How do I remove Hotmail.com since I have outlook.com?
RonMcK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Back in the day, when I set up my HTC 8-X, I erroneously created an account on the phone for Hotmail. I thought I had corrected it to be an Outlook.com account, however, ever since everything (contacts, calendar events, etc) has been duplicated: a Hotmail entry and an Outlook entry. Having just upgraded to a Lumia 735, I find that the problem was replicated onto the new phone.

How do I remove the Hotmail "setup" and is there an easy way to flush the Hotmail entries out of contacts, the calendar and anywhere else that items are so distinguished?

Thanks,

Ron

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I remove Hotmail.com since I have outlook.com?
RonMcK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, All,

Working with VZN Support, we found the solution.

Looking in Settings under the email + accounts, there were 2 entries:

• Microsoft Account
    • Account Name:  Hotmail
  • Outlook Account (an Exchange thing)
    • Account Name:  Outlook

Solution:

1. Delete the Outlook Account since this Exchange piece is no longer required for Hotmail, Outlook, and Live.com.
  2. Change account name of Microsoft Account to Outlook
  3. Let WindowsMobile update.

Duplicate calendar events and address book entries are gone.

Thanks,

Ron

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you sign into both accounts on the new phone? Which one did you use as the primary account?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RonMcK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann,

Thanks for replying. I do not have nor have I ever had a Hotmail account. I do have an Outlook.com account. It appears that, in setting up my 8-X, I setup an Hotmail instance giving it my outlook.com email address and then realized I wanted an Outlook instance and setup up that instance also giving it my outlook.com email addy.

How do I disable and remove the Hotmail instance? Do I need to take my new Lumia 735 back to 'bare metal' followed by manually setting up everything? If the latter, where might I find directions for doing that?

Thanks,

Ron

0 Likes
RonMcK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am surmising that since each instance uses my outlook.com addy, when new items arrive at the phone, windows mobile dutifully creates one copy for each instance. Thus, my conundrum about how to stop the insanity.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Likes
RonMcK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, All,

Working with VZN Support, we found the solution.

Looking in Settings under the email + accounts, there were 2 entries:

• Microsoft Account
    • Account Name:  Hotmail
  • Outlook Account (an Exchange thing)
    • Account Name:  Outlook

Solution:

1. Delete the Outlook Account since this Exchange piece is no longer required for Hotmail, Outlook, and Live.com.
  2. Change account name of Microsoft Account to Outlook
  3. Let WindowsMobile update.

Duplicate calendar events and address book entries are gone.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wondered if you had two accounts loaded. Now you are back to one.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes