HTC M8 for Windows poor battery life
WIndowsNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Curious as to whether or not anyone else has intermittent poor battery life with their HTC M8 for Windows phone.  My phone on occasion, although it has happening more regularly, will become extremely hot and the battery will drain rapidly.  This is happening when the phone is on standby, with no apps open in the background and very few apps allowed to run in the background.  I can lose 20% of my battery in an hour to two hours.  I have already received a replacement device and turning the data radio off stops the problem.  Then if I leave it off for a while the problem goes away once I turn it back on.  I am assuming it could be the SIM card as my Nokia Lumia Icon had the exact same settings and it never shows these same problems.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC M8 for Windows poor battery life
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this issue WIndowsNerd! When did these battery and overheating issues start? You mention that it happens on occasions and more regularly lately, did it start after downloading a particular application? SIM cards are free at any corporate Verizon Wireless store, feel free to stop by one and get a replacement http://bit.ly/3SdsA

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
VCZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am experiencing the same issue and it seems the issue is directly related to SMS messaging.  After performing a restart, the phone is fine and runs cool even with Music, Video and a few apps running.  As soon as I receive an SMS message, the phone begins to overheat with a few minutes and battery starts to drain at a rapid pace.  In some cases batter can go from 80% to 20% in less than an hour if left unattended.  Restarting the phone stops the heat and battery drain until I once again receive an SMS message.

I just ordered a replacement phone today, but from the original post here, it seems this will do nothing and this is most likely software bug.  I have noticed several updates to the native Messaging app in recent weeks and wonder if one of those updates could be the culprit.  My issue started about a month after I purchased the phone in Sep 2014.

Note: read reports of location services, Cortana and Live tile apps being the culprit, but from all of my testing none of these items make a difference.  The only constant is SMS messaging.

I hope somebody else can confirm this and maybe Verizon/HTC can address with a software update.

WIndowsNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

A couple of months after I bought, so it has been going on for about two months.  My app collection has not changed since I bought so I cannot tell you exactly which app has been causing it.  However, it is entirely possible that an update to one of the apps has been causing it.  As I said my Nokia Lumia Icon has the exact the same collection of apps and same settings as my M8 and it has not had any of these problems.

A while back I was having difficulty reconnecting to the network after the connection would drop.  Sometimes resetting my data connection, turning the radio off and then back on would remedy the problem.  Other times I would have to restart my phone in order to get a connection once again to the Verizon network.  Now I contacted support about the problem and the person who helped me did something to reset the connection.  The battery life issues may have been due to this.  The reason I did not bring this up is because I just remembered actually.  I would not see why resetting the connection would cause this though.  However, it does seem the phone it is constantly pinging the network for updates.

Because as I said it drains on standby without any apps actively open.  Although I do have news apps that are allowed to run in the background.  However, so does my Icon and it does not have these problems.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

VCZ,

Sorry to see that you are experiencing that trouble as well. Sounds like you went as far as a warranty replacement of the phone itself. Is that correct? Are you having the same trouble with the replacement? Have you replaced the SIM card?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
WIndowsNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is draining extremely fast as we speak.  So much so that I just turned it off.  The replacement is just as unusable as the original phone.  The sad thing is the original phone did not do this.  No I have replaced the SIM card in it.  I bought this phone to replace another phone which became damaged but it looks like there is no use for the M8.  Turning the phone off and then back on does not fix the issue.  I mean within the course of 5 minutes the battery life dropped 6%.  This is ridiculous.  It also indicates the phone is on 3G so I am wondering if because it is unable to find LTE service that might be causing the problems.  I know Verizon is in the process of shutting down all or most of your 3G service.

0 Likes
lparsons21
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had this happen a couple times.

Since then I have turned on battery saver and turned off WIFI sense and it has not occurred since.

0 Likes
WIndowsNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I have already done those things to no avail.

0 Likes
xonnia
Enthusiast - Level 3

I JUST replaced my M8 for this same issue, like both phones are sitting beside me while the "new" one re-downlaods my apps and such.....  I was hoping it was a random bad battery cause i've only had the phone for a few months...   this doesn't give me much hope that the "new" phone will be any better, uhg.   It's so annoying to change phones that if this doesn't work i wont be happy.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Ditch VZW for the replacement and contact HTC directly for a replacement.

0 Likes