Will upgrading my phone cause me to lose my data?
Crissa

I had my droid stolen and am able to get my early upgrade so I called today to try and upgrade it and was told I would lose my unlimited data plan unless I spend the full 500.00 on the phone but I had a friend who upgraded a few months ago and didn't lose hers.  Is this something new that is happening or was I given wrong information.  I will leave if they take away my data plan just for upgrading my phone but I don't want to leave and find out the person just didn't know what he was talking about.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Will upgrading my phone cause me to lose my data?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is new; started end of June with introduction of Share Everything plan.  To keep your unlimited data, you'll either need to pay full retail price for your phone or obtain one elsewhere, like ebay.  Getting a subsidized phone (i.e., using your upgrade) will move you to a tiered data plan or you could choose to move to the Share Everthing plan.  There are lots of threads on this forum about this.

0 Likes
GmaLES

Was on the phone to 3 different Verizon service people.  It really makes no sense.  When we were convinced to get the two HTC incredibles and receive unlimited data plan for $30, we were not told when you are able to upgrade in 2 years you will have to get a new plan (MORE MONEY LESS VALUE).  I cannot believe that there are not more people upset with this.  It makes no sense that you can purchase a phone (used or new) call them and they will transfer the service package to that phone but was told the system will not allow them to tranfer to an upgraded phone.  Been a Verizon customer for over 10 years with 5 phones and have never been told that the so called "grandfathered" plan has loop holes.  Does anyone have their contract with the unlimited data information.  The Verizon Customer Service person called it a "feature" not a "plan".  I too do not want to loose it.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

That is because when you last upgraded, no one knew they were changing their policy. They have now, so when you sign a new contract, if you do, you will then have to abide by the rules in that contract.

Otherwise, pay full price or get a device from eBay or such.

If I decide to take a subsidized upgrade when I am due, I lose unlimited data and nights at 7pm. Or I can stay with the device I have and all stays the same. Even if I pay full frice for a new device to keep unlimited data, I will still lose free nights at 7pm.

That is a choice I need to make before signing up again in January

0 Likes