Wireless Priority Service for First Responder
henrymc0
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm a First Responder with questions about Wireless Priority Service (WPS).  I've read almost everything that Verizon posed on the web about the serivce, and I'm still not sure of the answer to my question.

I know WPS provides priority call services across networks (Verizon and someone else).  But does WPS also provide data priority while on the Verizon network?  That answer isn't clear to me.

I'm trying to pick between Mobile Broadband Priority (MBP) and WPS.  I understand the benefits of MBP and I understand the phone benefits of WPS.  However, I don't understand if I get data prioritzation benefits with the WPS service.

I've talked to Verizon reps and I've gotten answers that WPS priority includes data and that WPS priority doesn't include data.  Which one is right?

Thanks!

Re: Wireless Priority Service for First Responder
mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

Allow me to welcome you to the runaround!  I've been dealing with this garbage for 2-months.  I think the final answer I got was, Wireless Priority Service only provided priority calling, however, Verizon adds priority data to WPS users.  But, then you look at MBP and it also states priority data and priority calling.  In one of the SEVERAL emails from Verizon reps, I was told that WPS is a higher priority......not sure if that's for voice only or also for data.  I will say that I was at an annual event this past weekend and I had absolutely no LTE data, even with the WPS and supposed data priority on my line.  The phone said LTE and had full signal, it was just a completely saturated network.  I thought the whole point of priority data is so we'd as responders would be put in front of other users.  I inquired with the government services side of Verizon (they are the ones who added the priority features to my account), but they responded saying they only add the features, they don't troubleshoot issues, and told me to call the general customer service number...so, I did just that, I called the general customer service number and they had no clue what I was talking about.  It's typically not a service offered to consumers, but recently they have opened up these features to consumer plans since most of us first responders aren't on a company phone plan.  Calling the general 800-922-0204 will pretty much get you nowhere.  Try 1-877-262-2950.  Keep me posted what you figure out and I'll do the same!

0 Likes
Jle145
Enthusiast - Level 1

The entire thing is a sham. I have had this on my phone supposedly for several months and have noticed no difference in data speed. When the system gets bogged down my speed and ability to text or make calls goes down with everyone else’s. They advertise like your line will have priority but  that is a joke. All it was was a knee-wiseguy reaction to the firefighters complaining in the California wildfires that they did not have the ability to connect when they were using Verizon and their speeds were throttled. So they tried to make the World think that their pro first responder by offering this service to compare with first net. But unfortunately it does not. Verizon does have great service but this is a huge sham. It would be great if it worked. 

mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

I couldn’t agree more.  The priority features have been added to my smartphone and to my jet pack; however I’ve yet to see a difference.  If I’m in a congested area, my phone with priority features performs the same as others without the features.  It’s possibly one of the largest scale of false advertisement I’ve seen.  I do not appreciate being told I have priority features to rely on when in fact I do not.  

tower5kc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am getting the same run-around. No one at Verizon knows what it is, and at large events my data is just a slow as it ever was. Unfortunately, ATT/FirstNet does not have good coverage in my area. Total sham.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would never want you to leave our family tower5kc. Our goal is for you to always have stellar service. I apologize if this is not the case. Don't worry we will get you up and running. When did this first begin? Do you know other Verizon users with this same issue? 

RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes
Jle145
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes others are having the same issue. First responders are told they have priority access to the tower and we in fact do not have that. It’s a great concept however it’s just not the truth. 

mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you read the thread you would know without asking that we are ALL having the same issue. 

mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

My previous response was directed at the Verizon rep on this forum.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mervin0587,

Having a proper connection is a must when you are a first responder, so thank you for reaching out and giving all of the details surrounding the situation. I'd like to gather a bit more info, so we can better diagnose what is going on. Regarding the event, you were at where there was no LTE signal, what was the zip code and cross streets? What exactly happened when you tried to connect to the LTE signal you had during the event (error messages, stalling, etc.)? How were your calls/texts impacted?

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes