Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
Re: 3G Slow - Salt Lake City
Andreas601
Novice

JAKE1138 wrote:

Oh, so if I first login to My Verizon and go here, then I show up as JAKE1138.  What a confusing mess.  So I can't directly log into the forums or else I end up as JAKE1138x.  But when I didn't have that before and refreshed this page, I would get a very confusing page asking me to create a new ID.

You're not alone. I had the exact same issues with this site, so I just link through My Verizon. That's the only way I can get access to this site with my current user name.

Jake, please let me know the outcomes of your trouble ticket(s) with VZW as some of the areas you mentioned are of concern to me as well.

0 Likes
JAKE1138

ChristinaB, thanks for responding but your canned response is not very helpful. I understand that there are many factors that can limit speeds but if my coworkers and friends are getting great speeds with other providers, those excuses really don't set well with me. It's not a time of day thing. It's an every day, all day thing. Your 3G service should be at least as good as any other provider's 3G service. That is what I expect for the money I pay.

SamuelP is looking into the trouble ticket. I hope he figures something out. As it stands right now, I don't know if it is my phone or the service. I believe it to be the service though since other coworkers on Verizon are having the same problem. This is very frustrating because I'm locked into a contract for this one phone and have no way to test this with any other phone. I wish I could.

0 Likes
Andreas601
Novice

JAKE1138 wrote:

ChristinaB, thanks for responding but your canned response is not very helpful. I understand that there are many factors that can limit speeds but if my coworkers and friends are getting great speeds with other providers, those excuses really don't set well with me. It's not a time of day thing. It's an every day, all day thing. Your 3G service should be at least as good as any other provider's 3G service. That is what I expect for the money I pay.

SamuelP is looking into the trouble ticket. I hope he figures something out. As it stands right now, I don't know if it is my phone or the service. I believe it to be the service though since other coworkers on Verizon are having the same problem. This is very frustrating because I'm locked into a contract for this one phone and have no way to test this with any other phone. I wish I could.

If you push the issue hard enough, I wonder if VZW will allow you to trade your current phone for an LTE phone...LTE is faster than anything else in this market.

0 Likes
JAKE1138

Andreas601 wrote:

If you push the issue hard enough, I wonder if VZW will allow you to trade your current phone for an LTE phone...LTE is faster than anything else in this market.

That would be great but I have little hope of that.  I would be willing to try anything though.  All I want is to have a smart phone that can stream videos wherever I am at.  My friends have that capability so I don't think it's unrealistic for me to expect that as well.

0 Likes
JAKE1138

Why is my original post marked as SOLVED?  This issue is most definitely not solved.

0 Likes
Andreas601
Novice

Jake,

Did you have VZW look into this yet? Have they been able to give you any feedback about the slow data issues?

0 Likes
JAKE1138

I have not heard back from anyone other than SammuelP on these forums.  I messaged him a couple days ago and he said the ticket is still open.

This issue is NOT SOLVED despite what this thread is marked.

0 Likes
JAKE1138

VZW came back and told me the locations they tested were fine.  I then spoke with their support and managed to get them to swap my Incredible for an Incredible 2.  It works better in some of the locations where I had problems.  I got 1Mbps down at the Leprechaun Inn (4600 S 900 E) where I used to get 100-400k.  I got 600k down at the In & Out next to the Valley Fair Mall which is a slight improvement over the 100-400k I got there as well.  I still have problem streaming video while driving around though.  There still seems to be a lot of sub-400k dead spots.

So overall I'm glad that it works better but I'm still not completely satisfied.  I'll be satisfied when I can actually stream video anywhere I go within the city.  I can't wait until my first contract is up and I only have to pay $200 to terminate my contract.  Then I can check out T-Mobile or Sprint.  Whatever it takes to lower my monthly cost, that is what I'm going to do.  It sucks that I have to pay more than my friends AND they get blazing fast 4G speeds and can stream videos wherever they go.  VZW needs a 3G to 4G upgrade path for contracted customers.  Otherwise, they're just going to lose them.

0 Likes
Andreas601
Novice

JAKE1138 wrote:

VZW came back and told me the locations they tested were fine.  I then spoke with their support and managed to get them to swap my Incredible for an Incredible 2.  It works better in some of the locations where I had problems.  I got 1Mbps down at the Leprechaun Inn (4600 S 900 E) where I used to get 100-400k.  I got 600k down at the In & Out next to the Valley Fair Mall which is a slight improvement over the 100-400k I got there as well.  I still have problem streaming video while driving around though.  There still seems to be a lot of sub-400k dead spots.

So overall I'm glad that it works better but I'm still not completely satisfied.  I'll be satisfied when I can actually stream video anywhere I go within the city.  I can't wait until my first contract is up and I only have to pay $200 to terminate my contract.  Then I can check out T-Mobile or Sprint.  Whatever it takes to lower my monthly cost, that is what I'm going to do.  It sucks that I have to pay more than my friends AND they get blazing fast 4G speeds and can stream videos wherever they go.  VZW needs a 3G to 4G upgrade path for contracted customers.  Otherwise, they're just going to lose them.

From my experiences with Sprint in the Salt Lake Valley, I definitely woudn't count on them to be able to support streaming video anywhere in the city. I used to have a Sprint aircard that  I cancelled a few months ago because of how slow their 3G network was.

If you want to escalate further, you may need to get in touch with VZW Executive Services Team who is extremely responsive and will follow through (and make sure you don't get canned responses from local engineers).

I tested LTE right by the Leprechaun the other day and got 10+ Mbps down which works just fine for streaming video. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
JAKE1138

I spoke with a VZW rep today and they offered to buy my Incredible 2 back for $105 (I have 6 months left on my first contract) so I could get a new 4G-capable phone and move to 4G so I'm considering that.  This will start a new 2-yr contract though.  I wonder if I should take the buy back offer or just sell it on eBay.  Surely I could get more than $105 for the phone.

0 Likes