Help bring Windows Phone 7 Smartphones to Verizon Wireless!
frenzytom
Enthusiast - Level 2

The goal of this petition is for Verizon Wireless to carry and promote Windows Phone 7 as an alternative mobile OS alongside its lineup of Android, iOS and Blackberry products.

We need to convince Verizon Wireless that there is a strong demand to diversify its smartphone lineup by adding the upcoming Windows Phone 7 phones (HTC Titan I or II, Nokia Lumia 800 or 900, etc.) VZW should not limit its users to just its "Droid" brand nor the latest trend of Apple products. We, as users of all mobile gadgets, request that the Windows Phone 7 phones are given equal treatment in both support, promotion and competition.

Below are a list of users and enthusiasts who want the latest WP7 smartphone platform on the Verizon Wireless network. We do not want to leave our contracts to go to a competitor (which stipulates a large early termination fee). Some of us are long-time users of VZW and do not want to leave. Please show us some WP7 love!

http://petitionbureau.org/wp7onvzw

UPDATE (1/18/2012) This petition was forwarded to the leadership team at VZW including:

Marni Walden

Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer

Andrew Davies

Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

David Small

Vice President and Chief Technical Officer

Margaret Feldman

Vice President - Business Development

Tami Erwin

Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer

Shankar Arumugavelu

Chief Information Officer

Marquett Smith

Vice President - Corporate Communications

Nancy Clark

President - Northeast Area

Thank you for signing the petition!

Labels (1)
Re: Help bring Windows Phone 7 Smartphones to Verizon Wireless!
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Sprint users petition for WP7 after exec's comments

http://www.wpcentral.com/sprint-users-petition-wp7-after-execs-comments

(Looks like the customers at Sprint have the same idea!)

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Are you not thinking that the carriers back away from WM devices for a reason, the devices was not selling and the devices performance and UI cant compete with any of the other OS on the market...  Its supply and demand and since no one still prefer the WM operating system due to the bad memory leak issues and lack of performance....  There isn't many apps for WM that can closely touch the apps that run on Android or IO (iPhone)..

when I had WM device I experienced nothing but lockups and low memory issues and since I went Android I haven't seen this issue.. 

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Currently, there are 2 carriers backing away from WP7.  They are Verizon and Sprint.  Ironically the same 2 carriers who dropped the ball with the iPhone and/or their relationship with Apple a few years ago.  If these 2 organizations are going to struggle with such an easy decision on whether or not to play nice with Apple, why should any of us believe that VZW smartened up and plans to work with Microsoft on WP7?  We simply want VZW to know what their customers think.

At VZW, it used to be all about the Blackberry.  Not any more - RIM dropped the ball by putting all of there money and resources on their tablet.  That big hole in the dam will certainly create a gap that VZW needs to fill. 

If it's APPS you want, yea, you can go to Apple.  Of course you can buy direct from Apple, or AT&T, or Best Buy, or VZW, or Sprint, etc.  Not much corner on the market there.  And VZW sure got $crewed with the 4S device release.  So much for their entire inventory supporting 4G!  Wait until Apple dumps the iPad 3 on Verizon - and it ends up being just like the iPad 2.  It's going to be ugly.

As for the Droid - that buzz will soon die out like the Silly Bands (colored rubber bands shaped like animals that the kids used to wear around their wrist).  I was admiring the Honeycomb OS update just the other day.  Looks just like Windows 3.1 used to look back in 1993.  A screen full of icons.  What I see are customer buying this stuff because VZW promotes it, makes is affordable, and carries very little inventory of other devices.  "You can have the Droid, the Droid, or the Droid..."  I'm a long time VZW customer and I say no effen thanks.

I am in my 40's, a business user, and a technology user.  Some apps are fun and useful.  However, email integration, Office document support, Web connectivity, Outlook Contacts, Outlook Calendars, search, maps, IM, and other clean forms of business integration are important.  I have the WP7 Trophy from VZW now.  Best, most dependable phone I have had from Verizon yet.  No memory leaks, awesome performance, and the OS and APP functionality runs circles around the iPhone 4S.  My son and I go head to head on functionality - I smoke him and his little white Apple every time.  (That is, every day except for tomorrow.  We have to return his 4S to Apple because of the battery overheating!)

