Amber Update Missing Items
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just set up my husband's new Nokia Lumia 928; I've had mine for a couple of weeks and his just arrived. Everything went well, including the Amber update; I checked the software version number plus re-checked for updates and got the message his phone was up to date. However, under Display, Glance is missing, and under Display > Touch, "Double tap to wake up phone" is missing.  (Maybe other pieces are missing; I know about those two because I wanted to set them up for him.)

Thoughts? I can call Nolia tomorrow, but wondered if others had missing "pieces," and if doing a re-set is the way to go. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Amber Update Missing Items
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Replying to myself : ) 

Someone on another forum suggested I upload the app SysApp Pusher, which lists everything, and if an install or update is available, you can do that. In this case, Glance and the double tap feature are under "display + touch," and the install button was displayed, so I installed it.  (On my phone the install button did not appear, since it was already installed.)

View solution in original post

bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Replying to myself : ) 

Someone on another forum suggested I upload the app SysApp Pusher, which lists everything, and if an install or update is available, you can do that. In this case, Glance and the double tap feature are under "display + touch," and the install button was displayed, so I installed it.  (On my phone the install button did not appear, since it was already installed.)

gb755cs
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same phone as your husband and I did the AMBER update I got the features you mentioned.  The only feature that I noticed was missing was the FM radio in the Xbox Music section but from what I have seen that feature appears to be missing on a lot of a VZW windows phone 8 devices.  Perhaps the update did miss those two features and a hard reset might fix the problem. Before proceeding with the hard reset do one or both of the following if they have not been done so already 1 Set up Backup Assistant Plus and do a full Sync. If the service is already set up check the date of the last sync and do a manual sync if the date is older than a few days and you know your husband has added, changed, or deleted contacts.  2.  On his Microsoft Account set up the the back up service for that as well and make sure that a recent sync has been completed.  I do not know of any way to back up his app data such as gave saves, in-app purchases, and so on but a record of the apps he downloaded both free and paid will be kept on his Microsoft Account and he can re-download them again after the reset. 

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, gb. While the SysApp Pusher solved the problem and installed the missing pieces, setting up Backup Assistant Plus and the MS back-up service is something I haven't done yet for either of our us, so thanks for the reminder.

I didn't see Xbox Music on SysApp Pusher - I wonder what determins what's listed on it.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the lead t SysAppPusher, bejeans.  I was not finding some of the updates being mentioned after we got the Amber update; thanks to that app, I've now got more goodies to play with on this phone!  Awesome!

0 Likes
SDLeMire
Enthusiast - Level 1

According to Nokia's Amber update info, the FM Radio feature is not available for the 928.

0 Likes
mrZoSo

That was recently changed. Up to a about the middle of last week, the 928 supported FM Radio. Seen a lot of people complaining about this at other forums. Seen a lot of people make calls to Verizon and Nokia. In the beginning Nokia said to contact Verizon about the issue, then Nokia all of a sudden says it doesn't have the hardware. It all seems kind of fishy to me, VZW in the past has disabled features on devices before for there own gain. Hope they discontinue this kind of practice or they'll be seeing people move to other carriers.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

The original post was about a couple of missing items that *are* part of the Amber update, that did successfully update to  my 928 but did not on my husband's 928 that he got a couple weeks after me.

They are now on my husband's phone - I used SysApp Pusher to get them. They are the double-tap to wake up and Glance. Nokia has a comment somewhere about them somewhere.

FM radio is a separate topic; there are arguments and complaints about that on different threads and boards.

0 Likes
SDLeMire
Enthusiast - Level 1

This topic was about the Amber update and has stayed on that topic.  This is a thread and people can reply to the OP or a specific post.  That's how it was setup.

If your question is answered, marking it 'answered' would be a good idea.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

The topic was about the two missing items on my husband's 928. I'm sorry I didn't call it, "Missing Glance and Double Tap." I'd prefer it not turn into yet another FM radio rant like on other boards and threads. They get out of hand. This was a question about those two items, and a fix has been found that might be helpful for others. That said, of course you and others can post whatever you choose.

0 Likes