Highlighted

3G vs. Extended Coverage in PR

mgmoralesroc

Hi all,

I'm currently in Puerto Rico for a week. (Family reasons.) Now, I've read through various discussions on what is and isn't available here, and so far what I've gotten is that I should be covered under my plan for calls, texts, and data except in certain areas that go into roaming. Texts work fine and I don't anticipate having to call anyone, but if I do, I'm assuming that'll be fine as well. My problem is with data usage.

The wifi here can be rather . . . mercurial, shall we say . . . and even when the signal is okay my phone will sometimes be unable to send iMessages, connect to the web/FB/Twitter/whatever. When I turn off the Wi-Fi and attempt to do the same on the Extended network coverage (which the coverage map's tooltip says should be able to access messaging, email and the Web) I can't do any of that. To do so I have to turn on "data roaming," at which point a "3G" pops up on my top bar, and I start incurring "Cellular Data Roaming" amounts. (I assume this is someone else's 3G network, but I welcome corrections.) So, obviously, I've got Cellular Data turned off and roaming set on Voice Only right now.

So here are my questions:

- Can I turn on "data roaming" and access that 3G network without incurring charges?

- Failing that, is there another way for me to access a faster network than 1x without incurring charges?

- Failing that, is there another way for me to actually access Internet/email/iMessaging (outside of wi-fi, I mean) without incurring charges? Or should the extended network be able to do that?

I've read through all the info that says I'm covered under my data plan and texting and whatnot, but I've heard three different stories on here alone, and most people say they've never incurred extra charges, but then they never say they went off the Extended, whereas I can't do any data usage on it.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: 3G vs. Extended Coverage in PR

Community Manager
Community Manager

tonym021139, great question! The good news is that if you are on one of our Nationwide plans or our current More Everything plan then yes, you would indeed be covered. Also, if you ever are in need to find the rates for another trip, you would be able to see what you need by using our Internation Trip Planner here http://vz.to/V2lQ7c.

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Puerto Rico sounds amazing mgmoralesroc! I hope you are enjoying your time. Allow us to provide clarification with using your phone while in Puerto Rico.

Making and receiving phone calls, text are considered domestic and are covered under your calling plan. If you do not have a text messaging plan you are then billed $.20 cents to send and $.20 cents to receive. Please keep in mind, sending and receiving picture or video messages are not covered while in Puerto Rico and the charge is $.50 cents to send and $.25 cents to receive.

I am happy to confirm that data usage in Puerto Rico is considered domestic and will deduct from your current data plan. Also, please keep in mind that Puerto Rico is part of our Extended Network, which means we have agreements with other cell carriers in the area to allow our customers to use for service. With this being said, service in Puerto Rico may not always be guaranteed.

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes

tonym021139

Does this mean that I can turn on roaming while I'm here in Puerto Rico with no additional charges for calls only? No texting or any other use.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

tonym021139, great question! The good news is that if you are on one of our Nationwide plans or our current More Everything plan then yes, you would indeed be covered. Also, if you ever are in need to find the rates for another trip, you would be able to see what you need by using our Internation Trip Planner here http://vz.to/V2lQ7c.

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes