Entire text messages are not going through
sight-unseen

So I've had the Verizon HTC Win8X phone since this past January '13. 

Just recently within the past month, I have been notified by a few recipients of some of the outgoing text messages that I've sent

that there are times that they are only receiving fragments or the last sentence or few words of the entire text message from me.

After troubleshooting, I noticed that this issue commonly occurs when I compose and send a long text (even though the phone defaults and breaks those long messages up into smaller separate messages).  None the less, it's still happening every now and then.

If this issue were data related (ie: problem only happening when sending these texts while being in 3G with one lowly bar vs. problem not happening when being in a full blown LTE network with all bars) it would be more understandable, however,

I sent a text this past Sunday from a full blown LTE network and again, I was informed by the recipient that only the last few words were received.

What is going on?

I'm confused and getting frustrated as to what is causing this stuff to happen.

Is this a networking issue or SIM issue?

Anyone else having this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Entire text messages are not going through
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and happy Friday sight-unseen. Text messaging is one of the most popular ways to communicate while on the go. I know how important it is for you to get your entire message delivered. Rest assured that we are committed to getting this issue addressed for you. Let's start with what zip code are you in? Also, what software version do you have on the HTC 8X? Can I assume that you are using the default messaging app and not a 3rd party app? As you share this information with me and the community, it will help in finding a permanent solution for you. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
sight-unseen

Support -

My zipcode is 68114 in Omaha, NE. 

I don't see a specific software version in the 'about' section, so hopefully the below info from that screen will help:

OS Ver:  8.0.10211.204.

Firmware revision #:  1532.20.20102.605.

IMEI:  >> personal information removed <<

Correct, I am using the default messaging application.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you for helping.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't driven by that area of Omaha for quite some time. While the buildings in the neighborhood east of Westroads are older, they not as old as the Dundee neighborhood and Midtown. Mature trees and building materials can affect the signal. Do you notice when you have issues when sending messages if you were indoors or outside?

In looking at www.sensorly.com the signal strength in 68114 is good to excellent for EDVO (3G) and fair to excellent for 4G. Text messages however go through the voice

1xRTT) network.

Have you tried resetting/reseating the SIM card? Turn off the phone, remove the SIM card for a few minutes, reassemble and boot up the phone. This will force the phone to establish its connection with the Verizon Wireless network.

You might also want to call customer service from another phone at 1-800-922-0204 and have the tech support reset your text message feature from their end if the SIM card reseat didn't work.

Lastly you can go to a corporate Verizon Wireless (there's one at 72nd & Dodge) and request a new SIM card or you can request (via phone) one through customer service.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sight-unseen

Ann154 -

Sounds like a good troubleshooting plan.  I'll test it (SIM reset) out to see if it corrects the issue.

And yes, most of these text fails are being sent indoors from my neighborhood directly 1-2 blocks east of Westroads, which could explain it.  Also, I sent one from Houston, TX last weekend in an area near Rice University, which is also heavily shaded with tall trees and buildings and that text failed as well. 

Thank you for the helpful suggestions.

I'll keep everyone updated.

0 Likes