website. I just checked it, and you can create documents on the phone and upload to Skydrive, however, I don't think I'd ever want to type all of the content in to any document on a phone, I'd leave that more for a laptop personally. Hope this helps a little bit!

2) Yes, the prompt was on the phone.  I agree that a reset is a last resort that I am nowhere near utilizing. Thanks for the tip about how to stop Zune from auto syncing.

Appreciate your help.

You're welcome for the tip and the help! Smiley Happy

I really do like my phone, just wish Verizon gave it a little more respect.

Agree completely here. Verizon support would probably be all over this if it were on the Android/iPhone forums, but, for some reason, Verizon support is close to non-existant on this side. Fortunately I've had about a year worth of experience with the Trophy so I'm pretty well versed in most things related to it, I don't think alot of Verizon support could say the same (ie your experience with Verizon techs at support).

Also, they're pretty quiet on announcing anything Windows Phone related in the future, but with Microsoft announcing Windows Phone 8 sometime later this year, and Verizon only having one Windows Phones currently, they're probably holding off on introducing any new phones to take advantage of all new features (whenever those are officially announced).

0 Likes