Callers can't hear me
coinneachfitzpatrick
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since I got my 822 last December, I've had frequent problems with incoming and outgoing calls: the person on the other end can't hear me, even with the volume maxed. If I literally scream, they say it sounds like a faint echo. If I switch to speaker or bluetooth, they can hear me just fine, but those aren't always options - BT takes so frickin' long to sync that the other person usually hangs up on me, and I'm not going to be That Guy with his phone blaring his conversation for the entire world to hear on speaker. Googling shows me that I'm hardly the only person with this issue, but nobody has come up with a fix other than "Send it to Nokia under warranty, and it'll take three round trips before they give in and replace it." That's also unacceptable.

So. Anyone here got any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Callers can't hear me
primortal
Master - Level 1

Yes, request a replacement phone.  Most likely something happened to the mic on the phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@coinneachfitzpatrick

I am so sorry you're having this problem with your Nokia Lumia 822!  I want you to enjoy using your device again!  When did this problem begin?  Is this happening on every call or is it intermittent?  I would like to try a few troubleshooting steps and prevent you from having to reach out to the manufacturer yourself.

Have you tried removing and reinserting the device battery http://vz.to/18UBAt9?  Often times this can resolve these types of device hiccups.  What is the device current software version http://vz.to/180lrkQ?  The latest software update addressed some audio issues.  Please let me know so I can further investigate.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
coinneachfitzpatrick
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem began right out of the box when I got my phone last December. The problem is intermittent, but increasing in frequency (used to be every 5th call or so, now it's 9 out of 10). I've done multiple battery pulls and soft resets for various reasons, with no change. OS is 8.0.010327.77, firmware is 3045.0000.1328.1031 (I work in server hardware and constantly harp on the sysadmins to keep the firmware up-to-date, so it would be hypocritical of me not to maintain my own hardware).

One thing to note is that the phone doesn't seem to have a problem hearing me when I record a voice note through the mic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi coinneachfitzpatrick,

We certainly appreciate the additional response. Having a fully functional device is definitely important. Based upon the symptoms described, the issues could relate to any incorrectly functioning microphone on the device. The next best step would be to have the device evaluated. Do you recall a local VZW Store in the area? For immediate location of a nearby store please visit http://bit.ly/3SdsA. Please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
LINJOL87

I am having the same problem with my iPhone 6S.  so is my daughter.

0 Likes