The day I got my WP7 Trophy, it took 16 minutes to set up.  I entered my email address, email server, Windows LIve ID and I was off.  The WP7 line is quite impressive and not the Windows Mobile device of old.  The AT&T reps are happy to show you the line of HTC, Nokia and Samsung devices they carry.  The OS is easy to learn and you can easily check out the functionality and performance right there in the store.  What many of us would like to see would be 2 or 3 more 4G Windows Phone devices carried by VZW, and maybe even some savvy Sales Professionals at the Verizon Stores who can show off the Windows Phone like their competition does.

Don't let the KIN or old Windows Mobile devices influence you.  They have gone the way of the Motorola Razor, Palm PDA, HP PDA, Ericsson, and BlackBerry with the side dial.  VZW doesn't seem to hold a grudge against any of those other vendors with obsolete products!?!  So why be a Microsoft hater???  We too want quality, dependability, ease of use, 4G and so on.  Seems like WP7 can offer that and possibly more in terms of Windows 8 tablets, a broader customer base, happy users, users who want to return after 20 months and upgrade, etc.

Wildman
Legend

I am a old Windows software developer for a number of years and now I dabble in development for Android, Microsoft devices are very limited on the development side because of the hardware limits.  Android has a memory leak as well but it has nothing on Microsoft, there devices have a bad issue with optimization and it leaves to many digital footprint that leads to a large amount of the devices downfalls, I am not talking bad about the OS but stating facts.

Developers prefer a OS that they don't have to jump through loops to get a functional application, the sdk is even restricted to some of the system OS because they want to keep control where Android SDK allows a developer to access any part of the OS code if you have the knowledge at modify codes to improve system performance... 

Anything you want to do on Windows can be done with Android but everyone has there preferences and each to their own..

0 Likes
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

Memory leaks? Sure, Window CE development was quite a fun challenge 5 years ago, but WP7 dev is a completely different beast. Do tell, *how* are you developing WP7 apps with memory leaks *worse than Android*? (Emphasis mine) There are reasons that SDK's only allow you into certain areas, and part of that is lessons learned on letting people run wild in the past. Someone writes crappy app, gives customer crappy experience on large manufacturer's device, large manufacturer looks bad. Mr. Jobs got that, hence the closed ecosystem which resulted in a wildly popular device that the public perceived as solid.

bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

as a current WP7 developer, I'd like to know what "memory leaks" you're speaking of. either A) you are still thinking WP7 = WM which couldn't be further from the truth or B) you know something that the entire MS community doesn't....

Wildman
Legend

I have dealt with software development for pc but I have researched the WM os and from what I have seen the same issues that plagued the pcs OS has been carried over to the mobile OS, one of Microsoft products common issues is the amount memory that is used to access a simple image file and then the  process required to get the system to free the memory after application and images has been closed and is no longer required.  Without breaking down all know issues that Microsoft has when touching the subject of memory leaks, simply read over a number of reported information on this subject..

The UI always require almost 40-50 percent of the system resources to function and leaves minimal resources for user interaction, all apps installed can be met with the common Low Memory Errors and the funny part that a task manager is a must have item of UI for windows to be able to restore resources without restarting..    Windows power manger also is very limited..  Its just my opinion and meant no disrespect.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7series/thread/6d3ee4fe-80ce-4813-a200-e10...

http://forums.silverlight.net/t/211757.aspx/1

http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/76007/466968.aspx

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

1st link: Read the last post. Bottom line: change your code, and it's not even a hacky change.

2nd link: Even the user reporting the issue can't dupe it, nor could Microsoft

3rd link: All comments point to the fact that it is 3rd-party toolkits causing the issues, not the OS. Likewise, a few of the "workarounds" are simply good coding technique (ie: null'ing the DataContext upon OnNavigatedFrom)

Wildman
Legend

I get all this but the point is that most average users do not know the method to resolve these bugs when a developer released a flawed apps and Microsoft developers has a number of these bugs present that causes a number of issues... 

Since Android is more open to the developers issues like this isn't as bad and this is why performance of Android is better and more stable.. Some issues with Android is because it is open for unlimited possibility with the proper knowledge, WM devices don't even have this possibility do to the limits of the OS and hardware,

I deal with coding for Windows Pc (COBOL and FORTRAN) and Syntax systems an only dabbled in WM and WM7 developer, but from what I see the design is similar and still flawed..  I could be wrong and misjudging the OS and WM has got better over the years because when I worked on apps for WM 6.5 back in the days I just thought that so much of the OS could be optimized better.

0 Likes