wired or IP phone integrated with mobile number
Lifespeed

I am still using VoIP, but find that Verizons new VoLTE, HD Voice and wifi calling when combined form a critical mass to replace my current VoIP system.

The missing piece is integration with a corded phone in the house.  Isn't there a slick setup, with this new IP phone system Verizon has, to connect my IP phone on my plan for a hopefully nominal monthly charge, like $10 device access?  It would ideally connect over internet, not mobile tower.  Truth is I don't much use the corded phone at  home because I have VoIP on my smartphone, but Verizon wifi calling servers the same purpose of using the better wifi connect when available.

Surely I can't be the only person with such a need?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: wired or IP phone integrated with mobile number
Weth
Legend

Verizon wifi calling does not offer this capability.

I had a set of wireless handset phones at home that had the option to connect to bluetooth and that worked for getting phone calls throughout the house from the phone. Eventually I just started using the cell phone exclusively and shut that system off when something broke.

You could do something like this too with Google, but it would still require second VOIP provider for the home handset.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that you have all of the answers to your questions. In order to do that, I have a few of my own. Are you wanting for your home phone to ring in the event that your cell is not answered? Is this line used for personal or business use?

NicholeK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Lifespeed

I would like my home phone (which happens to be a VoIP phone) to ring simultaneously with the mobile phone, particularly when receiving a mobile call over wifi.

With Verizon offering wifi calling for more consistent signal reception and unloading of the mobile network, it would seem this is an obvious need when the phone rings at home.

It is personal use, although I fail to see how this changes technical capabilities.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Verizon wifi calling does not offer this capability.

I had a set of wireless handset phones at home that had the option to connect to bluetooth and that worked for getting phone calls throughout the house from the phone. Eventually I just started using the cell phone exclusively and shut that system off when something broke.

You could do something like this too with Google, but it would still require second VOIP provider for the home handset.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I would guess your cheapest route to go would be to use Google Voice with your current cellphone and get home service thru OOMA. You can purchase the OOMA device then use VOIP calling thru your broadband internet provider.

Give everyone your Google Voice number and set that up for simultaneous ring for your cell # and your OOMA number.

0 Likes
Lifespeed

I already know how to use VoIP and currently do not give out my mobile number, but instead use the VoIP number.  This rings my mobile when I am away from home, and rings VoIP over wifi on my mobile phone (simultaneous with the corded VoIP phone) when I am at home.

I was looking to get away from this somewhat-elaborate but well functioning system now that Verizon can route calls over wifi.  The only missing piece is also ringing a corded phone.

In a perfect world, Verizon would simply allow me to register my ethernet VoIP phone on their system along with my mobile, given that VoLTE is, after all, VoIP.  And they are obviously doing VoIP over the public internet with wifi calling.

That is how Verizon gets the landline business, IMHO, fixed-mobile convergence.  Although truth be told I'm not going to be willing to pay an additional $20 - $30 a month for that on top of my rather large VZW bill.  I only pay about $6/mo for that little-used landline VoIP service.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Lifespeed wrote:

and rings VoIP over wifi on my mobile phone (simultaneous with the corded VoIP phone) when I am at home.

This should only happen if your cellular signal is not very strong at your home.

Lifespeed wrote:

I was looking to get away from this somewhat-elaborate but well functioning system now that Verizon can route calls over wifi.

While Verizon CAN do so with SOME phones, it is not the PREFERRED method for Verizon to route your calls. If you have a wifi and cellular signal, your phone will choose cellular.

Lifespeed wrote:

In a perfect world, Verizon would simply allow me to register my ethernet VoIP phone on their system along with my mobile, given that VoLTE is, after all, VoIP. And they are obviously doing VoIP over the public internet with wifi calling.

VoLTE may be VoIP, but that is not the MAIN way Verizon routes calls. VoLTE still has nowhere near the footprint that normal cellular calls currently have. What you are asking for Verizon to incorporate into their cellular system is simultaneous ring which land based VoIP calling has. VZW does not really have an incentive to do so. Land based VoIP does so that you can answer your calls if you change locations. CELLULAR providers don't have the same incentive because if you DO change locations, your phone changes locations TOO so there is no real reason for VZW to invest in the infrastructure/software to do so.

Lifespeed wrote:

That is how Verizon gets the landline business, IMHO, fixed-mobile convergence. Although truth be told I'm not going to be willing to pay an additional $20 - $30 a month for that on top of my rather large VZW bill. I only pay about $6/mo for that little-used landline VoIP service.

You may know how VoIP works, but it doesn't sound as if you understand what I am suggesting. Google Voice is free and offers simultaneous ring meaning your cell/home would ring when someone calls your Google Voice number if you choose for it to do so. Vooma has no cost except for the associated taxes so I'm not sure where you are getting this $20-$30/month on top of your Verizon bill. Vooma's website estimated my monthly taxes to be $4-$5/month for a total cost of my Verizon bill + $4-$5/month for what you are hoping for if I want to do what you are suggesting.

0 Likes
Lifespeed

rcschnoor wrote:

may know how VoIP works, but it doesn't sound as if you understand what I am suggesting. Google Voice is free and offers simultaneous ring meaning your cell/home would ring when someone calls your Google Voice number if you choose for it to do so. Vooma has no cost except for the associated taxes so I'm not sure where you are getting this $20-$30/month on top of your Verizon bill. Vooma's website estimated my monthly taxes to be $4-$5/month for a total cost of my Verizon bill + $4-$5/month for what you are hoping for if I want to do what you are suggesting.

I understand what you suggested and implemented it 5 years ago using my own PBX running asterisk, connected to a VoIP provider.  Pretty much your Google Voice example without handing over control to Google.  The $30/month comment was my prediction of what Verizon would charge for any added "service", no matter how modest.

Good wifi in my home is always a better solution for me than a cell tower.  The Samsung Galaxy S7 phone (the one device that is not part of my VoIP setup because wifi calling has nearly made it redundant) knows this and prefers to receive calls on wifi, which is far better than a mediocre LTE signal.  The instances where a cell tower works better than good, private wifi are few.

Comments about what is best for Verizon, Verizon's motivations, etc, are really not my concern.  As a customer I would like certain features, and simultaneous ring from a VoIP system seems a pretty reasonable request.  I remember not too long ago when the wireless carriers didn't want you "bypassing" their network with bluetooth file transfers and even wifi, thinking they were losing revenue.  Didn't take them too long to figure out that offloading traffic from their crowded towers was ultimately in their best interest.  Wifi calling is exactly the same thing, and it benefits both carrier and customer.

I just think they could simul-ring my VoIP landline too.  They have the ability, it is really not much of a technical leap.

0 Likes
Lifespeed

rcschnoor wrote:

Lifespeed wrote:

and rings VoIP over wifi on my mobile phone (simultaneous with the corded VoIP phone) when I am at home.

This should only happen if your cellular signal is not very strong at your home.

Lifespeed wrote:

I was looking to get away from this somewhat-elaborate but well functioning system now that Verizon can route calls over wifi.

While Verizon CAN do so with SOME phones, it is not the PREFERRED method for Verizon to route your calls. If you have a wifi and cellular signal, your phone will choose cellular.

Phone calls only use the cell tower when the signal is strong.  Given the reality of cellular coverage it uses wifi for calling a lot.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Lifespeed wrote:

I understand what you suggested and implemented it 5 years ago using my own PBX running asterisk, connected to a VoIP provider. Pretty much your Google Voice example without handing over control to Google. The $30/month comment was my prediction of what Verizon would charge for any added "service", no matter how modest.

What added service? You already have Verizon. Why would you have to change your Verizon service at all??? NO change would be less than a modest change. No change in service equals no change in cost. Furthermore, you say you implemented what I suggested 5 years ago. In a previous post, you also state the only thing missing is the corded phone ringing. If that is missing, you did not implement what I suggested because what I suggested WOULD have your corded phone ringing. When someone calls my Google Voice number, my home number AND my office number AND my cell number ALL ring, two of which are corded phones.

Lifespeed wrote:

Good wifi in my home is always a better solution for me than a cell tower. The Samsung Galaxy S7 phone (the one device that is not part of my VoIP setup because wifi calling has nearly made it redundant) knows this and prefers to receive calls on wifi, which is far better than a mediocre LTE signal. The instances where a cell tower works better than good, private wifi are few.

I use the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with wifi calling enabled. I have a very strong wifi signal in my home and in my office. I have a good cellular signal in my home and a mediocre cellular signal in my office. My phone will NEVER choose to use wifi calling when at home and less than 50% of the time when in my office. If you have a mediocre LTE signal, your phone can still choose to make calls via cellular over a non LTE signal. Simply because you have VoLTE enabled does not mean ALL your calls are made via VoLTE. When I had Google's Project Fi for a period of time, my phone would ALWAYS default to wifi calling if available. On Verizon, wifi calling RARELY is used whether I am using my Galaxy S7 Edge, Google Pixel, or Galaxy S6.

Lifespeed wrote:

Comments about what is best for Verizon, Verizon's motivations, etc, are really not my concern.

They should be if those motivations are the reason Verizon does not implement what you would like to see. As far as I am aware, Google's Project Fi is the ONLY cellular provider which offers simultaneous ring on their cellphones and I assume that is because it is CLOSELY paired with Google Voice which already had that capability and therefore the cost for the capability had already been in place for the prior service. If you want simultaneous ringing on a cellular phone you MAY have to hand control over to Google. This is the reason why Nomorobl is not available on ANY cellular carriers(with a possible exception of Project Fi) except currently on a beta program Nomorobo is currently running.

Lifespeed wrote:

I just think they could simul-ring my VoIP landline too. They have the ability, it is really not much of a technical leap.

While it MAY not be such the technical leap, that does not mean there is no cost to it. I certainly don't know if there are hardware/licensing fees for the switching hardware/software needed in order to do what you would like. If there are, I am sure those fees are not minimal.

0 Likes