Going to pay my ETF today. Tired of the wait for update.
zweible
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally had enough.  The Icon was my 1st (and last) windows phone.  Was really excited to get a flagship phone and enjoy all the benefits.  Now, with the phone being retired and no outlook in sight for the upgrades to get this phone updated, it will be relegated to the junk drawer of has-been phones.  In the process, I will be getting rid of the carrier who no longer wishes to support their customers with even a bit of information as to what is happening.  Someone said to show your dissatisfaction with your wallet.  I will do just that!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Going to pay my ETF today. Tired of the wait for update.
bsites1968
Contributor - Level 2

Might I recommend waiting a mere 14 days?  The Icon was specifically mentioned to have Cyan (I can't find the quote, but thought it mentioned end of October)...and Denim was mentioned by end of Q4.

0 Likes
Re: Going to pay my ETF today.  Tired of the wait for update.
bsites1968
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon HTC 8X to get Windows Phone 8.1 in late October | Windows Central

This doesn't mention the Icon so maybe I read into that since the HTC seems to lag behind the Lumia.  We shall see.

0 Likes
jeffindayton
Enthusiast - Level 3

don't blame you a bit! 3 months is WAY too long to wait. I will be doing the same with my 4 lines in Nov.

0 Likes
Not applicable

So your phone has been total junk since you got it? What if there was never a 8.1 update? Would have been ok with your phone? You sure would. Windows people are getting worse than Android people that complain they need the latest update or their phone is junk.

Mamma4ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I'm not willing to give up my phone OR service just for the lack of update, even thought I want Cortana so bad I can't see straight lol. Where I live, the Verizon service is iffy in places, and every other carrier is even worse, so regardless of how much they treat us like crap, I'm kind of stuck with them 😕 But I love my Icon! Yes, I will love it ten times more with Cyan, and twenty times more with Denim, but, like you said, if there was no update, I'd be just as happy with it as I am now Smiley Happy

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Well since we have known of all those goodies (notification menu, Cortana, 4k photos, and etc.), that the update 8.1 provides, since back in April, it is kind of hard to think there is any legit reason for the update to still be under testing for so many months. Otherwise it is like an act of congress to get an update from the Manufacture through Verizon to the User. People should not get ugly or be rude with the Manufacture or Verizon, but I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to expect the update in a timely fashion if they were promised to get it. I think it is common sense that companies should not renege on promises. Microsoft promised in a conference about a month back that we Lumia Icon users will receive the Denim update during Q4 of 2014, if I don't have the update by 11:59pm December 31, 2014, I think it will be perfectly acceptable to feel upset since Microsoft would have then reneged on their promise.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

HTC and Motorola shows it doesn't take an act of congress. So explain how these two companies can do something other manufacturers can't do?

HTC just released a Major firmware release AND a incremental big fix the day AFTER T-Mobile version was released.

HTC, and Motorola owned up went transparent and update their devices better. They stopped blaming carriers for delayed updates. Their last 2 years have shown carriers are in less control than people realize especially when looking at those two.

Re: Re: Going to pay my ETF today.  Tired of the wait for update.
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits,

I do not know why, the real time play by play details of what is happening currently while under testing are not made available to us, but that is just it, since we do not have this information, why is Verizon so silent to questions asking for this information? Recently I contacted Nokia/Microsoft Mobile Support, they emailed back and said:

Network Variant devices that are network variant, mostly purchased under contract with an operator, will need approval from the operator to enable the device for an update since network operator sometimes put their own software in the device and might have conflict if the device will have an update. If this is the case, we suggest that you contact your network operator for further assistance.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Going to pay my ETF today.  Tired of the wait for update.
Tidbits
Legend

HTC and Motorola gives the Play by plays. Why can't Nokia? Just saying...

0 Likes