Cyan update for Lumia
vsionquest

People.  I do not work for Verizon, but here is my take on the hold back of Cyan update for lumia.   Verizon is clearly using the cyan update as a shill to force customers to upgrade away from their old devices, and sign new contracts.    Buy a new Lumia phone that supports the software futures out of the box that you want.  Pure, simple, transparent.

Here in New Mexico, we fight a lack of service which makes other carriers impossible to switch to.  Some would call that a monopoly, but no one is forcing us to use cell service.

Upset 822 user.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cyan update for Lumia
Not applicable

Just two points.

I understand there is now a Denim update so that is something to ponder.

You can buy at full price or on Edge and you have no contract.

Good Luck

0 Likes
jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

Pay attention to what he said.  "Here in New Mexico, we fight a lack of service which makes other carriers impossible to switch to.  Some would call that a monopoly, but no one is forcing us to use cell service."  That tells me he can't reasonably switch vendors.  It would not matter what he purchased if the major/monopoly holder for practical purposes will not let the upgrade thru their network. 

Not applicable

Please read my reply to the original poster again.

At no time did I say to switch providers.

However if the phone is not entitled to updates from Verizon or any other carrier that would be moot now wouldn't it?

0 Likes
hedrek

I do say switch provider. Verizon cares about one thing - money. They just emailed my, one year into a 2 year contract, telling me I can update my device. I have a 928. If the cyan update does not come out relatively soon, then I will switch providers when I get a chance. I also live in New Mexico, near Albuquerque, and I do have some options. Besides switching you might be able to sue either/both MS and Verizon for no update.  Companies can include all kinds of warranty/service waiver information in their service agreements but that might not hold water. They all have the same language, a cell phone is pretty much a necessity these days. You actually have no choice, you must "accept" that language. Do you really thinks some magistrate judge in Carlsbad or Hobbs is going to side with Verizon against a local guy who pays his bills on time.  Twenty Verizon lawyers can whine all they want, but the judge makes the order. I had a friend who used to sue all kinds of companies in small claims court in New Mexico. They'd screw it up every time, thinking it was some dinky thing they could blow off. And he'd win as a result.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I agree that small claims court is an answer.

I have used it many times over the years after trying common sense failed.

You stand a much better chance if you have documents to prove your side of the issue.

However contracts are written as valid.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

hedrek wrote:

I do say switch provider. Verizon cares about one thing - money. They just emailed my, one year into a 2 year contract, telling me I can update my device. I have a 928. If the cyan update does not come out relatively soon, then I will switch providers when I get a chance. I also live in New Mexico, near Albuquerque, and I do have some options. Besides switching you might be able to sue either/both MS and Verizon for no update.  Companies can include all kinds of warranty/service waiver information in their service agreements but that might not hold water. They all have the same language, a cell phone is pretty much a necessity these days. You actually have no choice, you must "accept" that language. Do you really thinks some magistrate judge in Carlsbad or Hobbs is going to side with Verizon against a local guy who pays his bills on time.  Twenty Verizon lawyers can whine all they want, but the judge makes the order. I had a friend who used to sue all kinds of companies in small claims court in New Mexico. They'd screw it up every time, thinking it was some dinky thing they could blow off. And he'd win as a result.

Good luck.  Since 2006 no lawsuit against any carrier has won due to not getting updates.  The reason being IS carriers are not in control as people think it to be.

0 Likes
pa2k4p
Contributor - Level 1

Yup. If you like WP, switch. VZW couldn't care less. They're the worst carrier for WP.

bkgreenva
Enthusiast - Level 2

If they wait that long i will switch to AT&T they have already released the Cyan update to there phones, its no biggy plus we got approved for 4 more lines than Verizon would give us and if i dont want to wait will buy out whats left of our contract. so its really a sweet deal.

everyone should give AT&T a call and simply switch.

deoguest
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you feel a little bold, anyone can take their Windows Phone updates out of the hands of the carrier, be it VZW, AT&T, Sprint, or anyone else.

Disclaimer - if you have to have your 13 year old nephew Jason set up your email, this is not something you want to undertake.

DOUBLE DISCLAIMER:  If you install the preview, you may void warranties.

That having been said, I've been running Preview for almost a year with no problems.  Life is good on 8.1!  My husband replaced his 822 which had Developer Preview, and opted not to install it while his phone was under warranty; he misses Cortana very much!

Register for developer preview with Microsoft. Windows Phone Preview for Developers – Windows app development

Download the app and run it.

You will get all the most recent developments pushed wirelessly from MSFT, not the carrier.

0 Likes