how is it that I am supposed to reactivate an old phone when the only authorization option is a text to my broken phone?
aaron542
Enthusiast - Level 3

All I want to do is reactivate my previous phone until the replacement comes on tuesday but it has to be authorized with a text code,  no option for email or the like,  and thats pretty stupid considering my phone is broken and the text is not an option.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how is it that I am supposed to reactivate an old phone when the only authorization option is a text to my broken phone?
Weth
Legend

FAQ

I'm trying to activate a different device because my old device was lost or broken and I can't receive the text message code. What can I do?

If there's another phone on your account, you can choose to have the text message code sent to one of those phones. If there aren't other phones on your account, you'll need to call Customer Service at (800) 922-0204

View solution in original post

Re: how is it that I am supposed to reactivate an old phone when the only authorization option is a text to my broken phone?
aaron542
Enthusiast - Level 3

So now im sat here with no mobile,  and of course I cant get a live chat going to resolve this issue,  it seems really poor in the planning department to have text authorization as the only option for activating previous devices,  considering most people would only be doing that in the case of a lost or broken phone and therefore be unable to recieve a text

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

FAQ

I'm trying to activate a different device because my old device was lost or broken and I can't receive the text message code. What can I do?

If there's another phone on your account, you can choose to have the text message code sent to one of those phones. If there aren't other phones on your account, you'll need to call Customer Service at (800) 922-0204

aaron542
Enthusiast - Level 3

It wont send it to the old phone because its the same number and it just wants to send it to the btoken one,  no matter how I suspend it or anything

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Yes it needs to be a phone on your account. Since you only have one, and it is broken, you will need to borrow someone's phone and call the number above to get activated or go into a Verizon Store. The reason is security so people can't just activate phones on your account without your knowledge and then you getting charged.

0 Likes
aaron542
Enthusiast - Level 3

I umdrrstand the security part,  however,  I am logging in as myself here on the website,  attempting to get live chat assistance,  using the forums and all,  but of course I will get no assistance,  going into a store is a disaster and would likely take the entirity of my day to accomplish a very simple task.  I dont understand why there cant be an email option.  It is the email that is linked to this account so I see no reason for that to be any less secure than the text method,  and if ive opted to suspend my service and I am reactivating an old device that would,  in the vast majority of cases be due to the fact that the current phone is broken or lost,  so the text option is  a bit absurd to begin with. 

Weth
Legend

Text option is actually more secure since it is connected to a device that is known to be yours. Email is not nearly as secure as it is not directly connected to a device you known to be yours.

Even if you get on live chat, I don't think this can be done there, and you must call in so they can confirm it is you.

Many companies do use the email option, so it is not completely absurd, but it is less secure. However, that is not going to change in the next week, so arguing the point won't help you get service. You will need to borrow a phone and call the number listed above. I suspect if you do get on live chat, you will just again be frustrated.

0 Likes
aaron542
Enthusiast - Level 3

Even so,  if someone were to stealing my identity to the point of stealing my phone and such the text isnt any more secure,  nor is a phone call since we are now assuming that the thief already has all the information they need.  At this point it is now a waste and just another thing to be dissapointed in verizon over.  The replacement phone is going to be here tomorrow anyway so to have to go waste my time and money to drive to a friends house to borrow their phone for something that should only take 5 minutes to begin with would be foolish.  There are ways this process could be made easier,  it wont ever be made easier,  but it very well could.  And that is the part that really aggrivates me,  that the entire process is a hassle and somewhat counter intuitive.  I find myself generally dissapointed in these scenarios as I never get much out of verizon themselves in the way of assistance

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Honestly, you really could have had the phone activated in the time it took complaining. Text to your phone is not perfect, but it is safer than email. It is 2 factor authentication and you will be seeing more of it. Email doesn't cut the security grade for it. We are dealing with it at work. Text only to phone we confirmed is ours plus passwords. You will be seeing more and more of this.

This is a good reason to get a free Google Voice account. You can call from any computer without borrowing a phone and is a great back up. I have had to do that on a few occasions, works great and it is free.

rcschnoor
Legend

What is your current phone? What is your old phone? If they both use SIM card which are the same size, all you have to do to activate the old phone is to take the SIM card out of your current, broken phone and put it in your old phone. Turn on your old phone and you are good to go.