fraudlent website
aaronp19

I received text message with fake website address verizon.vtext9.com and Why Verizon let these messages to its customers?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: fraudlent website
Tidbits
Legend

It isn't all that easy to catch these people.  All of this is done online.  Sometimes domain names are registered and sold to companies for an ridiculous amount of money.  Companies like Apple, Verizon, Microsoft and such try and purchase what they can and when they can.

Makes it kind of tough... There are two domains I want to purchase but both sellers want $250,000+ for them(I don't make that kind of money).

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Maybe I'm not understanding, but if it's a fraudulent website, then Verizon didn't send it and they have no control over the messages you get that are sent by someone else. You can probably call customer service and report it. They may have a department for reporting fraudulent messages, or phishing scams claiming to be from Verizon.

Tidbits
Legend

they do have a legal team just for it. It's how Verizon can get domain names from fraud places like those and to shut it down.

0 Likes
kaco
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like Tidbits said, it's hard to catch these people and a lot of it is beyond Vzw's control in that it is not considered 'illegal'.  But we can do our part to help Verizon and protect ourselves.  I make a habit of not purchasing app's, I always go for the free one's or go with out.  This helps me control my bill and red flags it if it has gone up considerably so that I question it immediately.  Anyway.. I recently found a charge on my bill and immediately contacted Verizon to ask them what it was for.  Seems I received an unknown source txt selling their product and I failed to respond immediately (as I try to) with the "Stop" reply text.  I told the Vzw rep that I always reply and am sure that I did with this one too.  She looked into my msging for that day and said I did, but not for several hours.  Seems these 'guys' can put you on their monthly plan IF you don't respond within a certain time frame and then wha la...your in and your being charged right away and may not even know it.  The Rep was kind enough to credit my account with no problem.  I asked her what I could do to prevent this in the future, she suggested that I put a block on this kind of texting AND add my phones to the National Do Not Call listing (which I had recently updated and update once a year whether it needs it or not...I think this is suppose to be good for 3 years anyway).  Give it a try.  The txting I receive from unknown sources is down to one in the past 2 months.  By the way...you still get the text, it just gives you a notification that you received it and have to manually open it.  Good luck

Wildman
Legend

Spamming is becoming a major problem that requires the carriers to stay on their toes, there isn't any guarantees that they can catch them all because they have been using some unique tactics to get around the security that has been put in place to stop them.

I have notice this notice come up on my web browser when I access Verizon's forum site but I realize this is from changes made to site, to play safe I contacts Verizon and reported this so they can update the certificate information.   Things like this happens and I am sure they will resolve to problem once the issue is brought to their attention..  Usually all it takes is to fix this is  to clear the bookmark, clear history and cache of browser and reload page to resolve..  This works for me..

Verizon Cert Error.png

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello happy forum members,

Messages coming from the internet and spoofing is a very difficult thing to prevent. We are working constantly to provide customers with options on how to regulate such activities. Although the origin isn't always known from such messages, there are still options available. We offer a premium text message block for 3rd party messages and subscriptions. Also, on My Verizon, you have the option to block Internet spam and text messages sent from e-mail. To learn more about spam control then please visit the link below:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/spam_controls.html

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

KG127586759i

I got a robo call yesterday saying I  "had won a $100 credit  from Verizon, and should log into www.verizonhub.com with my login and password to redeem." Gee, since Verizon has my account they could just credit me without me having to login  to a fraudulent website to get the credit. Of course the number came up as "unknown" so I couldn't say where it came from.

Suspicion and cynicism keep you alive today.

Kate G

0 Likes