Cellular data keeps turning back on
WPCyanNOW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whenever I turn off the cellular data connection on my Lumia 928 it always seem to turn itself back on. I checked in Settings \ cellular + SIM and verified that the setting to use cellular data for limited WiFi connectivity is turned off. Just for good measure I also set it to not roam. I don't see any other settings that might cause it to turn back on. And it gets weirder. Often when I swipe down to see the notifications screen, I will see the icon for cellular data turned on but then it quickly turns off.

Has anyone else on Windows Phone noticed this? FYI, I'm currently on Denim.

Pardon my tinfoil hat, but could this be some weird "feature" that Verizon threw in so they can monitor user activity? Remember the announcement of "super cookies"? I'm starting to wonder if Verizon demanded this feature from Microsoft and that's why it took Verizon so much longer than anyone else to release v8.1 / Denim.

Hopefully someone else has noticed this and can let me know here.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cellular data keeps turning back on
Genserik
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello!  I've got a 928 as well.  I'll test out the cellular data thing real quick.

In regards to the super cookies I found something online when I did a search for it.

1. Visit Vzw.com/myprivacy and log into your account. Then scroll down to "Relevant Mobile Advertising." Click the button below "No, I don't want to participate in Relevant Mobile Advertising" for each line on your account. Be sure you click the red "Save Changes" button below that.

Here is the link to the article if you want to read up on it.  I just skimmed over it.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/how-opt-out-verizons-super-cookie-tracking

How do you get the cellular data icon to show up when you swipe down?  I only see Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane Mode and rotation lock?

And cookies don't care about how you necessarily connect to the internet, they just data mine the sites you are going to, to determine your preferences.

0 Likes
Re: Cellular data keeps turning back on
Genserik
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, I went to settings --->  Cellular+ SIM and disabled Data connection, and backed all the way out and went back in.  It was still off.

I think what you are looking at is the wifi connectivity, and you are running into an annoying problem I had when I first got my phone.  Your Wifi might keep coming back on.  This is called Wifi data sense.  If you go to Settings > WiFi, there are a couple of options here.

I had to set 'turn Wi-Fi back on' to manually, and in WiFi Sense, I turned all of those features off.

0 Likes