HTC 8X To Receive Windows 8.1 in Late October
primortal
Master - Level 1

HTC tweeted that Windows 8.1 will roll out in late October.

Source: http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-8x-verizon-due-get-windows-phone-81-october

At least HTC has the common sense to give a ETA for the update.  Nokia/Microsoft/VZW still mum on the Lumia's....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC 8X To Receive Windows 8.1 in Late October
danf1

That is nice, hope we can believe it!  I have an HTC 8X and would be nice to get it on 8.1. I got a Nokia 635 for only $99 to try 8.1 out, and the main things that are better is the status bar at top of the screen, and of course Cortana. Other that that, I don't see anything radically different enough to get too worked up about. Certainly not enough to risk messing up a phone with an update that could turn it into a brick. I've read about all the issues with the developer preview, and even some with the final 8.1 release on other models.

I do wonder about how well the slower dual-core processor on the HTC will handle the update. Supposedly, that is why ATT is not going to release an update for the 8X. And no word on the update at all from my carrier, T-Mobile. Maybe only Verizon will get it, as they are the only ones still even selling the HTC windows phones. It's a shame that some phones (some models like the icon only a few months old) are not getting updates, but I guess from the carrier's perspective, it takes a lot of resources to update discontinued models and make sure they are running smoothly. Especially on a model that's not all that popular. That's the downside of this rapid pace of technology. I think that with the close link between Nokia and Microsoft, the update would be easier than with other manufacturers like HTC. The HTC is still a great windows phone, especially the new One that's so $$$$. The 8X was more like a mid-level Nokia. It still looks and runs great, but now the entry level Nokias have pretty much caught up to it for about a third of it's original cost! By today's standards, the screen's a little small, no quad core processor, no expandable ram, and only has LTE on 2 carriers. Don't think HTC will replace the outgoing 8X, since Nokia has a lock on the market and are slashing prices too low to compete. The upscale HTC Windows One is probably more viable, appealing more to executives than the playful, toy-like Nokias, available only on the expensive but best coverage Verizon network!

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

HTC transparency powers GO! Oh wait... the update still isn't out? But... but... HTC... magic transparency powers that bypass Verizon...

Verizon must be taking quality so seriously that you can only get 8.1 if you run out and buy a new M8! "Verizon network testing has determined that a new 2 year agreement is the only way to completely eliminate software glitches."

All jesting aside, my biggest issue is the communication problems. It could come out in December/January for all I care... but it would be nice to hear something somewhat solid, or at least communicate what's going on with the testing process. Otherwise it seems like "Well it's late October, time to test that thing... oops we found a bug. Maybe we should have tested this and reported it sooner."

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

danf1 wrote:

I do wonder about how well the slower dual-core processor on the HTC will handle the update.

It should run just dandy on the twin 1.5Ghz Krait (200?) cores. It's the same processor powering many phones that have already received the update (such as the 820 on AT&T). The 822 which will (hopefully) receive the update in the not-so-distant future also uses these same cores. Heck, the lowly 520 on AT&T has a SLOWER dual core processor and it already has the update. Would it run better with the newer quad cores (even if each individual core may be slightly slower depending on the SoC in question)? Sure. But from what I've seen 8.1 doesn't run any worse than 8.0 on older models.

0 Likes