Re: Going to pay my ETF today. Tired of the wait for update.
zweible
Enthusiast - Level 2

In this case there are 3 losers. The windows operating system on phones lost a fan, Nokia lost potential steady stream of device upgrades, and Verizon lost a customer. (New Galaxy 5 with a different provider).

Zweible

vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

zweible, I think the Windows Cyan Firmware coupled with 8.1 update makes the Lumia ICON a superior phone than the G5 that is why I bought the Lumia ICON recently when I had the chance to get the G5 instead (the biggest thing for me was the optical image stabilization and 20mp camera on the Lumia Icon plus various things that made the Windows OS more cozy and sleek), but way to go with voting with your money, it is unfortunate to us who have big hopes for Windows that I say this but hopefully more people do what you have done for principle alone. No company should be to big to fail. Which carrier did you go to?

zweible
Enthusiast - Level 2

Really don’t want to start a carrier discussion on Verizons forum. But choice of carrier in my case isn’t critical. I live in a major metro area where all the carriers have great coverage. I still have the Icon, which I will use for the camera (It is fantastic!).

Z

Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:

By Nokia being vague as possible just like other manufacturers it allows them to hide things. HTC and Motorola no longer hide behind carriers and pushing updates faster than any other manufacturer. Doesn't that say something?

Yeah it says AT&T has had the update rolled out for a while and Verizon is dragging their feet. It doesn't require an epiphany to realize this. Now WHY they're delaying is more difficult to determine. Perhaps they're negotiating with MS for better pricing? Maybe they figure they'll just wait another few months and sell more phone upgrades with another 2 year contract? Drive users to carrierware devices (which most average users do not root)?

If the fault lay with Nokia/MS, Verizon could easily and diplomatically state that the update needed a minor fix before they can deploy it. Instead their silence is damning. I do think it would be nice if MS just came out and said "Verizon is sitting on the update." but frankly that would be bad for MS because all it would do is piss off Verizon, who might decide to cease carrying any Lumia devices. So MS has to remain tight lipped.

HTC is in a better position because they also make some nice decent-selling Android models, and act as a counterbalance to Samsung. So upsetting HTC pointlessly would be unwise for VZW. Your attempt to use HTC as an example to shift the blame over to MS is hilarious. If the M8 sees 8.1 and the Lumia devices do not, that would just prove my point.

0 Likes
Re: Going to pay my ETF today.  Tired of the wait for update.
Tidbits
Legend

They couldn't. You fail to realize. Just look at history. Motorola with the Cliq as a prime example. T-Mobile got sued for nothing because The problem was never them in the first place. Motorola said it was a Sharp driver issue and had to wait for Sharp. There's other multiple examples where carriers got blamed for something the manufacturer had control of.

No HTC isn't in a better position... You should follow the history of HTC in the past 4 years with their sales number. Their numbers for better with what they are doing now. They proved it with the M7, and continue on with the M8. What did they do differently. They owned up to their updates being on them and actually updating their products without hiding behind the canned response of the carriers.

0 Likes
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

That's not why they're doing better. None of that means jack. They're doing better because they started building better phones recently. MUCH better phones, actually, that really give serious competition to Samsung. Verizon needs multiple Android manufacturers to prevent Samsung from calling all the shots, dictating bad pricing, and eventually stagnating. Having the LG G3 and the M8 has created more diversity and spurred competition in high-end Android devices which helps Verizon. Pissing off HTC would be foolish. But they can piss off MS all they want, because MS needs Verizon no matter what Verizon does to them.

Oh, and since MS makes the updates for the HTC WP devices, how exactly are they owning up to the updates being "on them"? I suspect the Lumia devices will get updated around the same time, but if they don't it just goes to show that VZW is sitting on things. After all, when a third party WP device gets updated (through the carrier) but a first party device cannot, it rapidly becomes obvious who the blame lies with. HTC had to wait for MS, who is MS waiting for?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Please man you are in denial. I have followed HTC for a long time. Any person in HTC elevate will tell you what I said. Most of the people that used to be HTC fanboys will tell you the same. They got tired of waiting for updates and that HTC abandoned devices for updates. Since the M7 they made a promise and kept it and their sales numbers reflect this. They are not on the green and can be sold off.

People are now talking about how HTC supports their devices and well they phones are that other people are starting to buy.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Updates are more than what Microsoft writes... What do you think Cyan is? Microsoft didn't write that... There's more involved than just Windows...

Tidbits
Legend

I also wanted to add... LG is a better company to balance Samsung. Their sales numbers have been better than HTC and Motorola combined.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I still like my Moto's Tidbits..

0 Likes