Re: Going to pay my ETF today.  Tired of the wait for update.
Tidbits
Legend

HTC is pushing 2 updates one for Android and One for windows Phone. Peopel say because of the M8 the update is being delayed for Nokia devices... If that was the case then why is HTC updating their devices and potentially siphoning sales for their own device?

HTC doesn't have clout like Apple and Samsung does with device sales. They are a company trying to be out of the red and no longer for sale. They lose most of the CEOs. They are for sale. So how can they update their devices so proficiently that other manufacturers can't. It's more than just "carriers" delays. HTC stopped using that excuse.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Because they already on track with sales for the M8.

Tidbits
Legend

If you left to AT&T what device would you buy? A Nokia...

So you bought 2 Nokia devices... Sabatoge doesn't seem right. Manufacturers know you'll blame the carriers.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Proof that it is? No sales figures have come out for the M8. Also it hasn't be released for other carriers or unlocked which the plan supposedly intended. Why update all their Windows Phone until they release the M8 everywhere if you are going to use that?

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Proof that is isn't? Why not be the first to update before Lumia, looks good on company image if you know Verizon is delaying for you...

vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

You can spin that the other way too, to show that one carrier is delaying.

Tidbits
Legend

So you don't sent if you went to AT&T you would buy another Nokia. How does that look like sabatoge?

Do you really think people are going to be stupid and purchase a phone for an update in a grand scale to the point it's worth delaying an update? Maybe 10% at best in any major case but that 10% isn't worth it. However if people blame the carrier and switch carriers they are more likely to buy the same brand believing it will be better at that carrier. See AT&T and Nokia and this forum of how many people say they are switching to AT&T. That's at least 2 Nokia device sold if they do switch. It's brilliant!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It don't matter if you have an iPhone or Windows Phone or Android phone you pay the same regardless of what OS you are on. Carriers do not make more money keeping you in a lower OS or giving you a newer one. However manufacturers do not have residual income. Once a device is sold that's all they make. It costs them money to update devices. They have to hire developers and spend resources to make them. So if they want to continue to make money they have to sell devices. A simple ploy by delaying an update without owning up to it and having people switch to buy a new device helps them sell more devices.

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

"I said: You can spin that the other way too, to show that one carrier is delaying."

Either way, if a carrier knew they were being with held an update so that manufacture could make more money, the carrier would not be too happy about lost income. I would think something would go down between carrier and manufacture. Maybe even law suits for the loss in profits.

Tidbits
Legend

If the update isn't to finished and hasn't been through the process Verizon can't do a thing and even a lawsuit wouldn't work. It has been proven in courts as long as the update is in the works no lawsuit have any grounds. We have had 6 years of this for Android devices. Every time we sued the carrier it was thrown out because they didn't develop the device. When it was pointed at the manufacturer all they had to show it was worked on and it was thrown out after that.

0 Likes