Re: Did Verizon cancel a Nokia 'Om' Windows Phone?
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'm not in denial. i could care less about WP devices. the above was simply my opinion. Obviously, verizon has never cared what the rest of the world is doing, or they would carry many more options for global devices.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:

i'm not in denial. i could care less about WP devices. the above was simply my opinion. Obviously, verizon has never cared what the rest of the world is doing, or they would carry many more options for global devices.

They do care.  They are planning to be a global carrier.  They already dropped large pipelines in 2004, and in 2007 to Asia, and Europe with the construction of their LTE network. Hence the reason why their want ALL their LTE devices to be IPv6 supported for their LTE network.  At some point we'll probably see Vodaphone and Verizon merge. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

true....but unless i'm mistaken, they didn't offer many global devices for the past several years? what i meant was that they basically, mostly sold us devices that were great.....inside of the U.S.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You are correctl. They do not offer global roaming plans anymore from what I remember.

In essence if they roll out their global network you are using the same network and no longer roaming there would be no need for agreements with foreign carriers. You would be on Verizon whether you are in the US, UK, or Japan. They may have simply dropped those plans in prep for when they go global.

For reference why IPv6 is more than likely a requirement for Verizon. Also not everyone upgrades their phones every 2 years.

IPv4 phones can't connect to an IPv6 network. When Verizon completes their global move IPv6 has to be used. There is simply not enough IPs given for IPv4. It is cost efficient to make IPv6 a requirement from the start than it is to roll out IPv4 then roll out IPv6 later on.

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

"i could care less about WP devices"

GOOD BYE!  No need to post in this area then 🙂

primortal
Master - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:

For reference why IPv6 is more than likely a requirement for Verizon. Also not everyone upgrades their phones every 2 years.

IPv4 phones can't connect to an IPv6 network. When Verizon completes their global move IPv6 has to be used. There is simply not enough IPs given for IPv4. It is cost efficient to make IPv6 a requirement from the start than it is to roll out IPv4 then roll out IPv6 later on.

Here we go with the whole IPv6 thing Smiley Happy

I found this article, http://policyblog.verizon.com/BlogPost/780/VerizonandIPv6.aspx and found finally what you been hyping.

The new Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network has IPv6 built-in with the requirement that all LTE devices must be IPv6 capable. Our company websites are becoming IPv6-enabled, and we continue to test IPv6 with our FiOS service to make this transition as seamless as possible for all of our customers.

BUT, it states that all LTE devices must be IPv6 capable; meaning at some point when they throw the switch that the option is available.  They are still rolling out the infrastructure and testing.  IPv6 brings a whole lot more headaches than IPv4 has and will take a while to test and implement.  So WP devices (Mango/Tango) are IPv6 capable, but that's moot being IPv6 has not been turned on in all area's.  Plus VZW will need to have enough NAT'd IP address for accessing the internet because not all devices out there support IPv6 yet.  Plus at&t's LTE has the same stance with devices capable of IPv6 and Nokia Lumia 900 is an LTE device.  So in reality it's really VZW holding up the roll out of more WP devices and not Microsoft holding up the devices for VZW.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Is the Lumina 900 out?  When is it coming out?

There's a difference... You are thinking 1 network...  Verizon is 3 networks.  CDMA, EVDO, LTE.  AT&T is GSM, HSPA+(used to be UMTS), LTE.  Now here's the deal..  3G devices connect to EVDO, and HSPA+ respectively They DO NOT need all devices to be IPv6 compatible for those networks as they are still running IPv4. Verizon is running a straight IPv6 LTE network with a 6to4 type software to give IPv4 addresses. So you last statement is moot for the most part.

Now let's continue with "flipping" the switch.  It's ALREADY flipped.  EVERY Verizon LTE device has a IPv6 address, and they are running 6to4 to give LTE devices an IPv4 address to currently connect outside Verizon's network.  If the device is NOT IPv6 compatible it would NEVER connect to Verizon's LTE network.  You couldn't even activate it.  Just because their website isn't IPv6 doesn't mean their LTE network isn't IPv6...  Turn off 6to4 on your windows computer and run a IPv6 network, and you see what I am talking about.  For all we know AT&T may be building it the way you think Verizon is, but I know for a fact Verizon is straight IPv6 with 6to4 running.  I don't have an LTE AT&T device so I can't test those out myself(waiting for one that I like, and the the HTC One X, iPad 3, and current LTE phones don't interest me to use my upgrade there).

The Lumina 900 is coming out when?  When is Windows Phone 8 coming out?  What version of Windows Mango do you have?  Did you know Mango you have on your Trophy is different than the one on the 900? 

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

Lumia 900 is said to ship 3/18 along with Titan II, both LTE on at&t.

Verizon is pathetic, the fact customers blame ip6 or some other lame excuse is just sad.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

The 900 isn't out yet but will be soon just not on VZW and you dam well know that so why ask the question Smiley Sad

Wow 3 networks I would have never had guess it, amazing. /sarcasm

Yes so the augment of running out of IPv4 address is useless if they are still converting IPv6 to IPv4 to the devices.  So with the 6to4 software no device really needs to support IPv6 being the software dishing out IPv4 address correct?

Why isn't VZW NAT'ing the IPv6 to IPv4 so devices can access the internet and just give all the devices IPv6 address from the start, no need for the 6to4 software more overhead IMHO.

Windows Phone 8 most likely will be released sometime in Q4.  I don't have a Windows Phone device yet cause of VZW stupidity.  The 900 most likely will have Tango when it's released.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

primortal wrote:

The 900 isn't out yet but will be soon just not on VZW and you dam well know that so why ask the question Smiley Sad

Wow 3 networks I would have never had guess it, amazing. /sarcasm

Yes so the augment of running out of IPv4 address is useless if they are still converting IPv6 to IPv4 to the devices.  So with the 6to4 software no device really needs to support IPv6 being the software dishing out IPv4 address correct?

Actually no it isn't...  So if you went straight IPv6 you won't be able to connect to the internet.  The network itself is IPv6 with 6to4 to allow you to connect to the old web.

Why isn't VZW NAT'ing the IPv6 to IPv4 so devices can access the internet and just give all the devices IPv6 address from the start, no need for the 6to4 software more overhead IMHO.

LOL Dude...  Not all devices support IPv6 so how could they?  Oh wait...  They do except Windows Phone 7.5.  That's basically what 6to4 software does NAT addressing.  Windows 7 has 6to4 and I forget the other one support.  So does OSX, and to no surprise do thousands of Linux variants out there.  There's very less overhead than NAT addressing, and licensing for it is on the pennies to the dollar.

Windows Phone 8 most likely will be released sometime in Q4.  I don't have a Windows Phone device yet cause of VZW stupidity.  The 900 most likely will have Tango when it's released.

It will have whatever, and like I said.  AT&T could have done theirs different than Verizon.  If it honestly bothers you that much that Verizon requires more than AT&T then move to AT&T when that 900 comes out. 

0 Likes