unauthorized voicemail access attempt message
unkfrank

For the second time in less than a month, I went to retrieve my voicemail, and before I got the "You have X unheard messages..." message, I was greeted with a message that went something like:

"There were (2 / 3) unauthorized attempts to access your (voicemail, password, something) at (time fo day) from (my cell phone number). To replay this message press X, to delete this message press Y" (so I couldn't save this announcement/message).

I wasn't on my phone either time, and did not see any missed calls or voicemails around that time. I changed my password after the first recording. I take it this is an attempt to hack into my voicemail account to plant something, reset a password, listen to my saved voicemails... or?

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

Frank

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: unauthorized voicemail access attempt message
budone
Legend

I dont think there is more you can do beside changing your number. 

There could be endless reasons as to why this is occurring. It could be an ex of the former owner of the number trying to get in. The former owner thinking they can maybe retrieve an old message. Who knows. Could be someone you know.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I dont think there is more you can do beside changing your number. 

There could be endless reasons as to why this is occurring. It could be an ex of the former owner of the number trying to get in. The former owner thinking they can maybe retrieve an old message. Who knows. Could be someone you know.

0 Likes
unkfrank

I guess I just don't know, but how can it seem that the request is coming from my phone number? Is there some other way to access voicemail beisdes thru my own phone?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Sure, I could call into VM on my number, hit I believe * and I am asked to enter my number.... At this point I could enter yours, then guess at the password

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can dial your cell phone number from ANY phone, and just press * when your greeting starts to play - it will then ask for your password or PIN code.  So someone could be trying to access your VM this way.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

SuzyQ wrote:

Yes, you can dial your cell phone number from ANY phone, and just press * when your greeting starts to play - it will then ask for your password or PIN code.  So someone could be trying to access your VM this way.

True, but if he is not seeing any incoming calls......

0 Likes
unkfrank

Well, someone probably did something... I found a text message supposedly sent from my "home" number (it was listed in my Contacts for mapping and driving purposes) Friday... changed my PIN again right after that. And there was a phone call from "Unknown Number" listed on my missed call list at the same time as the text message was listed as being received. This is freaky...

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I hope it all works out. I have been there with an ex who felt it ok to see who emailed me, even though everything there was on the up and up. That's why I did not mind. She saw an email from someone we worked with and went bonkers. The email???? Spoke of a recipe.

0 Likes