"Unlimited" Game Subscriptions
spinksmg71

Recently, my phone broke at the hinge.  No real reason, just wear and tear.

I had the insurance, so I called the company and ask them to replace it.  I paid the $50.00 deductable.  No issues there.  Great service.  

I got my replacement phone, and I used the Backup Assistant to get my contacts reinstalled.

I dumped my pictures to my computer via the blue-tooth.  Uploaded a few of them to my phone.

Then, I got to my games. I don't have many.  Four of them.  I bought most of these various times I was stuck in airports. IQ Academy; Rock & Roll Jeopardy!; Trivial Pursuit; Scrabble.  Pretty fun time-killers that work the brain a bit.  I bought them as "Unlimited" because it seemed economical. Trying to transfer these, I was stuck, so I call customer service.  

The Representative was very nice and professional.  She told me that the games were linked to the device, and since I got a replacement device, the games aren't transferable.

I was pretty annoyed.  However, she told me I could download them again, and that they would credit my account in the coming months.  I thanked her.  She did a fine job.  I'm not upset with her.  I'm planning on doing that soon.

I am, however, very annoyed that games are not truely unlimited.  They are only unlimited on the device.

In a few months, my wife and I were planning on resubscribing (we're on the Every Two plan).  I am not thrilled that if I change phones, I lose these games.  If I would have realized games were stuck on phones, I would have saved the money and bought a book to read instead. 

Why are the games stuck to devices?  Why not assign them to accounts?  Or specific numbers?  I would even be willing to pay more for them if they were..     

So far, this is the only grip I have with Verizon's policy.  If we choose to stay with Verizon, I obviously won't be buying any more games.

Still a little annoyed by this,

Michael G. Spinks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: "Unlimited" Game Subscriptions
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

What I can think of as far as justification for the inability to transfer the games is simply the T&Cs that govern the download. Just like vcast music downloads, games are specifically licensed to the phone and that phone's ID alone. When attempting to move that file, the software simply won't allow to (I assume) avoid copyright infringement. Silly? Possibly, but I'm 100% sure that is the reason behind all of it, otherwise, just like your contacts, pictures, videos,  they'd be able to be transferred as those things are not "copyrighted"

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-24-2009 06:26 PM
0 Likes
spinksmg71

SMRyan:

Thanks for the reply.

I can understand the need to protect copyright.  The people who made these games deserve not to be cheated out of money.  

It just seems odd to me that purchasing an "unlimited" game via a wireless service would be restricted to the downloaded device, one-time only.   Obviously, the games aren't really software as most of us know it.  

If my computer crashes and I need to purchase a new one, I can reinstall a piece of software I purchased.  Sure, I might need to input a registration code or something, but I purchased it.  I can use it unlimitedly for the use I purchased it for.  This software doesn't work that way.   

If this system was designed to protect copyright, there are certainly better ways, and from a consumer point of view, there should be more fair ways--like tying the game to an account or a specific phone number; or letting Back-up Assistant back-up the games.   

A cyncial friend of mine stated the system appears to be just be a money-making device.  I think that it's an example of lack of truth in advertising--playing on the idea of "Unlimited."  (I'm sure it's in the small print somewhere that a game download is only good on that one device).  

Unfortunately, I think my friend and I are both correct.  And you're exactly correct--Verizon could justify it as copyright protection.

Ulitimately, this system falls short of what I would call best business practices.

Michael G. Spinks

0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

Of course you'd be correct to assume Unlimited is always a marketing tool that is worth looking into to determine the base of what is actually unlimited.

Unlimited for game downloads for VZW simply means the download is a one time download on that device and game play will not be based on a recurring subscription. The loss of the game or device, would require a redownload, and thus another charge.

VZW will always cover your device in the case it needs to be replaced under the warranty in which case you can redownload the game and have the cost re-credited.

Of course in this case, you'd be charge as it was an upgrade and not a warranty issue.

Regards

0 Likes
Shirozato
I will add that it actually is not vzw policy to reimburse you for redownloading games/ringtones on your insurance replacement device. policy only allows for reimbursement if phone was covered under manufactor warranty... consider yourself lucky - the rep you had was nice!
0 Likes