cheaper to pay full price for phone and keep unlimited Data
stuart17474

If switching to new plans is going to raise your bill 20 or like me 30 bucks its seems cheaper to just pay full price for the phone and keep the safety net of unlimited data. over 24 months 20 extra is going to cost a total of 480 and 30 extra is 720... now if you upgrade to a new phone you are going to pay ~200 +30 for the "upgrade fee.. making the totals ~710 and ~950.. compared to just paying 650 for the phone.. of course this means more money upfront rather than over time which can be a problem for some people.  there is also the verzion changing your plan on you since you arent under contract move that they could pull as well, but of course at that point you could just move to another network.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: cheaper to pay full price for phone and keep unlimited Data
Lyondellic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am of the understanding that Verizon LTE phones will not be compatible with other carriers though. If true, someone could pay full price for a phone and then end up having Verizon pull unlimited data once their contract expires. They could sell their phone I guess. A lot of what ifs though (disclaimer).

0 Likes
stuart17474

yeah there are a lot of what ifs, if you end up getting a new IOS device in september those hold their values really well if you take care of them and have to sell it... i really dont think verizon is going to force over those not under contract i dont think they have ever done that before with anything else but i could be wrong.

0 Likes
tbui
Enthusiast - Level 2

My understanding of this piece of shitty news is even your grandfathered unlimited plan can be on the chop block. Figure that you pay upfront and few months later they all force you to switch to tiered plans. Great saving huh?

0 Likes
TalkTo_Chuck
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, those of us who are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan will be out of luck pretty soon. When we decide to upgrade to a 4G device, which is what just about everyone will do here in the next 2 years, we will likely loose our Unlimited data.

Verizon, please bring the unlimited plans back.

0 Likes
icerabbitje
Enthusiast - Level 3

As far as I'm concerned, if either of us were to get or need a new iPhone, whether this fall or next year; the promised grandfathered plan will be toast ... and we are not one bit happy about that, as we very well know that data use will only increase in the future.

More mobile data is being used, apps get bigger, more fun things come around the corner, ...

The same $130 now will get you one single measly GB of data to share between two smartphones as opposed to $130 beting 700 minutes + unlimited data or 2GB of data depending on when you got in. 

Thanks a lot, VZW! NOT !!!!!!!!

0 Likes
Duogen
Enthusiast - Level 3

True but,

130$ new plan = 2 phones and 1 gb + mobile hot spot

130$ your Ex. = 2 phones and 2gb.

Pay an extra 10$ on new plan and get 2 gb like before, but you also get mobile hot spot which right now is more than 10$.

Also whether you want to include it or not, unlimited Calls and txt can very well be accounted for as a benefit. as that is included in the 130, to where as you don't in your current 130$ theory.

0 Likes