Re: Icon user here chiming in on lack of support from Verizon
Tidbits
Legend

If you look at AT&T and T-Mobile boards they all have complaints of Cyan causing problems. Could be potentially Verizon noticed these bugs and rejected them over the course of all this hoopla.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits,

I went over to the Att forums and did a quick peruse around. I found some issues surrounding overheating and getting stuck in airplane mode. I didn't find a ton of issues though. Does this meet the threshold of banana-ware...maybe, maybe not...depends on how many users are experiencing the issues at hand. I didn't notice any 930 users experiencing issues and the ICON is a replica of the 930s hardware. I really like the Preview for Developers that I am using, I have noticed some lag during wakeup, but if there was an option I wouldn't mind being a beta tester to the cyan update. None of us know what exactly is going on, but after Joe's comments on the subject, I am pretty confident the bugs are not so extensive that they will brick my phone. I am leaning to the side of Verizon being picky and overbearing on these updates. If there is an issue I think Verizon should have to publicly display when they received an update on their website, plus, when and why they rejected an update. Furthermore, I think Microsoft (since they own Nokia's devices division now) should have to post on their website when they sent the update and when they received comments back and what they are currently doing about it. This kind of transparency definitely is not what any company wants people to know, but it is the right thing to do, and companies need to do the right thing.

Tidbits
Legend

On T-Mobile forums reports are coming in about this and that breaking or not working.

Honestly speaking anything reception related would delay any update from ANY carrier if they found it during testing. They'll get blamed for poor service even it's no fault of their own. Like that Airplane bug if that popped during testing for example.

930 may be similar but the 930 doesn't have the CDMA active and uses a different RIL because of it. Which makes the devices act differently.

Not applicable

You seem to be a mite confused. Maybe in my wording.

In all these forum posts the owners were complaining about Verizon not releasing the cyan updates after Microsoft/Nokia released it in July 2014.

We have a problem here in although MS sent it aledgedly the customers assumed it was Verizon Wireless that was at fault. Then the complain to the FCC and FTC etc. Started being posted. However as we know carriers do not even have to update the devices. So now as of yesterday we get this Microsoft guy named Joe saying Verizon found issues with the update. He did not say when it was rejected and sent back to Microsoft to fix.

Since Verizon does not touch code, people then should realize its now a Microsoft issue. However even in that little twitter post he alluded to it being yet again on the carrier. Chiming in on how Verizon felt.

Now with all the complaints and whines towards Verizon ask yourself why Microsoft kept silent? Also ask yourself why Windows forum moderators said to contact Verizon about your update. Like I posted before Microsoft was deflecting. It is not unheard of that large corporations will finger point to another.

And Verizon stayed silent. But when they kept saying they did not have it people said they were lying.

Now you see Verizon was not lying but being cautious.

Then when Tidbits told people it could have been found to be flawed in testing and that no one actually knows who has it, he was labeled with names. Now this Joe says that Microsoft and Verizon are working on the update.

So again some folks post here reading it to mean Microsoft holds no guilt in this matter. Again its Verizon. However Verizon protects their network as they should, so if it was a good update Verizon would have agreed to its release.

Please note all the replies of now "owners better get Denim or they are leaving" "work faster to get out our updates" (again Verizon has no obligation to update anything)

If I were wanting to get angry with any company I would have been all over Joes tweet and Microsoft since any post saying it was rejected and we are working on it would have quelled all these forum complaints.

Have a great Friday

JaredRH
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am VERY unhappy with my Lumina Icon. I called within the 14 day return window to send it back but was told by Verizon tech support that an update would be out soon and I should wait. Now 2 months later still no update to make the phone do the most basic things. Now tech support says I have to pay $612 to buy out the two lines. Shame on you Verizon!!

0 Likes
imowlawns4cheap
Enthusiast - Level 1

And I was already considering switching to Verizon from at&t to get this awesome phone... It's sad that it doesn't get any support from Verizon, what a shame. I guess I'll just keep waiting for AT&T to get a phone like this one.

jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

Microsoft just announced the new Lumina 830 will be carried by AT&T at the price of $99 with a contract.  I would suggest purchasing the phone directly from Microsoft directly not from AT&T to get it unlocked...not that there will be much of a difference in getting updates but at least you don't pay extra buying it from AT&T.  It appears from my reading to be better than the Icon and at least AT&T gets the updates out without putting all their garbage on the phone or requiring Microsoft to rewrite the OS/Firmware to allow their App to run.  They also seem to have a LOT more choices for the Windows phone unlike Verizon.  I would also advise caution of listening to trolls which claim they don't work for Verizon but only take Verizon's side.  One even is a Microsoft hater, he posted it so he has no reason to deny it, that does not even HAVE a Windows phone.

