CNN Tech: A new breed of 4G phones emerges (and then there's VZW)
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Lots of good coverage in this article for Sprint, and of course AT&T who rolled out a new line of LTE Windows Phones.  Interesting position that Verizon is placed in this article.  VZW "started" LTE, but now the competition is doing the same AND rolling out a variety of devices to utilize THEIR LTE network.

I think the fact that VZW fell short at CES2012 has been mentioned a few other times on this forum in the past week.  Random media sources seem to imply the same and are promoting VZW's competition.  That's never good.  Smiley Sad

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/13/tech/mobile/4g-phones-ces/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: CNN Tech: A new breed of 4G phones emerges (and then there's VZW)
Tidbits
Legend

competition is good...  The better the competition the better services we get... 

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

AT&T has LTE in about 22 cities, 23 if you count Puerto Rico. If you live in one of them you'll be able to connect your new 4G phone to a 4G network that is still slower than Verizon's. I live in one of those cities and was with AT&T for 15 years and couldn't even make a call from my own home, or get decent 3G coverage. That's the reason I'm with Verizon. Verizon's 4G network may have problems, but it's new and growing. Even with their problems, I can tether my laptop to my Rezound and have a good 4G connection that's faster than my home WiFi for the entire 12 hours I'm at work. I couldn't even tether to AT&T's 3G network. By the time Verizon has completed their coverage and is stable, AT&T will still be having the growing pains Verizon has been having and will still have lousy coverage.

AT&T and Sprint had a good showing at CES, but I'm more interested in seeing what comes out at the Mobile World Congress show of cellular phones next month. AT&T was trying to get their licks in early at CES because they probably aren't going to have much to brag about by the end of the phone show. I don't think I'd jump ship until I see what comes out of the phone show. Maybe nothing, but I'm just suspicious of AT&T and Sprint making announcements at CES instead of waiting for the MWC show.

Can someone please explain to me what the big excitement about a Windows Phone is? I have 4 Windows computers at home and several more at work and they're not always that much fun, so what's with all of the excitement about a device the size of a phone with the Windows OS on it? Is it going to be able to do something that my 17" laptop can't other than make a phone call? Seriously, I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I just don't understand it.

0 Likes
sm4astan
Enthusiast - Level 3

pat3332 wrote:

so what's with all of the excitement about a device the size of a phone with the Windows OS on it?

It's not about a phone doing what your Windows computer can do, it's about a phone doing the things a Smartphone can do, but doing it better and more efficiently than everything else out there.  Call it amazingly simple (as evidenced in what was done at CES with the WP7 speed challenges).

Anything and everything I want to do on a Smartphone I can do with a single click from my home screen -

• Check and see if I have personal Email, work Email, Messaging, new RSS feeds, and then read them all
  • Check Weather
  • Catch up on Mews
  • Listen to Music with my Zune Pass
  • Access my Calendar and see next appt.
  • Access all my Office docs including One Note and my Sky Drive
  • Play Xbox games
  • Browse the web
  • Call my favorite contacts
  • View Facebook and Linked In updates for all my friends/contacts
  • Track my workouts

For anyone with a smartphone this is all not new, but it's so simple to do, can be pined to your start that doing what I want to do on this phone takes no efforts.

Love my Trophy, but just want more screen real estate and larger keyboard that would come with a larger WP phone.

budone
Legend

Great to have a plethora of 4G devices available on Sprint, and ATT.

IMHO, BETTER to have a network to use them on. 

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

...that is, when that network is up!  Let's see how VZW LTE does in January.

Verizon Blames 4G Outages on 'Growing Pains,' Promises Improvements

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/30/verizon-adds-2-charge-admits-4g-network-issues/

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I haven't lost my network connection since that report. That doesn't mean some other areas haven't, but since getting the Rezound to replace my Thunderbolt, I've had a good stable 4G connection while tethered to my laptop at work all this month. I get just as aggravated as everyone else when it goes down and the longer it's up, the more aggravated I get when it goes down. At least they learn something each time and improve it. We'll just have to wait, probably for a long time, for AT&T to catch up to be able to compare the two 4G networks. I wonder if something faster will be rolling out by then.

0 Likes