Highlighted

Maybe I can get an answer.

So here is my dilemma.

My wife and I want to have iPhones. We have regular phones and iPods and would like to consolidate devices for obvious reasons. So that translates into an extra $60 a month for mandatory data packages. The major problem is, we don't need the wireless data, there's wi-fi nearly anywhere we go. And really if we're traveling, Facebook, emails, and that other stuff can wait. 

So I thought I would contact VZW and find out why this is mandatory.

So far I've been told by reps:

The data plan for this phone is like the motor for a car, it will not work with out it.

No one is capable of removing the data plan.

The iPhone does not have an option to turn off cellular data.

Apple forces us to charge this rate on all smartphones in order to sell the iPhone.

I've been a customer for over 8 years, with 7 lines and I've been happy until the data raping began. Once these smartphones came out the selection of regular phones dropped and then the mandatory 9.99 plans came and went. Its been a mess. Now I know that what I've been told is full of crap. Wow, this company is really pushing to fleece its customers by forcing them into data plans just to get a decent phone. Even worse now is that I can't a hold of any supervisor or any corporate contact, so now I am forced to post here in hopes any VZW employee can actually explain this.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Maybe I can get an answer.

wayneman61104 wrote:

So here is my dilemma.

My wife and I want to have iPhones. We have regular phones and iPods and would like to consolidate devices for obvious reasons. So that translates into an extra $60 a month for mandatory data packages. The major problem is, we don't need the wireless data, there's wi-fi nearly anywhere we go. And really if we're traveling, Facebook, emails, and that other stuff can wait. 

So I thought I would contact VZW and find out why this is mandatory.

So far I've been told by reps:

The data plan for this phone is like the motor for a car, it will not work with out it. Not true, the phone CAN work as a phone without cellular data.

No one is capable of removing the data plan. This is true.  Data plans are MANDATORY for smartphones activated on the Verizon network.  If you activate a smartphone, the system will require to add a data plan, no way around it.

The iPhone does not have an option to turn off cellular data. I know that it has an "airplane" mode that turns off all of the radios (WiFi and cellular), and I suspect that it also has the ability turn off just 3G data, but I'm not positive about that.

Apple forces us to charge this rate on all smartphones in order to sell the iPhone. Apple does put restrictions on its partners in terms of how they are allowed to offer and sell their products.  This is entirely possible, but the exact details of the agreement are confidential, so there's really no way to know for sure.

I've been a customer for over 8 years, with 7 lines and I've been happy until the data raping began. I've disagreed with the data plans, but I think this is an overly strong term...  Verizon does still offer phones that can be activated without a data plan, and there's a huge supply of used phones of older models out there to choose from as well. Once these smartphones came out the selection of regular phones dropped and then the mandatory 9.99 plans came and went. Its been a mess. Now I know that what I've been told is full of crap. Wow, this company is really pushing to fleece its customers by forcing them into data plans just to get a decent phone. Even worse now is that I can't a hold of any supervisor or any corporate contact, so now I am forced to post here in hopes any VZW employee can actually explain this.

If you want an iPhone, you'll need to pay for a $30/month minimum data plan, there's no way around it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

spottedcatfish wrote:

wayneman61104 wrote:

~snip~

The iPhone does not have an option to turn off cellular data. I know that it has an "airplane" mode that turns off all of the radios (WiFi and cellular), and I suspect that it also has the ability turn off just 3G data, but I'm not positive about that.  You can turn off the cellular data on an iPhone.  However you still need to have the smartphone data plan on the account.

~snip~

If you want an iPhone, you'll need to pay for a $30/month minimum data plan, there's no way around it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

smartphones use data, most users are **bleep** and dont know how to turn data off.

To avoid 10 million calls about "omg whats this data charge i dont use data" verizon took the stance that if you want a smartphone on their network you pay for a data package.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable
Smartphones require a data plan. Enough said.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

try to get an iphone on any network without data

heck try for any smartphone without data on any network

its the future embrace it

0 Likes
Covid19