Re: would like to know why my data speeds have been so slow. this came about when verizon went unlimited
LINEME74
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok so here is what has happened. changed sim card did not fix the problem. the tech suggested factory resetting my phone. i told them i would consider it if it was just me having the issues.but there are other people at my work having the same issues. i have never reached the 22 gig limit. in fact i have never reached 22 gigs since i've been with verizon.it has nothing to do with unlimited a guy i work with doesn't have unlimited and he is having the same issues.so after talking to the tech they finally admitted that it's not my phone. they opened a ticket to have the tower checked. but in the end it's not the tower. it's the fact that verizon has too many people on that tower at one time and it can't handle it. the towers work like highways. early morning when everyone is just getting up they are fast. as more traffic starts to show up . guess what traffic jams. but verizon needs to fix this issue. now don't get me wrong i expect it to be a little slower at peak times. but not to the point that the internet won't load. i know verizon went unlimited to keep existing customers and get new customers. but customers won't stay if they can't use their internet

0 Likes
Re: would like to know why my data speeds have been so slow. this came about when verizon went unlimited
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sprmankalel, we want you to have the speeds you need. On our unlimited data plan you are given 22GB per device. If you are in a congested network area the data will be prioritized per device and customers can experience 3G speeds. This is only if you are in a congested network area. If you have any questions about your plan, we're here to help.

LauraL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
LINEME74
Enthusiast - Level 3

3g speeds is one thing but i'm not even getting that at times. . when i run speed test at my job i barely hit ,5 mbps down and the upload is usuall.2 mbps if i'm lucky. i know it's 22 gigs per device i checked my data last night and i'm just over 3 gigs. so not even close to 22 gigs.so basically what they are saying is they can deprioritize you in a congested area. well as far as i'm concerned that would be false advertisement. and what i mean by that is the commercials and website they depriortize you only when you hit 22 gigs. now don't get me wrong i don't mind paying for quality. and being i'm at work for 12 hours a day and can only use the internet for about 5 hours out of the 12 if i'm lucky. well that's not quality. know i don't spend hours on my phone at work. i check news and stuff from time to time

0 Likes
jffhgg

I am glad to hear I am not the only one with these issues. I have 4G LTE Installed (home wireless internet). I began to experience slow-down about 6 weeks ago and I was not on unlimited data at the time. In one of my support calls, the technician recommended the unlimited plan because it would save me quite a bit on data. I mentioned the reported slow-down in data speeds but he said that was only on phones and not the home cantennas. In the past couple of weeks, my home internet became unusable so I had a tech come to my house for a service call. He changed my cantenna to a newer model with no improvement and spent 2 hours trying to help me out, even calling his service tech to no avail. I have had the service for over 5 years with no problem but one of the trouble tickets replied that I was in a marginal reception area even though I am less than 3 miles from a tower. I used to be able to stream movies and music and now sometimes I'm lucky to load a page. As I write this, I have a speed of 250 kbps. I would really like to hear an honest explanation for what's going on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jffhgg, we want you to have the speeds you need. If you are on the Verizon unlimited plan using an internet device and use more than 10GB per month we may prioritize your data if you are in a congested network area. After the 10GB, speeds may reduce to 3G. If you use more than 10GB per month we can look into your plan options. Would you like to proceed?

LauraL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
LINEME74
Enthusiast - Level 3

the 10 gigs answer does not answer why my speeds are slow as i haven't gone over 10 gigs. i currently sit at 3.99 gigs. i don't need anyone to contact me to help me as the problem is not on my end. it's on verizons end. oh and i'm on the unlimited plan. if the problem persists maybe i'll try out a competitor

jffhgg

When I signed on to unlimited data, your representative specifically told me that my speeds would not drop on the cantenna because it can only use 4G data. Irregardless, the speeds were unacceptably slow before I ever switched to unlimited data and still remain so.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I'm not sure what only being able to use 4G data has to do with not being able to slow down your speed. The data can still be slowed down, it will just stay on a 4G signal. 4G does not mean a specific data speed will ALWAYS be available, just that a fast speed is possible. Additionally, changing your plan would not mean your signal would improve. The speed you are able to achieve is a combination of signal strength and tower congestion along with any re-prioritization Verizon may inflict on your account after reaching a certain data limit during your billing cycle.

0 Likes
jffhgg

[Removed]

If you look at the reply from Verizon Wireless Customer Support above, THEY state that the speed may be reduced to 3G. The point I was making was that on direct questioning, the representative told me point blank that the 4G LTE Internet Installed was not subject to "re-prioritization Verizon may inflict on your account after reaching a certain data limit during your billing cycle" thus resulting in slower speeds. And I changed plans because it was cheaper than buying monthly data. This, however, is not the issue. The point of this thread is why has speed/service that has been more than adequate for 5 years been reduced to speeds that are practically unusable, both when I was on purchased data and unlimited data. No one has given an adequate explanation for this reduced service.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
LINEME74
Enthusiast - Level 3

well i understand what makes up data usage i'm not saying my data can't be slower due to network congestion and 3g status and such. what i'm saying is when i have 3 to four bars and my internet times out . it's a network issue

0 Likes