iphone switches between LTE and extended 1x
dntaulbee

I have a iphone 6 that I recently migrated from ATT to Verizon.  It works great in my home area (zip 40601) before and after switch but on weekends, I stay in a remote cabin (zip 41339) that until recently, had absolutely zero signal for any of the major carriers.   Verizon added a tower about a year ago (which is why I switched).  the tower is about 3 miles away behind a couple of hills.  on front porch, my phone usually picks up LTE when I turn on Cellular data.  Internet is reasonably fast but shortly after starting an app such as a weather map, it often switches to extended 1x even though I am stationary and it will not switch back unless I toggle cellular data off then back on.  Sometimes that works, sometimes not and extended 1x is worthless for data apps.   I've tried some of the remedies posted in community discussions to no avail. It has to be a marginal signal issue as there is a location about half mile away that the phone picks up and stays on LTE and the signal comes from the same, single tower that is anywhere close to my location (the next closest is over 10 miles). How can I prevent my iphone from switching to 1x or how can I easily/consistently get it to switch back to LTE?  I considered buying a cell signal booster but was told by someone with the exact same issue that he bought one and it did not help and now fear going to the hassle of buying and installing a booster only to return if it doesn't work....any suggestions?  anyone had better success with a booster? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iphone switches between LTE and extended 1x
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dntaulbee, 

I know how important it is to ensure that you are getting a great signal, even when traveling away from home. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble recently. Let's figure this out. Do you know of any other Verizon customers in the area who also have trouble with 4G connectivity? 

Michelle_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dntaulbee

Yes, my spouse who has same phone and plan and same issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dntaulbee, thanks for confirming those details for me. With having multiple devices having the same issue, a network extender would be equal to using Wi-Fi calling and other indoor solutions. Let’s see how your device is communicating with the network. Please complete a network reset and test the connectivity. I have supplied a link to the steps in this process. Let us know of the results. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-207110/

Rodney_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dntaulbee

Should I do this at home where I always have LTE or at cabin where I have the issue?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a good question dnatulbee. I would recommend waiting until you get home to do this. If your coverage is working well at home though, you may not even need to do this. So, I do want to go a step further here though before you complete that. I took a look at our coverage map and the zip code you provided of 41339 is considered to be extended LTE. So the service you are seeing is likely what you will see moving forward. 

Erin_VZW

0 Likes
dntaulbee

Understood, however right now I am replying from the remote location and I am showing LTE, and the speed is great but it may switch to extended 1x at any time even though there is only one tower anywhere close to my current location. When it goes to 1x, if I toggle cellular data off and on, it will sometimes revert to LTE and I really think the issue is mostly due to weak signal, so back to my original question, if I install a cell signal booster, will I then be able to get better LTE signal, not just stronger 1x? I would think it would but I have seen posts that say otherwise.

Dt

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dntaulbee, thank you for this information and I definitely want to answer all of your questions. Before we proceed, I do want to ensure we are on the same page. I see it was stated that you migrated your device from AT&T  to us, Verizon Wireless. Are you and your wife using currently using the AT&T iPhones? Which booster are you looking to purchase? 

Natasha_VZW

0 Likes
dntaulbee

Yes, we both are using the iPhone 6 previously used on AT&T but if you look at some of the community discussions, it’s clear this is not an uncommon issue and other phones particularly other iPhones are involved. There also seems to be several posts from people that also migrated from at&t, but not all. Not sure yet which booster, just understand I need a 700 MHz for an I-6.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
OldManBo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see you are working with a VZ rep but are looking for other input.  I have a similar situation except in my case Verizon was providing adequate 3G service without a booster and that is why I went with Verizon.  Then one day they totally disappeared except for intermittent voice and text, ie. 1x, outside my house.  I purchased a Surecall Fusion 4 Home booster with a yagi directional antenna and immediately was getting solid LTE 4G service.  As time went on the  LTE service began to decline until at this time even with the booster I am experiencing exactly what you are seeing.  From what I understand about the characteristic we are experiencing, it is indeed a signal strength issue and as activity increases on the tower the power to each user decreases.  Apparently there is a small time delay in the power reduction and this occurs when you connect and begin downloading data.  In your case a good booster like the one I have most likely would solve the issue you have.  VZ's Network Extender will not, unless you have a high speed internet service available.  In my case Verizon has told me that all their money is being applied to 5G and they will not increase the capacity of the existing tower or add a tower in my area.  Essentially telling me to live with it. 

0 Likes