Is Verizon Wireless trying ot Annihilate Windows?
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

To substantiate the idea that Verizon Wireless (VZW) is trying to Annihilate Windows:

1. At&t has shown the capability that Windows Phones (WP) can be updated by a Wireless carrier. Also, it appears At&t sees that Windows provides a lot more options and At&t is being the most innovative: “AT&T First to Deliver Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1 for Nokia Lumia 820 and Nokia Lumia 920 Devices”: http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7796014
    1. What a shame for VZW. At&t is delivering WP 8.1 to even older devices than the Lumia Icon (929). Also, their Lumia 930, which is an exact replica of the Lumia Icon (929) just available in more colors, already has WP 8.1.
  2. When speaking to VZW phone sales representatives they also tried to steer me away from the WP in extreme ways such as saying they would not even touch a WP.
    1. If they would have touched a WP they would have loved a WP.
  3. When speaking to VZW in-store sales representatives they tried to steer me away from the WP.
    1. Something about not having a big app market…well if you steer everyone away from the WP, developers will think there is not a market for it. So if you are a VZW representative stop steering people away from WP. Although, if VZW reps would have investigated further, apps the majority of users use are already available in the Windows store (everything a person needs is free and some of the apps that are made by the same company are better looking on the WP; professional review sites have stated this fact). Sooner or later you are going to see/hear on all media formats: “download our app at the Microsoft Windows Store, the Google Play Store, and the Apple App Store.
    2. The Lumia Icon is better than the iPhone 6 in every way (don’t tell me the iPhone 6 looks better either…you are going to put a case over your phone anyway) but the Lumia line of phones, especially the Lumia Icon, are no slouch in the design department. Even more, the regular iPhone 6 4.7” and Galaxy S5’s camera doesn’t have optical image stabilization, just digital image stabilization which is still blurry at best. Furthermore the Lumia Icon has a 20mp camera that takes absolutely beautiful photos, even up close macro photos. The iPhone6 only has 8mp and the Galaxy still falls short at 16mp. But this is a post in the WP forum so I am probably preaching to choir. Hopefully VZW is listing though. Maybe I should find all the corporate execs emails and snail mail addresses and send them this post for good measure.

I am not sure if either VZW is incompetent when it comes to working with the WP operating system, if VZW rather there be less operating systems available so that they do not have to do as much work in providing updates by only offering say Android or iOS updates, if VZW thinks they will make more money by preparing for the iPhone 6 and Galaxy Note 4/Edge and putting the (superior Smiley Happy) Windows 8.1 on the back burner, or if there is a legitimate reason for the Windows 8.1 hold up. None of these reasons really make any sense though because all legitimate reasons have been debunked. Microsoft is doing an excellent job producing relevant and useful updates to WP as well as making their ecosystem worth abandoning Android and iOS and jumping all in for Windows.

So if VZW really wants to make some money while pleasing their customers they should update all Windows Phones to WP 8.1 and put the Lumia Icon (929) right next to the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5/note 4 on the VZW home page so users can find for themselves that they love WP. <-- Marketing is key...or is Apple paying Verizon to list their products higher up in the home page like a manufacture pays stores to put their product at a buyers eye level.

This page is not helpful --> Advanced Devices - Software Updates | Verizon Wireless

This page is not helpful --> Availability in North America - Nokia

This page adds salt to the wounds --> http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/features

What do you think? Is Verizon Wireless trying to Annihilate Windows?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon Wireless trying ot Annihilate Windows?
Not applicable

What you are leaving out is

1- Android devices have the market share at around 75%

2- Apple iOS has around 15% of market share +/-

Microsoft windows phones have lost share not gained.

It may just be many folks don't see a Windows phone as a money maker for the cell companies.

If you think about it Androids are still being updated and one minor correction is iOS devices are updated from Apple and not Verizon.

If an update is coming you will get it eventually. No amount of complaining is going to get it out faster.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Re: Re: Is Verizon Wireless trying ot Annihilate Windows?
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Elector,

I did not leave out that other OSs have more market share; that was implied in my statement:

Something about not having a big app market…well if you steer everyone away from the WP, developers will think there is not a market for it. So if you are a VZW representative stop steering people away from WP

For your quote below, refer to my quote above:

Microsoft windows phones have lost share not gained.

VZW can make money off whatever they market, so the following quote seems baseless:

It may just be many folks don't see a Windows phone as a money maker for the cell companies.

Verizon is shooting themselves in the foot by not updating WPs because it would make WPs even more profitable to them. It doesn't matter who they are updated by, the wait time should not be this long.

If an update is coming you will get it eventually. No amount of complaining is going to get it out faster.

Your wrong. When many users are complaining to a company, more times than not, those complaints produce results. I think I checked the views on some previous threads about the 8.1 update and the views of those threads are in the thousands. Thousands of unhappy customers equals a mass exodus of customers (even if the exodus happens at the end of a person's contract). A mass exodus multiplied by the cost of contract plans equals millions of dollars lost.

After skimming over some other threads you posted in it appears you come to the WP forum to upset WP users, (I assume your a Apple or Android fanboy/fangirl?), so I thought I might get a reply from you. It appears you like to fuss with WP users and that you think that customers should be pleased living off bread crumbs while paying top dollar for service. It also doesn't look like you can be swayed so this reply may have been futile.

P.S. I don't believe luck.

Thanks,

vzw enduser

Tidbits
Legend

There's multiple threads on this.  I have explained some of the process more than once...

It should be a NO BRAINER GSM devices get updated first.  CDMA devices have a different process to begin with and requires Qualcomm approval, and signed keys.  Without it CDMA will not work.

Also Like with ANY large firm they don't have the whole team working on a single update.  Different people different speeds.  Possibly AT&T bought more Windows Phones devices and the reason why Nokia put their "best" developers on AT&T projects(The company I work for does this as well).

Also name one company that isn't going to push their best sellers?  In one day the products you mentioned outsold Nokia's whole lineup worldwide.  Name one company that wouldn't push that as it would be an easy sell.

Also multiple times manufacturers have said that carriers don't touch code only test the code on their network for network security and connectivity.  Manufacturers get the bloatware in advanced, AND they give a list of options that carriers can choose from.  If manufacturers had a hard time...  They could do what Apple does and give no options...  Seems to be working out for Apple right?

vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits,

Who are you working for? The customer or the Verizon? To name a company: a company that cares about the long term. Apple is riding off the success of yesteryears.

Thanks,

vzwenduser

Tidbits
Legend

I used to work for Qualcomm many moons ago and currently I work for a software firm that deals with the USM among other things I am not liberty to say.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yet Apple has a surmountable lead on Windows phones. Their market shares are both declining. At their current paces WP will be phased out sooner than Apple.

Personally I like Windows phone, don't have animosity towards iOS or Android, but I don't hold a fanboy sparkling coolaid mentality towards anything. I hold no loyalty to a single brand. They'll have to WORK to keep me.

I deal with the FCC often at my job. I get to cut in line whenever I do and at times it takes them a while to approve what we do. Phones are no different and goes through the same process we put out technology into.

0 Likes
kburgoyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

MS Store team answered part of the issue with Verizon.  The basic functionality of the Windows Phone OS supports features that Verizon doesn't want supported, and Apple's OS doesn't support.  (Don't know about Android.)

One example is some Windows Phones support FM radio, and Verizon doesn't want that feature on their phones.  So Windows Phone OS for Verizon models have be to "special" with some of the features stripped out / disabled.  This requires a separate release path prior to Verizon doing their unique testing.

While I generally think Verizon is great, they do have these types of issues pop up regularly.  They try to control stuff that ultimately they aren't going to be able to control in the long run.  So for example, they're hoping that "radio" listening flows through their services.  Therefore they don't want the phones to receive FM radio directly.  Of course there is too much in the way of competitive forces from other areas of the market for Verizon to be able to control such a feature indefinitely.  As a result, they just create an annoyance in the interim until they finally give up trying to control it.

vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

kburgoyne you make a good point but my Lumia Icon came stock with an FM radio that I have used. Although I do use Spotify more the FM radio is a nice feature when your not near a cell tower.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits,

I don't think Microsoft is headed down hill. First, Microsoft is not going down without a fight. Second, once people start seeing a few Windows Phone users with their nice phones that have features, and beautiful features might I add, that people actually use and like to use, there going to flock over to Microsoft. The pendulum will swing sooner or later.

I am not biased towards any operating system either. I used to use Android and I don't mind iOS but concerning iOS people do not like to be locked down without out being able to personalize their phone. Just look at how the Ford motor company took off, people were adding things to their Model T to make it unique. People also took the wheel off to use their Model T for work or more than just driving down the road.

I can tell when something really is worth jumping on board with and currently Windows definitely nails it.

Now VZW, where is the 8.1 update?