is Verizon selling my number?
JoinMyIdiocracy
Enthusiast - Level 1

My cell phone number, which has always been with Verizon, has been registered with the federal do not call list since 2008. Over the last several months I have been receiving several telemarketing/robo-calls per week from many different numbers. Since I can only block 20 #'s with Verizon's paid service (which is ridiculous btw): Family Base, I block all of these numbers using a 3rd party app on my phone. But the calls keep on coming. So, is Verizon sharing or selling my phone number? Not many people have it, and it's not posted on the Internet anywhere.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: is Verizon selling my number?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your DNC registration hasn't expired yet, be sure to report the Robocalls and Marketers that you have not authorized through some service, to the FCC. Companies doing cold calling can get fined for calling DNC enrolled numbers, unless they can confirm that there is a direct business relationship with you.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/robocalls

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand how this can get in the way. We aren't sharing or selling customer information. Some of the common ways that this happens is by attaching your name and number by filling out forms with companies that do. It sounds like you are in the know of the things that re in place to help. We are unable to prevent everyone from calling. If you have the number, maybe rotate them as needed.
BobbyNN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Do you have a smart phone? Do you download free apps?  If both of those are yes then you have your answer. You setup a business relationship with said developer which in their EULA allows them to send the 3Rd party affiliates your contact info. At that point they are not violating any DNC or simular regulations as a business relationship has been established.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your DNC registration hasn't expired yet, be sure to report the Robocalls and Marketers that you have not authorized through some service, to the FCC. Companies doing cold calling can get fined for calling DNC enrolled numbers, unless they can confirm that there is a direct business relationship with you.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/robocalls

cb516
Enthusiast - Level 1

Definately my question.  Same story for me...I changed my phone number (drastic measure) and it was peaceful for about 2 weeks.  Then, it started all over again.  In addition, they charged me $15 to change my number!  So playing in settings on my phone (IPH XS max) under privacy, I find a switch to turn off the option to share my information!!!  I switched it off, but I fear the damage is done.  My new number now just keeps racking up tons of telemarketers and scam callers.  NOT HAPPY here!!  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cb516, we take your privacy and peace of mind seriously. The last thing we want is for you to be bothered with unwanted spam/robo calls. The $15 fee is something we can waive as a courtesy if you've changed your number due to unwanted phone calls. 

Share iPhone Analytics which you shut off under Privacy is not a Verizon settings and has nothing to do with sharing your number. This is simply a feature that helps Apple improve their products and features. 

Good news is that we also offer a free version of our Verizon Call Filter App. This can help limit and stop the amount of spam calls you're receiving. We do offer a premium version for $2.99 per line but is only optional. You can learn more at the link attached here: http://spr.ly/66081JU0j

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes