data usage going up while connected to wifi
groberts
Enthusiast - Level 1

how can this happen - my wifes phone is gaining usage charges for data while she is attached to my wifi and her mobile data is off on her phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: data usage going up while connected to wifi
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

groberts wrote:

hey thanks for the information guys - she has an htc resound - we had checked setting and mobile was turned off while she is at home and that is most of the time as she is a stay at home mom  - we did not check gps however and will do that - the router is in the house and for the most part we have a very strong signal, but I have seen her phone switch over to mobile even with the mobile shut off ?  Its really strange.

The mobile network can appear to be turned off but is in fact in standby mode when the WiFi radio is turned on. Try turning off the WiFi while at home to verify if the cellular radio turns back on by itself.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there groberts,

I'm sorry for the issues you are having with your wifes data usage. I absolutely want to make sure that everything is calculated correctly.

Which make and model device does she have? Do you see a strong WiFi signal when connected to WiFi? Do you notice this issue in multiple WiFi locations or just your home WiFi? Please provide additional details so that I can better assist.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you verified the cellular data connection is turned off and not dormant?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Not applicable

She should check in settings under data usage to see which application or function is using data at a high rate. 

She should make sure she closes applications that might run in the background while she is using mobile data.  (Like Mapping/GPS)

Make sure settings are configured to use wifi for backup and update and other high data use functions.

data usage going up while connected to wifi
groberts
Enthusiast - Level 1

hey thanks for the information guys - she has an htc resound - we had checked setting and mobile was turned off while she is at home and that is most of the time as she is a stay at home mom  - we did not check gps however and will do that - the router is in the house and for the most part we have a very strong signal, but I have seen her phone switch over to mobile even with the mobile shut off ?  Its really strange.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

groberts wrote:

The mobile network can appear to be turned off but is in fact in standby mode when the WiFi radio is turned on. Try turning off the WiFi while at home to verify if the cellular radio turns back on by itself.

0 Likes