verizon unlocked my iPhone to use on straight talk's $45/month plan.. by accident
scrantondad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I read here that Straight Talk uses AT&T's network for unlimited talk, text and data...

https://www.facebook.com/VerizonShareYourWalletPlan/posts/264455173667893?notif_t=like

so i called verizon and i canceled the rest of my plan and only paid a small ETF. then i asked for the unlock code for my iPhone to pop in a sim from straight talk... i tested it with a tmobile sim and it worked.  i didn't think they did this, but thank god that rather than paying $110 for 1gb under their new Share Everything plan, im now paying $45 for unlimited talk, text and data.

now they called me and they said they weren't supposed to unlock it except for overseas sim cards. too late. if they try to lock it from their end, im taking them to court.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: verizon unlocked my iPhone to use on straight talk's $45/month plan.. by accident
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Existing customers aren't required to change to the Share Everything plans! You could have kept your existing plan except for the unlimited data plan feature. When you upgraded at the subsidized price, you would have been required to select one of the tiered data plans introduced last year.

Straight Talk might use Verizon Wireless or AT&T's towers depending on the area of the country you use the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: verizon unlocked my iPhone to use on straight talk's $45/month plan.. by accident
scrantondad
Enthusiast - Level 2

but i wanted to switch. i did not want to give any more of my money to a company that is out to take my wallet by increasing prices and offering less data. i barely use the phone feature on my phone and id rather reward a company that's fair... like straight talk.

Tidbits
Legend

scrantondad wrote:

but i wanted to switch. i did not want to give any more of my money to a company that is out to take my wallet by increasing prices and offering less data. i barely use the phone feature on my phone and id rather reward a company that's fair... like straight talk.

You could have bought your devices outright and nothing will change as of now.  It's no different than what you are doing now.  Hope Straight Talk gives you the coverage you need.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
scrantondad
Enthusiast - Level 2

but i didn't have 900 to buy a new device unsubsidized.

im using my iPhone 4s on straight talk's network so other than the $30 ETF, i really saved a ton of money considering my non share everything plan was costing me close to $100 a month anyway with 2gb of data.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You paid that anyway...  Straight Talk does not subsidize so from this point forward you will be paying outright.  Also Straight Talk throttle you down to 100kbps if you go over 2GB of data.  At the end of your contract you paid back the subsidy.  You would have paid the $600+ if you wanted a new phone on straight talk.  When the 5 comes out and you want it you'll see what I mean.

It's good you are saving $100 a month and you probably will not use what ST does not offer that Verizon offers.  For me personally Verizon is a must right now as I travel and T-Mobile and Sprint do not cover a lot of the places I go.  60% of coverage for 50% of the cost isn't worth it for me.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Tidbits that makes me wonder on that as well:

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Hmmmmm least expensive ETF would be $120 with a smart phone

Tidbits
Legend

budone wrote:

Hmmmmm least expensive ETF would be $120 with a smart phone

good catch.  Also $60 for a basic phone.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Budone you retaining if you can the S.C. 500..or shopping something different..

0 Likes