Highlighted

Questions about Assumption of Liability and device to be used for unlimited data plan

This is my first post on here. I have an opportunity that someone I know is willing to transfer his smartphone plan with unlimited data to me. I have read extensively on here and other sites and gathered some information, and also heard of many complications and questionable losses of unlimited data plans when making various types of changes to devices or services. Some of what I read may be outdated as well if Verizon has made changes in their policies, so I will start with the most obvious question: as of this date, is an AOL possible while keeping the unlimited data plan intact?

If so, here are some other questions I have:

-Will I receive a new SIM card by mail or do I need to use my friend's old SIM card?

-If my ultimate end goal is to use laptop, do I have to connect through a smartphone (and is there any additional charge for that, or would it change the plan), or can I put the SIM card in a mobile hotspot such as the MHS291L and use only the data portion of the plan?

-After getting the plan, is there any way I can get TWO SIM cards - one for a mobile hotspot, and the other strictly for voice and text? If so, how much extra would that cost?

-If we went to a Verizon store to do this transfer or AOL, how can we be absolutely certain it goes smoothly, that no one makes any unauthorized plan changes and does not lose the unlimited data? I have unfortunately read some horror stories of it being lost in similar situations, no one seems to be accountable, and it winds up costing someone countless hours of struggle with Verizon to try to get it back (whether they are successful or not I don't know).

-If at some point the SIM card was lost (such as if I lost the device), can it be replaced without affecting the plan?

For what it's worth (especially for those working for Verizon), I am not looking for a way to hog up absurd amounts of data but simply to be able to do the basic stuff I need to online and maybe watch a movie once in a while without having really huge bills. Even if I used the internet without giving data consumption a second thought, I doubt I'd go much over 25-30GB most months.

Thanks to whoever can provide me with information.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Questions about Assumption of Liability and device to be used for unlimited data plan

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello d_7. We can help review over the AOL information with you. If you like, please accept my Follow request, and send me a PM. This way we can help look over this information with you.

Thank you.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Questions about Assumption of Liability and device to be used for unlimited data plan

Hi NicandroN_VZW, sorry i did not see your reply in time but thank you just the same. I called the number for the AOL department and they were able to help me with it pretty easily and answer most of my questions Smiley Happy

I do have a couple other questions regarding the unlimited data plan on smartphones. I have seen various comments regarding these things online, and i can make a good guess about what "might work," but i'm really looking to know Verizon's official policy on these things, if one exists. In case any non-verizon employees are able to provide this information as well, if you have references to where i can find it in writing that would be helpful.

First, i realize there is an optional $30 fee for mobile hotspot use. But does Verizon have any policy about whether this fee must be paid if i connect only via a USB cable (since it would not actually be a "hotspot," and could not connect multiple devices)?

And my other question is, if i do opt to pay the $30 hotspot fee, is there any policy either for or against using that SIM card in a 4g hotspot such as the MHS291L?

PS i am asking these things here rather than by PM because, given the wide range of opinions which can be found online and that others have looked into similar things, i am sure other people could also benefit from knowing Verizon's policy regarding these things.

0 Likes