Wireless Service Degraded
cpmont

Recently my wireless service at my home address has gone from 3 bars to 0-1 bar and it is very hit or miss if a call can be made or received. I find voice mails when I get service and the phone didn't ring. This is on all of my devices and not just one device. How can I get a check on your tower in my area?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Wireless Service Degraded
stef7
Master - Level 2

If you have an Android, you could download Net Cell Info Lite from the Playstore. If an iPhone, download OpenSignal from iTunes.

Run the relevant app and record the Signal Strength in dBm. Net Cell Info Lite reports more info than the iPhoine application. Also, both the Android and iPhone apps will allow you to run a speed test to determine upload and download speeds through the tower.

RSRP – The average power received from a single Reference signal, and Its

typical range is around -44dbm (good) to -140dbm(bad).

Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal
            Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal
            Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
            Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair
            Worse than -113dBm RSRP is poor

RSRQ – Indicates quality of the received signal, and its

range is typically -19.5dB(bad) to -3dB (good).

Greater or equal to -10dB (excellent)

Between -10 to -15dB (good)

Between -15 to -20 (Fair to Poor*)

Less than -20 (Bad*)

RSSNR – Indicates the Signal to Noise ratio of the signal, the higher the better

Greater or equal to 20 Excellent

Between 13 to 20 Good

Between 0 to 13 (Fair to Poor*)

Less than or equal to 0 (Bad)

Run the program and record the information for a few different times of the day, maybe early morning, afternoon, dinner, and very late at night.

Provide this information with your zip code to VZW. That aught to get the ball rolling.

apexi055
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem. Long story short, for some reason my google pixel phone really wanted to hang onto band 4 from verizon, which operates at a higher frequency (2100mhz for example), and isn't as good at penetrating buildings as the lower frequency signals.

When my phone was connected to band 13 on verizon @700mhz, I would go from 1 bar or no bars, to around 3 bars.

To get more technical, on band 4 i'd see -111dBmV - 120dBmV.

On band 13 I'd see 100dBmV - 110dBmV.

The problem is now fixed for me, my phone stays on band 13 most of the time, and I get a much better signal at home now. 3 things have happened since then, and I'm not sure which fixed the problem. Verizon sent me a new sim card, my google pixel recently received its October 5th security patch, and the PRL has changed.

I didn't use the app previously mentioned to see what frequency my phone was using, but I'm sure it's basically the same as the app I used, signalcheck lite and signalcheck pro.

SAUCAZ64

I just picked up an s8 plus and the new moto a couple months ago and my service got worst on both lines. Dropping calls and internet is x1. Signal is horrible. Neighbor​ has at@t and it's working like champ and I have Sprint as a work phone and it also works good. Zip code 95315.

0 Likes
CLHG18
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the LG v20 and ever since I've had it I've noticed this issue a lot and it is most notability in the places I spend most time. I been with Verizon since and Bell Atlantic Days and I never had to do a speed test. Always was the with service until last October. I've also used a lot of siginal/tower reading apps, but this one is great because it tracks the data and gives neighbor information. Thank you for suggesting Net Cell Lite.  I too noticed that on band 13 I had the best service at home. Still the lowest read is -107 -113. Now, I don't what is making make me not recieve calls or sound choppy because it is showing my neighbors in my building are in the same boat.  But I've had a different phone while living here an Android not by LG and never had a issue. I been going crazy trying to resolve this. I am sure VZW's will get it fixed I depend on their service because its my only phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the need to have a working service and connection in your area. Let's review your area in more detail. What zip code are you in? Does this only occur in your home or outside of your home as well? Are there others in the area experiencing the same issues besides the ones on your account?
JasperM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a reliable service connection is important, SAUCAZ64. Let's review the area in more detail to get your services working properly. I do not show any service issues in your area at this time. Are there others having the same issues? Has anything changed in the area recently? Does this only occur in this zip code?

JasperM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

My first response just got self-edited.

What is kind of sad, is that people are purchasing these incredibly great devices, more capable now than ever, with simply stunning displays and speed, only to find out, where those features are actualized is falling to WiFi because of net conditions. They might consider buying much cheaper devices, and picking up inexpensive tablets for accessing WiFi at home instead.

0 Likes
LUKLYO85

I have the same problem.  In recent months, my service has seriously degraded with Verizon.  I am  considering a different provider.  The whole reason I have been paying Verizon's ridiculously higher prices is because the coverage was better than other providers.  Now, they are worse than AT&T.

I also notice that it sometimes can take up to a full minute for a dialed call to actually dial!

Zip code 97055.

0 Likes
LUKLYO85

"When my phone was connected to band 13 on verizon @700mhz, I would go from 1 bar or no bars, to around 3 bars."

How do you connect to a different band?

0 Likes