free tablet scam. What now?
Katheleen
Enthusiast - Level 1

like any number of people, according to what I've read here, I was a victim of the free tablet scam last year. I went to a vez on corporate atore to upgrade my phone on May 11, 2015. I was told I was eligible for an upgrade on my phone and Thant I qualified for a " free tablet". In theory the cost for the  ipad would zero, I would pay an activation fee and then 10.00 per month for a line fee for the iPad as long as I was upgrading my phone with a contract. I asked numerous times about additional charges and was told that the total cost of the bill would include a device purchase fee for the iPhone 6, the line charge for my phone, my husbands phone and the iPad. There would be no charge for the IPad and I would be able to upgrade the phone at no cost at the end of two years or pay an additional fee to upgrade early. The rep hand wrote the estimated monthly costs which appeared reasonable.

and like many other sm I was shocked to discover monthly equipment charges for the "free iPad"  which of course appeared well after the 15 day rerun period. After going intothe store, I was to.d there was nothing that could be done so I have continued my payments. This problem was compounded by a billing issue in which I was charged for 10GB of data after upgrading to avoid data overage 2 times. Despite requesting to return to the original p,an, I continued to be charged. I again went into the store and was informed that my original data plan no longer existed and I had been automatically switched to a 4GB plan. I never agreed to a switch which also represented a significant increase in cost from my original plan. The representative at the VaNess store, Mohammed, pulled out paperwork and told me I would need to sign up for a new pla. None of this made any sense so I refused the paperwork and went to another store where I was provided with a 50.00 inconvenience fee and my plan was switched to the 1GB without signing a new contract. That representative at the Pine St SF store explained that the other rep was mistaken and signing would have committed me to new terms. I felt that this interaction was the first proprietor and honest customer service I had recieved in a year.

i have now completed a year of service and my understanding is that as long as I pay off the balance on the tablet that I can cancel the ipad line with no penalty. Im reading that an upgrade requires payment of 75% of the cost and that basically you just recieve a credit towarda the new iPad. Nothing remotely near what I was to.d and so, if I can  pay off the 300  still owed and cancel the line with no penalty thata my best option . And look into new service in the future after I extricate myself from these obligations. Sorry for the long winded statement,mom still angry. ia it true I can pay off the equipment balance and cancel the line with no penalty?

Labels (1)
Re: free tablet scam. What now?
Bigfish101
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same exact thing happened to me. When we we're in the store we were offered the "free tablet". We were not informed this tablet would be on a contract. Called to have it taken off and found out it would cost us $175 to cancel it. Figured it's cheaper now to pay the two year contract for $120. I DESPISE this phone company. We're gonna be traveling the country and switched to Verizon cause they had the best coverage (which isn't true anymore cause their competitors are just as good or even better). Customer service sucks. I was on hold for 48 minutes the other day, the rep asked to put me on hold for a moment. I've only been a customer for 5 months. I was a loyal Sprint customer for 20 years and totally regret switching.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Somewhere in the signed papers, there is mention that a commitment is required to obtain the free tablet. The sales agent may not have mentioned this verbally, but, it is in there and Verizon Wireless goes by the paperwork, not by what sales associates "promise".

Verizon Wireless, being a cellular service provider, sells products that operate on its network. Devices require telephone numbers and that is where the company recoups the cost of the "free" tablet. I have only had Verizon Wireless service, so I don't have first hand knowledge of what other carriers do, but, if one offers a "free" tablet, chances are high that a telephone number and the associated costs will apply as well.

From a cost perspective, purchasing a WiFi version of a tablet and tethering it to a smartphone is the way to go. A 4G/LTE tablet is best if not tying up a smartphone and draining the battery is most important.

0 Likes
ladyshaper
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am now trapped in this same issue. BUT MINE is the tablets KEEP DYING. Same deal husband upgrade phone, cheaper if you take this amazing piece of junk, so we did. Cost was not to much different but I am NOW ON MY THIRD TABLET. And I barely use the things.

Tablet LG G Pad™ X8.3 - 

is the one I am stuck with now. I think the simcards cause it to burn up and stop working? I dunno got a replacement, it is working but NO STYLUS? they stole my stylus! It slides into tablet so I did not think to remove it since it is part of it. And now I have a working tablet no stylus and off to the store for round 4 of 2 hours waiting and most likely going home with no stylus. I told my hubby today as soon as our plans are up we need to shop around. I hear other companies have unlimited data and do not push broken products that cost hidden fees on people.

They better resolve this for you

AND FOR ME. GOOD LUCK.

WARNING do not take the free anything just pay the fee and get the [removed] out.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The fees aren't really hidden. They would be spelled out in the details of the promotion.

When Verizon Wireless or any mobile service providers give away or sell tablets at a reduced price, it comes with strings attached....namely a two year commitment along with the associated costs of a second mobile phone number and data.

Unless 4G/LTE capability is really needed or desired, purchasing a WiFi only tablet/two-in-one and tethering it to a smartphone might be a better option.

0 Likes
BRIWOR30

I just realized I was paying $10 a month for a "free" tablet.  At the time I was switching from T-mobile and I just wanted to get the new iPhone 6 plus and port my number.   Well, the sales rep asked if I wanted free tablet, I said no, she kept insisting that I take it cause it was free.  I told her that I have a couple iPhones, Mac Book, Mac Pro, and three iPads, why would I want an Android tablet??  She said, its free what can it hurt, just take it.  After  saying no 5 times and get insisting I finally said yes just to shut her up!!!!!

Yesterday I realized I was being charged $10 a month for the tablet.  So I called customer service to just have the line removed, I didn't want a credit, just remove the line.  She said that ti would be $175 de-activation charge.  I then said that I wasn't on contract and why is there a charge for deactivating???  Well I found out the tablet was on contract but phone wasn't.  Needless to say I was [Removed]!!!!!  So i explained too the rep what happened and she still said that there was nothing they can do.  I was so mad, at this time I just upgraded to the iPhone 7plus and told them that if they do not take the deactivation charge off, I would switch carriers.  Still she said that she would not take the deactivation fee off. 

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Unfortunately for you, you signed a binding agreement to pay the $10. Hopefully lesson learned.

0 Likes
borgranta

I have seen many smartphones offered for free with 2 year contract and I have not expected the carrier to charge nothing for the phone service.  How can Verizon be expected to provide service for the tablet for free? 

0 Likes
borgranta

The best price for monthly data service on a tablet only plan is $10 from US Cellular but they require the purchase of the tablet in addition to the purchase of the plan.

0 Likes
borgranta

US Cellular had a tablet on sale for 1 penny not too long ago but it was a 4G LTE only tablet and I do not trust the quality of their coverage especially after seeing someone having trouble playing short Youtube videos in an area that is supposed to be an LTE area.  Also I have experience with prepaid 4G LTE from Verizon and know for a fact that it performs at speeds in excess of 25 Mbps at home during thunderstorms while at the same time I was lucky to get speeds at 3Mbps on my  prepaid AT&T wireless phone.  When used in good weather at home I would get speeds of about 15-20Mbps at home.    

0 Likes