<Moving to an area with NO coverage, still get an ETF?
dragonlady1978

I've been with verizon since 2004, and always had great coverage.  Moved out of state to a very rural area for a few years in that time and never had a problem, didn't have to change a thing.

I'm moving to Simpson, LA in a few weeks and just thought to check the coverage map....there is literally NOTHING.  Got panicky and called customer service, who verified that there is no coverage there.  None even close to that area.  I'm not even talking about 3g or 4g coverage - I don't have any smartphones, I use simple voice/text.

I have 3 lines and my contract end dates are 10/2013, 3/2014, 3/2014.  The rep I spoke with was nice, and originally he said that they would probably be able to waive the ETF fee since I don't really have any options here, but after checking he told me it could not be waived. 

Is there anything I can do (or buy) to either boost the coverage area somehow (with a device/hardware) to keep my service, or get a discounted/waived ETF if I can't?  I'm at a total loss as to what to do now.  I was told I could atleast port my numbers to another carrier even though it's in another area, but checking coverage maps for other providers hasn't made me feel any better....two other major carriers show coverage in this area as "satisfactory" or "moderate", which is better than a big fat nothing but still disheartening.  I know it's my problem, Verizon isn't forcing me to move to an area with no coverage.....but my FIL is elderly and not doing well so we have to move there to help, hubs will be taking a very big cut in pay at new job so I'm just exploring any possible avenue to not spend money I don't have to - any help is appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: <Moving to an area with NO coverage, still get an ETF?
Not applicable

Your only recourse is to pay the ETF's and sell your phones to recoup some of the cost.  If any of those are smartphones with unlimited data, you might find someone willing to pay you to take over your plan.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well they used to waive the ETF if you moved to an area without coverage. I'd go to a local VZW corporate store( make sure it's corporate ) and ask. Other than that, perhaps you can sell the phones since they aren't any good to you anyways and use that money to help pay off the ETF. I believe as of now your ETF would be $275 for all 3 phones.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You can look on Ebay and see several people selling and people bidding on Verizon unlimited data plans.

0 Likes
dragonlady1978

Thanks for the suggestions...the rep I spoke with did tell me I had the option to get someone to take over my contracts, they'd just have to pass the credit check.  Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the market for a Verizon contract with 3 lines.  I don't think my phones are worth much, since they're 1 1/2 years old and not smartphones.  I've got 2 pantech jest II's and a samsung intensity.   I just checked-there are no buyers for my models on usell or gazelle.

There is a corporate store in the area I live now, I will definitely give that a try.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well even all you get is $5 for a phone it's $5 less dollars have to pay. Also the worst they can say at the store is no and you're not in any worse situation than you are now.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Your phones are basically worthless, but if you have 3 unlimited data lines, they would be worth a lot to a lot of people.  Take a look at Ebay and you'll see.  You don't have to sell them to one person.  You could sell them to 3 different people.

0 Likes
dragonlady1978

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I don't have data at all.  Just voice/text.  I have the family share 1000 plan with a 1000 text pkg. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

In that case, you have 3 basic phones, so the ETF would not be that much.  The ETF for basic phones is $175 minus $5 per month completed on each contract.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

VZW no longer allows someone to get out of a contract due to where they  move. Too many abused the option just saying they were moving and never did and switched to another provider.

I do not believe ANY provider will waive the ETF for a move any longer