Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
Nurse discount
Blu658

Does anyone know if the first responder  discount  is available for nurses .The guy who sold me the phone said yes .

0 Likes
Re: Nurse discount
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
0 Likes
JOG0277
Novice

Unfortunately nurses are not considered 1st responders.  1st Responders are identified as: Police Officers, Fire Fighters, EMS Workers and Military Personnel.

While the jobs of Nurses and Doctors are very important and also Life Saving; they are Technically Considered 2nd Responders, due to their duties usually taking place in a Safe and Controlled Environment (IE: Hospital), and not in Harms Way.

0 Likes
mnick1313

Are you kidding me? I have been hit, punched, threatened and abused in my nursing line of work trying to help people. Do not think that it is any way a controlled 2 responder environment. That is not true. 

Tags (1)
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

I'm curious where you work? In a hospital?

0 Likes
PinkMartiniChick

One of the Verizon Customer Service reps actually told me they did, but when I still didn’t receive the discount, weeks later, another rep told me that, just kidding, they don’t. 

I agree with the other poster who said they have been physically assaulted working as an RN. Factor in verbal and sexual assault and harassment, too. Ironically, traditional “first responders” are able to wait until a scene is safe before approaching the person (not always the case, but usually); nurses and doctors don’t quite have that luxury. 

The takeaway from Verizon’s policy is that if your patient is coding or you’re unloading a trauma or dissecting aorta from a chopper, don’t use your cell phone to call the doctor directly on his/her cell phone. Wait until you have access to a hospital phone, then page him/her or leave a message with their answering service, but don’t leave your cell as a callback number. 

Likewise, make sure that the doctor doesn’t call or text your cell phone with orders they may have inadvertently forgotten to put in while they were busy not first-responding. The doctor should always have your random ASCOM number memorized. If not, they can call the main desk or the operator and sit on hold while someone tries to track you down. 

Also, if someone is injured and finds their way to your ER, or if there is an episode of workplace violence (that takes place in acute care hospital settings more than you think you know), don’t do anything. You’re not a first responder. So make sure to just stand around. You could call the “real” first responders if you’d like. Just don’t call from your cell phone. 

HaitianRN86

They pretty much told me that Registered Nurses don’t count as first responders after giving me false information to sign up. Yet we’re on the frontline.

aktbird57

To:

rcschnoor 
Sr. Leader

Go to any emergency room in the country & you will find nurses that have been attached & abused physically & verbally by psych &/or drug addled patients.

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

@aktbird57 wrote:

To:

rcschnoor 
Sr. Leader

Go to any emergency room in the country & you will find nurses that have been attached & abused physically & verbally by psych &/or drug addled patients.

Unfortunately, working in a dangerous profession does not classify you as a "first responder". There are MANY other dangerous professions which also do not qualify for a "first responder" discount. Possibly Verizon should offer a dangerous profession discount?

One of the reasons for the "first responder" discount is the disproportionately low pay vs high risk associated with the job which they perform. For example the average EMT employee receives MUCH less pay than the average ER Nurse. That does not mean both professions are not underpaid. Many professions are probably underpaid, but that does not take away the fact an EMT would benefit much more from the discount than the much higher paid nurse.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/What-Is-the-Average-EMT-paramedic-Salary-by-State

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/What-Is-the-Average-ER-Nurse-Salary-by-State

0 Likes
KAQUARTURE

Emergency room nurses are given the same pts as ema transports and are exposed to the same things medics are and should be treated as first responders esp during covid