network extender does not congiure
jlarch3rr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a Verizon network extender today (Samsung Model SCS-2U01) to attempt to resolve fact that Verizon does not provide 4G service to my home, even though the Verizon coverage map explicitly says it does!  I setup the Verizon-store-recommended extender according to the online user guide (not included with extender!), including adding GPS antenna (since no GPS signal detected), plugged it into a network port on my Verizon FIOS "Actiontec #MI424-WR Rev. C" cable modem).  The network port I used I know works because it has been used for last year for a computer workstation!  The GPS external antenna runs along a large window on the second floor of my home.  The only better reception I could offer it (which is not recommended) is to install this external antenna on the outside of my home!  What is really weird is that when I plug my TomTom GPS device into my computer to get map updates, it has no trouble finding a GPS signal!

@

The network extender indicator lights are as follows...

• Top (power) solid blue
  • 2nd from top (System) slow blinking red
  • 3rd from top (GPS) solid red (even after installing external antenna)
  • 4th from top (WAN) solid blue.

I have to know what is wrong and how to fix it!!  Since I got my LG G2 phone about 1 month ago, I have never received a 4G signal on the phone at home, and usually get a 1-bar 3G signal, and sometimes no signal at all!!  Though some might scoff at the cost, I am surviving on bit work (ever since my last full time job in 2008).  The $265 for the extender and the $50 per month increase in my wireless phone bill is infuriating me because I cannot use my cell phone at home.  Unfortunately, no matter how many times I tell my clients to call me on my always-reliable land-line, they continue to leave important messages on my cell phone that I cannot receive unless I actually leave my home and drive around!  Then they get upset if I don't return their messages the same day (always because I did not go out, and did not know they left any message!).

Hopefully someone in cyberspace has a clue how I might be able to resolves this Verizon Mess.

From my experience, I can only scoff at the Verizon Wireless ads touting best coverage of any wireless service in the USA...

Hoping for a way to fix this....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: network extender does not congiure
jlarch3rr
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's now 8:30 am - next day.  Leaving system on all night, the SYS light is now solid blue!  Still have issues with GPS - it was solid blue when I looked this morning, but is now slow slinking red?  LG G2 is indicating 2-way 3G transmission, but with only 2 bars, varying up and down to 4 bars...  Guess the network extender seems to be doing it's job!  Probably never get 4G at home, but at least I should be able to receive messages and make calls...  Feeling somewhat relieved...

0 Likes
ragsj
Enthusiast - Level 1

HI Jlarch3rr,

I just got a network extender.  It's at the back of my condo about 60 feet from the window/balcony.  The extender cannot find a GPS signal where it's located near my router/modem.  In talking to Verizon, they said I have to get the GPS closer to the window - I am using the GPS extension cable.

Anyway, for $8.93 I bought a 100ft Ethernet Cable (Amazon).  It hasn't arrived yet but using that cable, I should be

able to find a GPS signal.  Then, the verizon person said, you can go back to your router/modem because once the

extender boots up with the GPS signal it will stay connected.  I do have one question, however. I don't want to live with a 100ft cable attached to my router/modem. When I disconnect the long ethernet cable and replace it with the short cable, will I lose the GPS signal and be back where I started from?  What a pain. I have one bar and sometimes no service on my smart phone.  Hope this extender works.  Steve

0 Likes
ASA12
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can remove the GPS - However, if you lose internet or power the unit will not recover. GPS is important as this is 911 will find you

jlarch3rr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Steve...

I wish you luck resolving your situation!  It's truly frustrating to have to spend money and time to resolve Verizon's inability to provide a signal in zones explicitly marked as 4G!

A thing to consider, is your condo a garden-style (1 floor) layout with others above?  If you don't have other units above you and just roof structure, I can't help but think this also might help.  Don't have the tech knowledge of GPS, but it would seem that a GPS (electromagnetic - not optical/light) signal does not only seek windows to enter a home, and that it should be capable of penetrating a (wood) roof structure - thought maybe not as strongly.

Again, without the tech in depth knowledge, another suggestion.  Will the network extender work on a wireless network just as well as a wired (ethernet) network?  If it could, you might be able to find a device that would receive the wireless signal and transfer it to the extender.  Probably need to ask Verizon tech about this idea...

I will note that, when I submitted my original posts, I gave up making the device work.  I did leave it on overnight, though, and, in the morning I had 4 blue bars!

Good luck!

John

0 Likes
ragsj
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks John,

I thought about that transmit/receive device. Verizon tech couldn't help me but

maybe Radio Shack, etc. has something. I'll also look on line. Gotta be

something that will talk wirelessly from router/modem to extender. Too obvious

to not have been invented.

Thanks for your help...appreciated.

steve

ASA12
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am sure it can be invented, but having it wired is more secure, and less chance of of other wireless signals interfering with your call.   May even have something to with VZW network security.  There are 3rd party options such as the Wilson Electronic booster (model Soho) .  This requires an outside antenna and does not require your internet connection. Just my 2 cents worth

wfitz1964
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also own a Samsung network extender. It didn't start off smoothly but in the end it worked out. I periodically notice sys light will blink red this is often has to do with network activity it also occurs around 8:30 pm which is more than likely peak time for network use by Cable modems in my area. I have noticed LED will turn amber if my wireless device is not in my home . in your case I would call verizon & make sure they do not block any TCP & UDP ports or IP address make sure you also call verizon & make sure your device is registered. lastly make sure in router IP address is registered and in some cases you can configure either port triggering or pass thru. My experience is Samsung modem only routes EVDO & 3G signal as far as LTE your out of luck. I also live in a dead zone here in castro valley & I have posted my request for cell hone tower installation.

All this device does is give you 50 to 100 square foot bubble of cell phone service in 3g . Beyond that it is godsend but I also remind cell phone signal booster out in market that work compatible well if the site has some marginal signal strenght. If there is no signal this is only game in town until VOIP solution comes out from verizon.

0 Likes