Re: iPhone Trade-In a Scam - Warning
jessrag
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has anyone drafted a letter to their state attorney that we can use.  I think if people had a draft they would send it to their state attorney.  I am going to write to ours, I'll post my letter when I get it done.

0 Likes
slmillerindia
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK - so here's what we need to do... I've contacted Edward Wyatt who writes on tech issues for the NY Times and has written about a scam of AT&Ts. If everyone who has been shafted by Verizon on this trade in business would send an email to Edward Wyatt at the NY Times, we might get Verizon to pay attention!

0 Likes
slmillerindia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Or Tweet him at: @wynattnyt!

0 Likes
Jylphoenix
Enthusiast - Level 3

how's the tweeting going?  I've sent emails now to the recycling program and no responses.  Have people sent letters to BBB?

0 Likes
tooserious4u79

I Have sent mine in on the 7th of October still not received.  The address on the envelope is supposed to be sent to Bloomington in the address appears to be an electronics controls company.  Also my added tracking with insurance shows it was delivered on the 10th.  I think a BBB complaint is in order this issue should be illegal. 

0 Likes
the_bluth

Sent in 2 iphone 4, valued by Verizon at $200 each with trade-in program. Had phones checked at Verizon store, where I ordered 2 iphone 6 plus units. Store manager said both phones were fine, but could not take old phone in without new phones available. Of course, by the time the new units arrived, the old phones had to be mailed in directly. Again, went to Verizon store, where manager said both phones were fine. Now Verizon says they cannot turn on one of the phones and value will be $7.50 ! They are evaluating the second phone and refuse to return the first one. What a rip-off !!

0 Likes
Mstantz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tweeted!

Guess what?!!! I just had the same thing happen!!  Followed every step exactly and sent an iPhone 5 back on 9/30 valued at $200. Great condition! The website never had any record of it so when I called they said it was in processing and I would get my gift card in 14-27 days.  Got it yesterday for $36!!!!!!   When I called they said there is no reason listed why and it had to be escalated and I would hear back via email in 7-10 days after they pull the phone and re-evaluate.  I ask if I can get it shipped back and he tells me "no they arrive there in bulk and they cannot ship a specific phone back".  I then asked how they would pull my specific phone if they arrive in bulk and that is why it cannot be shipped back....he said they will search through phones to find mine to reevaluate it....  Why does this not seem right?  He said they only respond via e-mail.   I am very frustrated and had many happy years with Verizon but have lately been very disappointed with their customer service. 

0 Likes
Mstantz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just wanted to post an update since Verizon did resolve this issue.  I had called at around 3:30 yesterday about my $36 refund after following EVERY step required and got "escalation" story.  I tweeted and posted in this forum and at 2:42am an e-mail came through that the reason I didn't get my full refund was because I did not turn off Activation Lock (which by the way is a lie since Apple provides a great link where you can check if it has been turned on or off  and mine was confirmed off - www.icloud.com/activationlock/ ).  However, as a courtesy they were issuing an additional gift card for $164 within the next 48 hours.  So - Verizon - THANK YOU for doing the right thing!  However, you need to rectify this issue with your "Device Recycling Team" ASAP as I have been reading on many forums most are not getting the quick resolution that I received.  Nor, should there be this many discrepancies between what is shipped back and what is stated as being received. 

0 Likes
Jylphoenix
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also got the additional $164, so I'm happy that Verizon is doing the right thing.  However in the future I'll be wary of sending any devices back to them via online.  Next time, I'll go through the in-store process.

0 Likes
macdevin
Enthusiast - Level 2

For my case, I sent in two phones.. Sent them via postal service with insurance so that I could track them and if Verizon pulled a fast one that they were broke.. USPS got deal with them..

After 3 waiting 3 weeks I get an email that one of the phones I was getting $200, The other I was getting $36 but no explanation.. With my current frustrations with verizon over our missing 1 GB promos I decided to wait a few days before I call.. The next day I got an email from them explaing the why...... "Find My iphone was left on" so they valued it at $36, but they would go ahead and give me credit for the $200. I know I turned them both off and I even confirmed via the iCloud website they were both off.. Not sure why or if it was truly on..

I have learned that going thru this process and dealing with them on the missing 1Gb promos that calling does not help much..  People need to take to twitter... But in talking with our Lawyer the best recourse people have is the US courts.. You can and should file a grievance in small claims court..

Good luck to you all in this endeavor!!

Message edited as required by

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes