vtext not working
adeguzmanrivco

Hello - my place of work sends emails through a server and the server states that the message is delivered normally to 52.11.xx.xxx:xx as well as other address's, however i am not receiving anything.  How do I get this resolved?  This is imperative to my job function that I receive these texts. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: vtext not working
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might need to work with your work's IT group to trace the emails route through the system.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
adeguzmanrivco

I work for the IT department and I got an answer from a Verizon rep, she told me that vtext will not work from an SMTP server and the only way I could get it resolved was to pay for their enterprise messaging.

0 Likes
hh93454
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, that's interesting. They may want to update the FAQ at Vtext.com FAQs | Verizon Wireless to say the service does not work. I've been chasing this for a bit, and it DID work for many years. Here's a maillog entry showing the message successfully being delivered to vtext, but never to my phone (domain names and phone number changed)

Jan 7 15:26:11 mailscanner milter-greylist: w07LQ8ae010570: addr 74.208.193.xxx from <harold@xxxxxx.org> rcpt <8051234567@vtext.com>: autowhitelisted for another 168:00:00

Jan 7 15:26:11 mailscanner sendmail[10570]: w07LQ8ae010570: to=<8051234567@vtext.com>, delay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=30834, stat=queued

Jan 7 15:26:15 mailscanner sendmail[10578]: w07LQ8ae010570: to=<8051234567@vtext.com>, delay=00:00:04, xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp, pri=120834, relay=smtpin01.vzw.a.cloudfilter.net. [52.201.44.47], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (YISMeENEeRpLTYISNeCBfQ mail accepted for delivery)

Any chance this is going to start working again?

Thanks!

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

I just sent a test email from my Comcast email to my phonenumber@vtext.com and it was successful.  My phone is a Droid Turbo 2 if that has any significance.  What make/model phone isn't working for you?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
hh93454
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! It seems to be mail server specific. I just tried from two different mail servers. One made it through and the other disappeared. I wonder if there's some invisible filtering going on. If so, it would be great if we could, perhaps through a web form, tell vtext that we WANT to receive messages from a certain email address or server IP address. I've been using this for more than 10 years to report SSH logins to my server. A few months ago, it stopped working. Since it DOES work from another server, I guess I'll direct the emails there and have it forward them on (until vtext stops working on that one). I don't think it's traffic related since there are only a few logins a week, if that.

By the way, sorry about the delay in response. The reply button on the messaging system gave me an error message suggesting I reload the page. Reloading did not fix it. Tried logging out and got a "bad gateway" error message. Finally deleted cookies and logged back in to reply.

Harold

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

That 'bad gateway' issue when logging out from the Community Forum has been a stickler for months, with no resolution. There are numerous posts regarding it.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
hh93454
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, got it figured out. Called Verizon, but their technical support did not seem to know anything about cloudfilter.net. I put a support ticket in at cloudfilter.net, and they VERY QUICKLY responded that there was a problem with my SPF record. The IP address of my mail relay had changed, and I had not changed the SPF record, so they were dropping the emails. I just added the new IP address to my SPF record, and stuff goes through! So, I suggest checking the SPF record as reported by mxtoolbox.com . Then send an email from the account that cannot get into vtext to an account on another domain (since emails within the same domain will not check the SPF record). Look at the mail headers to see the IP address that passed it to the receiving email server. If the IP address is not on the list of IP4 addresses in the SPF record (or some other method of qualifying, such as PTR), that is likely the issue.

So, this worked for me! Good luck!

Harold

0 Likes