Does Wifi Have Precedence When Turned On?

On my HTC Eris, when I have wifi turned on and I am receiving a cellular data signal as well, will my phone prefer the wifi to the cellular network?  Which data signal takes precedence?

Obviously, I want to conserve my bandwidth for when I'm out of the house.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Does Wifi Have Precedence When Turned On?

Expert

If you leave the wifi radio on and your phone find an open wifi hotspot, then yes, you will use the wifi data and not the cellular data connection. The phone also use more battery by continually searching for an available wifi connection. If you want to connect to a secured wifi hotspot, you have to search from the available wifi connections and input the password to connect to the wifi. Your phone will then remember to connect to that wifi connection the next time you are within range of it.

You can also turn off the cellular data connection. Go to settings > wireless & networks > mobile network > uncheck it. You can also use the mobile network widget in the personalization options of the Droid Eris.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Does Wifi Have Precedence When Turned On?

Expert

If you leave the wifi radio on and your phone find an open wifi hotspot, then yes, you will use the wifi data and not the cellular data connection. The phone also use more battery by continually searching for an available wifi connection. If you want to connect to a secured wifi hotspot, you have to search from the available wifi connections and input the password to connect to the wifi. Your phone will then remember to connect to that wifi connection the next time you are within range of it.

You can also turn off the cellular data connection. Go to settings > wireless & networks > mobile network > uncheck it. You can also use the mobile network widget in the personalization options of the Droid Eris.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Covid19