Tidbits
Legend

Look bro... You need to take a step back and ACTUALLY read what I said. You are protecting Microsoft. You believe everything they tell you without asking more questions. Ask them how many times they submitted and didn't pass. Ask them how many people they have working on the Verizon phones over AT&T devices.  They will never answer you truthfully.  I was right multiple times in that I said if it was ever rejected it will go back to Nokia and Nokia will NEVER tell you how often it happened. They finally opened up for the first time. 

I am willing to put money on Nokia put more effort and resources into AT&T devices. They have the largest selection and they also bought more overall than any US carrier combined. No company would be not so smart to not take of their biggest client first and foremost especially when they are the ones that are keeping you afloat.

Also MS rewriting the OS is bullshit and I do mean the expletive. MS isn't that unsmart to rewrite code which would effect their potential developers. The only thing they may rewrite is the RIL which is independent from the OS and one of the most important things to keep reception.  Ultimately regardless if Verizon has to approve the update Nokia has to FINISH the update and finish the approval process. This as a programmer working for multiple companies starts and dies with us.  If Nokia is having trouble put more resources or higher better programmers.

0 Likes
Not applicable

jharris326 wrote:

I would also advise caution of listening to trolls which claim they don't work for Verizon but only take Verizon's side.  One even is a Microsoft hater, he posted it so he has no reason to deny it, that does not even HAVE a Windows phone.

You just don't get it do you? Same old song played over and over. I don't work for Verizon Wireless. PROVE I do!

And I did not say I hate Microsoft. Look closely now...." I said I don't like those constant patch Tuesdays because I own many computers running Microsoft OS" big difference huh?

And I don't need to own the windows phone to write about getting updates. I have owned Android & iOS devices and they get updates or don't get updates.

The basic thing here is on updates you and others are not entitled to them unless the carrier agrees to them. No FCC or FTC or any other state or federal law states Verizon has to give them. But you can not prove otherwise can you? Thought so. Keep throwing "troll" labels around. You make yourself look foolish.

And as I and Tidbits stated, you had no idea if Verizon sent it back to Microsoft/Nokia which turns out was the case with Joe Bellifore tweeting "quality issues" as the reason its back in their hands.

Please note at no time did Microsoft state "Verizon Apps" as the issue. That is total speculation on your part.

If you must post statements please "prove them" not just hit and run posts.

primortal
Master - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:

I am willing to put money on Nokia put more effort and resources into AT&T devices. They have the largest selection and they also bought more overall than any US carrier combined. No company would be not so smart to not take of their biggest client first and foremost especially when they are the ones that are keeping you afloat.

Also MS rewriting the OS is ******** and I do mean the expletive. MS isn't that unsmart to rewrite code which would effect their potential developers. The only thing they may rewrite is the RIL which is independent from the OS and one of the most important things to keep reception.  Ultimately regardless if Verizon has to approve the update Nokia has to FINISH the update and finish the approval process. This as a programmer working for multiple companies starts and dies with us.  If Nokia is having trouble put more resources or higher better programmers.

I highly doubt this...  Canada has Telus which uses CDMA2000 and they have already have released Windows Phone 8.1+Cyan and they are pretty close to VZW in regards to specs; CDMA2000 800MHZ (VW also has 1900MHz), 1xRTT, EV-DO Rev. A.  So if it's something truly with RIL wouldn't Telus balk at the update as well being the carriers are very similar?  All Microsoft has to do is tweek the configuration to work with VZW network.  This leads me to believe VZW is culprit in releasing/pushing back on the update and not Microsoft.

Plus as it's Microsoft now and not Nokia and I bet they have more resources than you can imagine working on this.  It's in Microsoft's best interest to get all devices up and running on Windows Phone 8.1.

You really cannot say it's the RIL without definitive proof like we cannot say it's VZW's applications that holding up the release with out definitive proof.  We're all running on speculation because neither VZW or Microsoft will speak on the actual issues other than quality issues.  At least Microsoft has the balls to say something where as VZW couldn't care less if they said something or not.

Again lets take a look at HTC, they were suppose to release the update at the end of October and nothing happened.  So what's the problem with HTC's build of Windows Phone 8.1 it can't be the RIL being the M8 is already running Windows Phone 8.1.  Samsung hasn't said boo either about the update for the ATIV....  All these little tidbits are leading back to VZW court as the culprit for the delays.