phones don't ring sometimes
generalkb

I have three phones in my family plan, and two of them sometimes don't even ring when people are calling us.  None of them are on silent or anything.  Why does this happen?

This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens quite often. How can I fix this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: phones don't ring sometimes
Shirozato
Without knowing specifics about your phone/area, I can tell you in many cases it comes down to one thing. your reception in your area - dial *228 (send) option 2 to update your phone to the nearest towers. Or try changing your ringtone, some are more difficult to hear then others.
Message Edited by BradC on 03-26-2009 08:58 AM
0 Likes
generalkb

yeah, that's what the technician over the phone recommended. Hope it fixed the problem.  so, *228 option 2 updates to the nearest towers.  What does *228 option 1 does exactly? It sounded like upgrading system or something, but I did that too just in case.

0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

There are numbers inside your phone that make your device work besides just your mobile that you may not even be aware of in most cases. These numbers are crucial in making your device work.

*228 option 1 reprograms all of those numbers AND will also update your roaming list of nearby towers

*228 option 2 simply updates your roaming list of nearby towers

*228 option 3 will switch your service to the device calling this option and will do all of the above

I would advise to reprogram the phone at least 4 times per year, which is about once every 2-3 months..

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-26-2009 02:26 AM
0 Likes
generalkb
Thanks for your reply! What are exactly these "numbers" inside my phone that have to be reprogrammed every 2 months or so? I am curious because I never had to do that when I had t-mobile or maybe I wasn't just aware of it.
0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

Well actually these numbers are all in relationship to the switch each company has. Believe it or not, all carriers have this in the phone. These numbers are thigns such as: The System Idenitification #, The mobile Identification number, and of course the Mobile Directory Number ( your cell phone #). Each number services a specific purpose. Since your phone is wireless these numbers are used to "sync up" your phone from your location to VZW's switch.

Typically these numbers rarely need to be changed or modified, but sometimes it may be needed to correct an issue with your device regarding calls/texting/picture messaging etc, etc...

You are right though. You rarely will eve rneed to know these numbers, as they should always be working properly. But sometimes when a phone has a hard time programming for example, you can manually input the numbers that are in VZW's switch into the p hone to get it working.

That's what *228 option 1 is doing. It is (over the air) setting those numbers that are listed in the phone to what VZW has in their system.

That's why you have to always select the approrpriate option when going through the *228 for what you're wanting to do. This is why simply picking up a phone and dialing *228 and using option 1 will not work, because the switch cannot determine what number that phone should have or should be set to. This will work of course if you already ahve the phone on the line since it will go off that recent information.... So, thats why VZW released the *228 option 3, which allows you to tell the system what number it is to go to, and then it will verify you're an account holder/account manager based on the last 4 of your social security or billing password. It will then know the number and start the process of switching the ESN on the phone and also the actual setting of those IDs mentioned earlier.

Hope this brings some clarity :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-26-2009 05:11 PM
0 Likes
elusivecritter
Contributor - Level 1

For the month or bi-monthly updates all you need to do is the *228 option 2. This updates the tower or roaming list for the entire country, not just the local towers. It's every tower in the USA that your phone has access to. So if you're going on a trip do it before you leave not after you arrive. The only time it will make a difference in reception is if there have been changes to the towers in the area you're traveling in.

You don't want to do option 1 until you're told to by a tech or if you're programming a phone that you've activated online or over the phone or possibly some other way. For instance you upgrade your phone via MyVerizon and receive the phone at home you can accept the contract online or over the phone by calling the number in the box. After accepting the contract you dial *228 option 1 to program the phone.

Option 3 is to activate a different phone on an existing number. Say you wash your new Blackberry Storm and want to activate your old LG Chocolate until the insurance replacement arrives.

0 Likes