Re: HTC M8 for Windows poor battery life
WIndowsNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I may have found a fix to my problem but it is too soon to say with complete certainty.  Anyway, I noticed that I had Verizon Integrated Messaging running and after turning it off I have not yet had the overheating issue resurface.  It has been a couple of days now and I so far I have been able to message without ruining my battery life.  So I think the issue I was having was in fact related to messaging and the root cause was Verizon Integrated Messaging.  Also, I have recalled after receiving my replacement device Integrated Messaging was not enabled and my battery performance was fine.  Hopefully, my issue is now fixed and for those of you who are having the same issue it may be worth seeing if integrated messaging is off.  Good luck.

xonnia
Enthusiast - Level 3

ya know that makes sense.... it was probably around the time i enabled Verizon integrated messaging (VIM) that mine started over heating...   I was planning on redoing it on my new phone to, perhaps i'll wait.  I never used it anyways as it never seemed to sync with my desktop pc like it was supposed to.   I hope you report back and that everything stays good to go!  It would be nice if VIM was the issue, then maybe Version can look into the app and see what is going on.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

WIndowsNerd wrote:

Well I may have found a fix to my problem but it is too soon to say with complete certainty.  Anyway, I noticed that I had Verizon Integrated Messaging running and after turning it off I have not yet had the overheating issue resurface.  It has been a couple of days now and I so far I have been able to message without ruining my battery life.  So I think the issue I was having was in fact related to messaging and the root cause was Verizon Integrated Messaging.  Also, I have recalled after receiving my replacement device Integrated Messaging was not enabled and my battery performance was fine.  Hopefully, my issue is now fixed and for those of you who are having the same issue it may be worth seeing if integrated messaging is off.  Good luck.

If it's true that crappy Verizon Integrated Messaging is the issue...

It's amazing that this problem was missed in VZW extensive testing.  How can that be????

Goes to show you that VZW doesn't really test anything but uses it as an excuse to delay things *cough* Windows Phone 8.1 + Cyan *cough*

Call support and tell them so they can pretend to say they'll fix it

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It was never the apps. Verizon doesn't even write them itself. I still put money on that it's XLTE and not the apps. Whether it is call quality, reception, amd or security of the network. We still can't verify the source that said it was the app. So far I have gathered it's a low level tech stating their opinions.

Honestly I expect apps that run 24/7 in the background to eat battery. I do that with Skype and it eats a lot of battery.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

You know were on a different topic, it's not about the apps delaying the release of WP 8.1 right?

The poster was having massive battery issues and it turns out to be Verizon Integrated Messaging app that was the culprit.  It's not OS related because there other cross messaging apps like WhatsApps works without chewing through the battery.  Verizon's apps have been and always will be poorly developed.  It could also be HTC's firmware in managing the battery.  It boils down to VZW not properly testing the application.

I have 5 applications that are permitted to run in the background, Skype included and they do not chew through my battery at all.  The only app that is taking my battery is the Microsoft Health app and that because I have Bluetooth enabled 24/7 because of my Microsoft Band synching.  Right now I have to charge my phone every 2 days now instead of 3-4 days.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Also I addressed Messenger is a background app always running.  So it should eat more battery than most apps. Similarly like Skype if you make it sync real time and not just running in the background through it's settings. You'll notice you'll lose some more battery life than you are now.  That's what appears to me.  I easily lose 12 hours to Skype if I have it set up that way.  So I guess we can simply chalk it up to YRMV.

I was merely responding to this portion with that reply.  Sorry if you took it the wrong way, or I possibly took the comment the wrong way.

Goes to show you that VZW doesn't really test anything but uses it as an excuse to delay things *cough* Windows Phone 8.1 + Cyan *cough*

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

It's understood that the app is always running in the background and that's a given.  I have Facebook always running and I get notifications/updates constantly and it uses less than 1% of my battery.

Were do you see the setting for sync in real time?  I only see:

• Skype message notification On/Off
  • Messenger message notifications On/Off
  • Location Access On/Off
  • Always prompt before calling external link On/Off
  • High-contrast (dark) On/Off

My comment was do to VZW pushing back on the update because of supposed quality issues and turn around and couldn't quality control their own app.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

On windows devices it doesn't fully run things in the background. It does similarly what iOS does. Oh surprisingly what OSX does too which I just realized. That's a total different discussion and I think it's a GOOD thing for mobile platforms.

On Android devices the setting is there to force sync and eat battery life considerably. I tend to receive thousands of messages a day just from Skype alone. It's one of the reasons why I like WP for daily things just I can't use it daily because devs don't write their apps I love to use for WP. I have even offered to write them the app for free and was rejected.  Sadly out of 4,500 employees only 8 of us like Windows Phone.

0 Likes
WIndowsNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I am at a lost again.  My phone is beginning to display the same problems as before even with Verizon Integrated Messaging off.  Now it first began to show problems when I updated two apps.  I deleted one of them, kept the other, restarted the phone, sent a text message and the phone started acting up again.  I have since deleted the other app and am not certain what effect that will have.  This app was allowed to run in the background but I did not open it after restarting my phone.  I am completely fed up and I think it is time I switch carriers as you morons at Verizon cannot provide a simple software update.  I think someone else deserves a chance next and the best part is my M8 for Windows is no longer under contract.  FIX THIS!!  You are basically robbing your customers Verizon and I think we all certainly appreciate it.

0 Likes
xonnia
Enthusiast - Level 3

that sucks, do you recall the names of the two apps you installed???     I've been out of contract with Verizon for years now cause I have an older one with unlimited data / tethering which I love! (can get ping/ms times as fast as my crappy cable ISP with my phone). 

I'm more inclined to utilize my insurance and get a new phone each time just to annoy them than leave.  Can't change phones for a year or so when i can expense another one so at this rate it could be like 4-5 replacement phones in that time..... 

it would be nice to a VzW rep come back to this thread....

0 Likes