Can I switch back to 8.1?
Weber986
Enthusiast - Level 2

I update my Lumia 735 to windows 10 and don't like it. It crashes all the time and runs a lot slower than it did with 8.1. Is there anyway to switch back? I did a factory reset and still have 10 on my phone with none of the issues resolved.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I switch back to 8.1?
Weber986
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally had time to use the device recovery tool. You need a PC and it takes about 2 hours, but it works. My phone has 8.1 again and is back to being awesome. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Weber986, software updates are very important and I apologize that you are having issues with your device after the update. Let's work together on getting this issue resolved, is the device crashing when you are using a specific application? Are all the applications up to date on the device?

GersonG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Weber986  When you did a factory reset did you restore from backup?  If so do another factory reset and don't restore from backup and don't install any apps.  See how the phone performs and if everything is running well slowly start adding apps back.

If any of the above doesn't resolve the issue then, download the Windows Device Recovery Tool, http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=522381 and you can revert back to 8.1 from there.

0 Likes
Weber986
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are no options for factory reset. Its either do it or don't. It also removes all of the downloaded apps. So this is a problem with Windows 10, not the downloaded apps. The apps I have a problem with are the built in ones. With windows 8, I really didn't need to download anything. The phone already did everything I wanted it to do and it worked great. With windows 10, Groove music crashes all the time. Edge browser opens a new tab every time I use it and I have to manually close a bunch of pages every few days. The health and fitness app closes every time its opened. The podcast app crashes, only downloads part of a podcast sometimes, and never marks stuff as being listened to. The address book is a separate app called people and cant be reached from inside the call menus. When I get a voice mail I receive a weird text message from verizon with a ton of random numbers and letters instead of being notified at the top of the screen. Cortana  doesn't understand half of the stuff I say and doesn't do simple things like play music, it just crashes instead. I've downloaded a bunch of replacement apps from the store and things are slightly better. Apparently there is no way to go back so I will just hope for an update in the future. I can't be the only person experiencing these problems after the upgrade.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The text messages for the voicemail might be because you haven't setup or updated the Visual Voicemail app for the Windows phone. Do you subscribe to visual voicemail?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Weber986 wrote:

There are no options for factory reset.

There are times that an upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile causes problems and factory reset needs to be done.  This clears up about 98% if the issues.

This is done by going to Settings > System > About and tap on Reset you phone.  Once you do that, again do not restore from backup when going through the setup.

Weber986 wrote:

The address book is a separate app called people and cant be reached from inside the call menus.

When you say the "call menus" are you talking about the Phone app when to make calls?  If so it definitely uses the contacts listed in the People app.

Weber986 wrote:

Apparently there is no way to go back so I will just hope for an update in the future. I can't be the only person experiencing these problems after the upgrade.

See my post above about reverting back to 8.1

0 Likes
Weber986
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally had time to use the device recovery tool. You need a PC and it takes about 2 hours, but it works. My phone has 8.1 again and is back to being awesome. Thanks.

0 Likes