Battery Problem
BrianCarling
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had my HTC Trophy for about 2 months and it has been working well.

This week the phone battery started running down very quickly.

After a full, overnight charge, the phone goes dead in about 6 hours.

I've removed most apps, performed a soft reset, reset roaming with *228 option 2 and reprogrammed the phone with *22890.

I'm still losing power very quickly and this is without making any calls or using the internet.

The phone feels warm as if it is running a demanding application.

(Note: I usually carry the phone in my pants pocket.  Could it be activated inadvertently?)

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

Any ideas about how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BC

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery Problem
BrianCarling
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the response, Rich.

Before resorting to a Hard Reset I looked the phone over one last time.

I noticed a YouTube video that had run in Zune a few days earlier was in a "Paused" state.

Running that video coincided with the start of my battery draining.

I couldn't determine how to "Stop" or remove the video, so I decided to re-sync my phone with Zune.

After doing that, the battery issue went away.

It seemed like the Zune software may have been "stuck" trying to stream the video constantly in the background.

(I don't know if that is really possible.  By the way, I believe the phone was running the 7.0.7390.0 "NoDo" software at the time.)

In any case, everything is working fine now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

BrianCarling wrote:

I've had my HTC Trophy for about 2 months and it has been working well.

This week the phone battery started running down very quickly.

After a full, overnight charge, the phone goes dead in about 6 hours.

I've removed most apps, performed a soft reset, reset roaming with *228 option 2 and reprogrammed the phone with *22890.

I'm still losing power very quickly and this is without making any calls or using the internet.

The phone feels warm as if it is running a demanding application.

(Note: I usually carry the phone in my pants pocket.  Could it be activated inadvertently?)

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

Any ideas about how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BC

As for being activated inadvertently, it is possible that the power button could be pressed in your pocket, however the phone has a proximity sensor, and unless the lock screen is swiped up in a pretty short time period, it will shut back off. 

Given the troubleshooting steps that you have performed, the only one left that I would do before taking it back to the store for a warranty exchange would be the hard reset.  Go to Settings, About, Reset your phone, and click yes on both of the warnings.  WARNING, THIS WILL DELETE ALL OF YOUR DATA.  If you are logged into the phone using your live account, though, your contacts are synced with live, so that won't be a loss.  They will sync right back with a new phone.  Make sure you have synced your pictures back to the PC through Zune before you do this, and make sure any music is on the PC as well.  Don't depend on Skydrive for pictures, as the automatic uploads are not full resolution images.

0 Likes
BrianCarling
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the response, Rich.

Before resorting to a Hard Reset I looked the phone over one last time.

I noticed a YouTube video that had run in Zune a few days earlier was in a "Paused" state.

Running that video coincided with the start of my battery draining.

I couldn't determine how to "Stop" or remove the video, so I decided to re-sync my phone with Zune.

After doing that, the battery issue went away.

It seemed like the Zune software may have been "stuck" trying to stream the video constantly in the background.

(I don't know if that is really possible.  By the way, I believe the phone was running the 7.0.7390.0 "NoDo" software at the time.)

In any case, everything is working fine now.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Very interesting....

0 Likes
chodi
Enthusiast - Level 3

so you would reccomend resetting the device before a reboot?

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

chodi wrote:

so you would reccomend resetting the device before a reboot?

Ummm.... No.  He said he did a soft reset.

0 Likes
chodi
Enthusiast - Level 3

ummmmm yes, you did

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

chodi wrote:

ummmmm yes, you did

I'm not following you.  Yes, who did what?

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think I had a similar problem with my phone, though I'm not sure what app might have been causing the problem. About a week or so ago my Trophy started running down it's charge much more quickly than before. Instead of needing to charge it every other night I was having to charge it every night. Yesterday morning I did a soft reboot of the phone and it's been much better since!

It seems like it's a good idea to soft reboot the Trophy periodically just for the heck of it. I think I'll do mine once per week going forward.

0 Likes