Re: 10yr customer switching to AT&T from Verizon for the Nokia 900 Lumia
jleebiker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wait... What is the default behavior of WP? The ability to know where it is and automatically turn things on or off?

Thats not what my experience has been.

Also, the Trophy is NOT comparable to the Radar. The Radar is a whole different class above the Trophy.

0 Likes
justin_m_chase
Enthusiast - Level 2

The default behavior is that if you connect to a wifi router once and you come back within range of it the phone will automatically reconnect to the router and prefer using that for data instead of wireless data. So if you connect at home and at the office and you usually use data in those locations your actual data usage will be very minimal at the end of the month. No actions are required to connect and disconnect from previously connected wifi locations.

0 Likes
jleebiker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ahh. The wording says turn "on" the wifi. The wifi needs to be on, it just reconnects to an SSID that it's been configured to connect to. This is different than truly turning it on and off.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

right.....because if you just leave it on all of the time then won't it constantly try to find a network while you are driving? i was talking about a gps feature that, when it notices you are at home, it will actually turn it on......and then when you leave home, it will disable or turn off the wifi. you could always just leave wifi "on" all of the time but it will drain the battery constantly searching for networks.

0 Likes
justin_m_chase
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see, that is an interesting idea. But then again you have to have your GPS on all the time in that case, scanning for known coordinates. I'm not sure that's any better than just scanning for wifi. I just always leave mine on, I get about 48 hours with normal usage.

0 Likes
jleebiker
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's the crux of the issue. I usually had GPS on all the time anyway with other devices... I'm not sure HOW WP keeps things like GPS running anymore. On the Droid and BB, the app stays running and when they detect you are at the location you designated for WiFi, they turn it on. Otherwise, it turns WiFi off.

I guess its a matter of how are you going to drain your battery, leaving GPS running or leaving WiFi running? 😉

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

my gps services are always on and it doesn't seem to drain much, but when i leave wifi on and am driving around, it seems to drain pretty quickly?

0 Likes
danvega
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm planning on leaving Verizon this summer if they don't bring the Lumia 900 or at least expand their Windows Phone offerings so something equally good. There apathy towards the Windows Phone OS is enough that'll I'll pay my early termination fee and go to another carrier. It's a great OS and the Lumia is a really nice phone but I'd be ok with Samsung Focus S or HTC Titan II. I'm also considering buying the phones I want unlocked, but I'd rather leave Verzion so they feel the loss and know that they made their customer unhappy through lack of support.

jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I've been giving this switch to AT&T a little more thought.  I don't talk on the phone nearly as much as I used to, and I'm wondering if the AT&T coverage is decent enough.  I don't think I need perfect anymore.  Verizon has totally and completely botched a switch of my 5 lines over to a corporate account (I only needed to do this becuase they ended their international data plan and instituted something insane like $20 a mb???).  What is this, 2003?

Anyway, also sick of being restricted to phones that needed to be CDMA AND GSM. 

If I switch over to At&t, their network is GSM right?  So I won't need a dual band phone, will I? 

Are their international data plans decent?

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

gsm offers many international data plans or sim swapping to local carriers.

check coverage maps on at&t they're pretty accurate but remember GSM has less penetration into cavernous buildings and basements. coverage maps imho mean "outside".

0 Likes