data overage
DTAPSUGRAD

Streaming from CBS app with WIFI on and shows using data, now creating an overage.  WHY???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: data overage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DTAPSUGRAD, we always want you to know where you data is going and want your features you select to work for you. We are here to help look into this, since getting overage is never a good thing.

Have you ever had any issues with your phone not staying connected to your Wi-Fi connection before? Also is “Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections” enabled on your phone?

That feature can force your phone to switch between Wi-Fi and cellular data, just because the Wi-Fi connect is not as stable http://vz.to/2cmciRd

StevenG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have? Do you have cellular data turned off and not just on standby?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DTAPSUGRAD

LG G Vista.  Never had an issue before.  Yesterday the phone locked up, powered off and restarted.  Today I get a notice that i have data overages, and when I look at the details, it was while streaming with the CBS app.  I look and WIFI is on.  I have used this app frequently, and never had this issue.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the settings for the application to see if you can force wifi only playback.

If the 4G LTE symbol doesn't have a line through it, then it is not turned off. If it is just gray, then it is on the standby mode.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SHAKOU54

I received a message as well that I have gone over my usage.  I have never, ever, gone over my limit.  Something is up!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DTAPSUGRAD, we always want you to know where you data is going and want your features you select to work for you. We are here to help look into this, since getting overage is never a good thing.

Have you ever had any issues with your phone not staying connected to your Wi-Fi connection before? Also is “Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections” enabled on your phone?

That feature can force your phone to switch between Wi-Fi and cellular data, just because the Wi-Fi connect is not as stable http://vz.to/2cmciRd

StevenG_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DTAPSUGRAD

StevenG_VZW

I have never had an issue with the Wi-Fi connection before.  This was on my home wi-fi which has been in operation for 18 months.  I have been using this phone for a year and the only time I had an issue before was when the wi-fi on the phone WASN'T on.  In this case, the Wi-Fi was on because before streaming any videos we check to make sure that it is.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SHAKOU54, we understand how important it is for data to be under control. There are a variety of factors that can affect data usage. Have you seen our data utilization tool? It's a great way to see how your data is being used: http://vz.to/1QMPsLG.

JosephT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DTAPSUGRAD,

I appreciate this additional information. How much data does your phone show the CBS app used? How much data has your account used so far this billing cycle? What plan are you on?

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DTAPSUGRAD

From what I can tell by downloading the usage spreadsheet, there was 243mb recorded as used at 6:54PM and the an additional 558mb used between 9:42 and 10:00 pm.  I am not sure what was going on at 6:54 but I am sure from 9:42 to 10 was streaming the CBS app.  We have 1gig shared plan with 2 phones and never have an issue data usage.  As I said before, the WiFi was on, but it appears that data was used instead.  Right now we are sitting at about 1.225gig used this cycle.  The last 6 months data usage is as follows:

March:425

April 876

May 550

June 785

July 543

Aug 734

As you can see, 1gig is all we need.

0 Likes